A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! My sewing machine suddenly stopped working.  (Read 1173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artsy_pants
« on: March 25, 2007 12:59:04 PM »

My sewing machine is a Brother.. it's a couple years old. It was working fine, then suddenly it stopped. I don't think it over heated, because I used it a couple days later after turning it off and it still won't work. You can hear the motor running but the spinny thingie (what is that called?) won't move. It won't sew no matter how much I push the presser foot. Please help me! Perhaps something is slack/loose? anyone have similar problems?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jan1972
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 03:03:44 PM »

Feel free to ignore me,  but I had this happen to me a while ago,  on my machine you pull the "spinny thing" into a different position to wind a bobbin.  I spent three days trying to work out what the problem was before I realised that the bobbin winder was still spinning and I hadn't pushed the spinny thing back into the right place.

I'm sure that you can't be as stupid as me,  but if by some tiny,small,minute chance you are I thought I'd better suggest this.

The crafting time I have wasted through silly things like this is unreal.

Janette
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 04:55:56 PM »

My machine is a brother as well and I don't need to turn the inside wheel for the bobbin, I need to slide the little bobbin spindle over.  Either way, though, maybe you were winding a bobbin right before you stopped last time? 

However, if you are really freaked out and can't seem to get it to work either take it to a handy friend or to the sewing machine shop.  I recommend a sewing shop, but my bf and his dad did manage to fix mine a while ago.  I don't know that I recommend the handy friend route, though, as I was freaked out that they were going to break it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
artsy_pants
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007 08:33:13 PM »

I fixed it! It turned out the belt that makes the machine go was loose. I just stuck it back in around the... spinning thingie. Thanks for all advice, and I hope that this post makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onemoreseam
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007 02:26:18 PM »

Glad you fixed it!  I was going to suggest a broken belt.  Also, many cities have a sewing machine repair shop...if you ever have a more serious breakdown they can usually fix machines fairly inexpensively.  Mine also will clean & tune up machines to keep them running smoothly.  A good investment.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tartarus: Kingdom Wars II Book Trailer
Chuck Borsellino Talks About Pinocchio Parenting
GoldenGirl Book Trailer
Forever Young Book Trailer
Nina Malkin Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...