A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Sewing wallet....and a new vinyl purse!!!!  (Read 2619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007 07:36:35 PM »

I've heard that sewing vinyl can really screw up your sewing machine. Has anyone else heard that???

I've been afraid to pick up a teflon foot and give it a shot because of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
travelbug
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007 09:26:57 AM »

I don't think that vinyl will mess up your machine....but don't take my word on it! I imagine that you could dull some needles on it though. The lady at the sewing machine store who sold me the teflon foot recommended that I buy special needles used for only super  heavy fabrics. But I have to admit that I actually forgot to use them, and have just been using my generic one.

I would be curious to know though if it is bad for my machine, so if anyone else knows please post it here Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007 12:42:04 PM »

I have been sewing on vinyl for at least 20 years--no problems--what type of problems it is rumored to cause? It really is no different  than any other heavy fabric--I use generic needles, and a roller foot or, if I am lazy, I lay tissue paper under and over and sew through all the layers--I have even made heavy duty boat seats with no problems--and I am sewing with a regular heavyduty kenmore--I dust vinyl with powder if I am making something like a purse and am having a hard time turning it inside out--keeps it from sticking to itself--I love working with vinyl, but the hardest part is that you can't really take out boo boo's because the needle holes show up, so, be careful not to make too many goofs that you can't hide--there are so many choices now--have you tried sewing with the woven vinyls?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007 12:46:23 PM »

I think I actually saw it somewhere on here a year ago when someone was complaining about how her machine doesn't sew the way it used to thanks to too much vinyl. That's primarily why I have stayed away from it!

So do I need a Teflon foot or a Roller foot? Husqvarna carries both types, and I'm not sure which is best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007 12:46:55 PM »

That wallet is so cute!  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
mickncrispy
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007 03:51:37 PM »

So do I need a Teflon foot or a Roller foot? Husqvarna carries both types, and I'm not sure which is best.

I have a Husqvarna and I have both feet.  If you sew a lot of heavy denim, heavy canvas, leather etc as well as vinyl then get the roller foot.  The roller foot is also good for small quilting projects instead of buying the more expensive walking foot and I believe that it helps sew really slippery fabric like satin (I haven't personally tried that out though).  If you are only going to sew "sticky"  fabric like vinyl then get the teflon foot.  I believe for minimal cost you can get the teflon coating sheets to go on the standard Husq feet as well.  Go into the Husqvarna dealer and try them both out.  Most dealers are only too happy to help out.  Hope I haven't caused more confusion for you.
The only reason I could think that vinyl would cause problems on a sewing machine would be due to the operator pulling the vinyl through when sewing rather than letting the machine do the work.  I have seen that done on heavy fabric before.  It can put the needle arm out of alignment and cause skipped stitches, broken needles etc.  I quick trip to the repair shop could fix that though and even then that would be a worst case scenario and not usual. HTH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ive got a perfect body, though sometimes I forget
Ive got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes, they do, they do
GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007 06:00:30 PM »

Thanks! I will definitely make a trip out there. I always see such nice vinyls that I would love to use on bags, but can't sew them right now Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007 07:17:13 PM »

In Calgary you can get both feet at Singer  Sewing  Machines just off of Macloud Trail SE address is 103- 7500 Macleod Trail SE ph.-258-0494. They just need the make and model of your machine.
I have both the roller foot and the teflon foot. But I haven't had enough time off work to really play. I get a few min here and there to sew but that's about it lately. But both feet will be useful. I love my roller foot for nearly everything. I've had it for fifteen years or more. The teflon one I just recently bought and plan to get into it big time.
They weren't expensive. Under 12 bucks each I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thin Fluffy Yarn Knitting Tip
What You Can Do with Yoyo Crochet Patterns
Three Zigzag Stitched Crocheted Chevron Patterns
Little Mary Jane Booty Instep Tip
Lining Up Catherine Wheel Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...