A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,596
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My favorite style of bag, in blue/green summery fabric- image laden  (Read 1838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HalfBrit
« on: March 25, 2007 09:26:55 AM »

A friend loaned me a purse pattern, which gave me the basis for this bag but I improved upon it and tweaked it until I have finally perfected it so it suits me and my needs perfectly.  There are 3 pockets on the outside, one is a pocket within a pocket- part zipper, part just open.

The inside is all pockets lining the walls of the purse and also a zipper pocket for little things.  There's a main area for larger things.  This bag was only the 3rd one, so it still doesn't have the inside zipper pocket like my more current ones do, but you can get the gist of it. 

Here are a couple of others-

This one shows the inside pocket-

The basic pattern is a rectangle of quilted fabric (I quilt my own so I can use any fabric I want)  23" x 15" with 2 pockets applied, leaving 3" for the bottom, and then the strap.  Sew the sides and box the corners.  Then make the lining with the inner pockets applied and stitched down into pocket sizes that work for you and a zipper pocket if you want one and sew those sides and box those corners, making it just a little smaller than the outer piece, like 22.5" x 14.5.  Attach the lining to the outside of the purse, make a piece to hold it all closed, add a magnetic clasp and turn and Voil!  A great purse with enough pockets to hold all your stuff.

You like? I really don't see myself ever buying another purse now that I've got this one.  Er, two....three......f our!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchqueen

Bury me with my yarn stash!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 09:54:57 AM »

Your bags are stunning.  Very similiar to ones I make, but I love your pocket detailing!  Also love your combinations of fabrics....we can tell you love what you do!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 09:56:37 AM by stitchqueen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

teodoca
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 01:55:27 PM »

They are all just beautiful!! I want to try some quilting too, so tell me, is there a special fabric u used or it can be just simple canvas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HalfBrit
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007 03:05:48 PM »

Thanks, Stitchqueen.  I do love picking out fabrics from my piles of stash, that takes me almost as long as making the silly purse.   Roll Eyes

Teodoca, I just machine quilt on cotton fabrics, like quilting fabrics, no canvas.  I use Warm and Natural batting in between my layers.  Works up great and is very washable.  I quilted these bags using a 1.5" grid, starting from the center and working out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007 08:27:18 PM »

I do love picking out fabrics from my piles of stash, that takes me almost as long as making the silly purse.

Ha!!  Me too.  Sometimes I go into my stash just to finger the fabric and imagine what in the hell I could make with it all.   Roll Eyes

I really like your bags; I love color in everything!

Do you use a rotary mat and cutter?  I want to get a set, but I want a mat that will cover my table -the thing is covered in tile, of all things- and that's sort of expensive.  Mom gave me a bunch of scraps that are cut at funky angles; I really want to use them up (to make her something) but I am not confident in my cutting skills.  I have a square and a good ruler; is that sufficient to begin with the scrap piecing? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
HalfBrit
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 07:20:11 AM »

Mishti, I don't do a lot of piecing, but if I did, I would use a rotary cutter and mat.  My mat is about 24" x 30", I think, not huge but since I work with small things it works for me.  I also have a smaller one, about 6" x 18".  Just be careful because you can really hurt yourself with a rotary cutter.

I love color and pattern so much that I can barely force myself to work with a solid, boring color.   Cheesy  I shop like that, too.  Not too many basic things in my closet.  Makes it hard to put outfits together..... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 12:00:26 PM »

I love your purses, color is great, pattern for the bag is good. You aren't just whistling dixie about getting hurt on a rotary cutter. I had to have three or four stitches from using one. Remember to always close it after each cut, and never ever leave it open on a table full of stuff  because you can reach down to pick up something and cut yourself. I have to be careful because I sometimes have cats trying to help me. If I stop for a while, they get bored and lay down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lynndell
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 07:58:30 AM »

I really like the bright colors and the quilting you have done.  Your fabrics look great together, to me picking the fabric is the hardest part.   Who  could carry one of these bags and not smile, very nice.  Lynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 06:31:04 AM »

Thank you for the lovely compliments.  This time of year my bag gets a lot of attention, I think people are just starved for color after a long winter. 

I also think one trick to picking out fabrics that work together is having a large assortment to pick from and taking the time to really see if you like it.  I'll lay it all out, sort of in the order I'm going to use it and let it sit there overnight.  The next day I go back to it and see if it still works for me.  And if one of the cats is lying on it, that's like a seal of approval.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Davy Rothbart Talks About Requiem for a Paper Bag
Meet Photojournalist Kevin Rivoli
Sandra Brown Talks About Rainwater
Kate Feiffer Talks About Which Puppy
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...