A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,314
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I think I'm crocheting, but I think it's wrong  (Read 866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2007 03:12:01 PM »

I made a square in single crochet, it's a little wonky, but I'm proud as it's the first thing I've ever crocheted.  I'm very confused about turning though.  I did it in rows, at the end of each row I made a chain stitch, then kept on going so I was working right to left for foundation chain, then left to right, then right to left and so on. Should I be actually turning the fabric around?  What about a right and wrong side of the fabric, will turning it around affect it at all?

Here's a picture of my square:

I also made a square in double crochet, not quite as wonky because I didn't miss as many stitches.  I've just learned triple crochet and I'm working on a square in that, but I need your help in case I'm doing it all wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 03:20:32 PM »

If you are not turning your work over with each new row then Congratulations! You are ambidextrous!

Most of us turn it over so we are always working right to left (or vice versa for the south paws). I think the confusion over the chain and the end of the row is one of the most common hangups of a beginner. Keep in mind that, if your are making an even piece with no intended increases or decreases, each stitch you make should line up with each stitch in the row before/beneath it. When you make your chain and you start the first real stitch of the row, look beneath and make sure the chain lines up to a stitch and your first real stitch lines up to the next stitch.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
FauxChina

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 06:09:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply, it helped quite a bit.  Funny that you say that I'm ambidextrous, as I only have one arm.

I'll keep trying and I'll give turning it around a try, I just thought that would screw up the right and wrong sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 09:25:23 PM »

You have to turn at the end of every row, unless you are working in rounds, or the pattern specifically says not to. Patterns account for the difference in the right and wrong sides of the stitches. As a matter of fact, your stitch instructions should say, 'chain 1, turn at end of row'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FauxChina

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007 12:09:27 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I started another square, this time I turned it, and what a huge difference, I'm using sc, hdc, dc and tr just to get the hang of them all. 

So far this square is far less wonky, I still accidentally decrease though but that's my own fault for not counting stitches.  Once I get all the basic stitches down pat, I'll spend more time counting them.

I also switched colours, I'm not sure if I did it right or not, but it worked for me.  At the end of my row before making the turning chain, I made a slipknot of the other colour yarn and put that on the hook and used it for the turning chain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 12:17:24 PM »

have you tried looking at the videos over at http://www.nexstitch.com? it's a great resource for beginners. and the videos help to clear up some of the mystery of crochet.

places like here help too... but for me, i have to see it in action.

and most people turn their work when they finish a row, just like a knitter passes the right needle to the left hand when finished with a row. the only time you don't turn your work is when you're working in the round, although i have found some patterns that call for you to turn your work... but i won't confuse you.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Full, Loose Curls at Desigual Fall 2014 NYFW
DIY at Home Mask for Dry Scalp and Hair
How to Rock Bangs Without Making a Big Cut
How to Get a Super Sleek Blowout Without the Frizz
Easy Side Ponytail Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...