A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diaper Bag Closure Question!  (Read 686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFeltedOwl
« on: March 25, 2007 01:32:32 AM »

Hi ya'll
I just made a diaper bag for myself after not finding a single one that I liked and I am just not into the bears and bunnies type so I made one and it was my very first project using a pattern! I was so thrilled with how it turned out... sure there was a few things I might add/change but overall I am VERY Pleased with it and will post pics later but the problem is the pattern did not have any closure at the top of the bag and being a pattern newbie I didnt want to stray far from the pattern. So my question is, is there anything I can add now, after its done without it looking wonky? Like a snap, button, etc?? I just dont want to screw up the lovely outside....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misplacedhippie
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 04:00:13 AM »

Need a better description of the top.  Is it just open?  If it is there are Magnetic closures that look like snaps, but you get them near each other and they snap themselves, they can be installed in the lining so you don't mess up the outside.  I have seen them at my LYS for a few dollars, not having a good sewing store with enough notions to make me happy in the area, I am unsure, but you could probably find them at a Hancocks or other good sewing store. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
TheFeltedOwl
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 11:10:15 AM »

Thanks
Yes its just an open top... no closure or anything.

How can I add one in the lining after it is done? Just open my seam on the lining or ??
Thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misplacedhippie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 02:17:00 PM »

I would just pop enough of the seam to put it in, not more than an inch.  slide it down in there to where you want it, then put the two pieces together (one on the inside of the bag, and one between the layers of fabric.  Then just hand stitch the bag closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
CraftMomNancy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007 02:45:37 PM »

If you don't want to take a seam apart you could put the magnetic snap through all layers then cover it on the outside with a pretty button or iron on applique. The other thing would be to make a loop of ribbon or fabric and sew it on the inside edge on one side and on the other side of bag sew a button.The other option is to put ribbon or laces on each side so they tie in middle but I know I'd never take the time to tie it when taking care of baby/kids.
Nancy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brubendall
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007 08:54:16 AM »

I would use a magnetic snap, but personally, I would open a hole in the bottom of the lining big enough to slide my hand up there to install it.  This way you are sure to not mess with the top seam which you might see from the outside.  That's how I install my magnetic snaps anyway, it's the last thing I do before sewing up my turning hole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Little Planet Effect in Photoshop
How to Make a Multi Colored Eye in Photoshop
How to Isolate Colors in Photoshop
How to Change the Color Of a Car in Photoshop
Adobe Flash Tutorial - How to Make Basic Moving Text
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...