A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: please help me with my hair  (Read 1431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pirategal
« on: March 24, 2007 07:32:09 PM »

i have a formal event to go to and i want to do my hair myself. i want a 1920s look. (kinda like how christina aguliera has her hair now a days). my hair is chin length and its hard for it to hold a curl. i would like it kinda flat at the top of head and poofy/wavy at the bottom. i dont even know what this is called. if you can help please do. i have about a month to experiment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ffancypantss
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007 07:50:16 PM »

like this?

I would use a curling iron... here's a great tutorial: www.ehow.com/how_2831_curl-hair-with.html. You can buy one for under $10. have fun at your event!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy. com
ohmybritt
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007 11:41:07 PM »

if you find you usually have trouble curling your hair, you have a few options to make the curl "stick" better. if you decide to use a curling iron, you can buy special hair products that kind of prep your hair for use with curling / straightening irons- Redkin makes a good one called Starch Spray, but i think it's kind of pricy and if you just need it for one night you might want to try Herbal Essences or Aussie. OR, you could use rollers. they usually take a few test-runs to figure out what size / rolling arrangement works for your hair, but they definitely hold the curl longer, especially if you use a bit of hairspray before rolling your hair. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 02:24:06 PM »

I had a wedding to attend and managed to get my hair to do what you're looking for.  My hair also will not hold a curl, but what I did did last through the evening.  My hair was to my waist, so I doubt you'd need the time I needed with mine.

Washed and dried my hair in the morning and while it was slightly damp, I wrapped my hair around 4 or 5 large sponge curlers.  The way I got curlier ends and more of a flat top was to start the wrapping at the ends, but bring the curlers to the top of my head.  As if I'd done the wrapping starting at the ends, but while I was bend over so my hair was hanging from the top of my head to the floor.

My hair stayed in those curlers for several hours (probably 8 to 10).  I finger combed the curls out and then used hairspray.  (Not a lot though... I absolutely HATE the plastic helmet feeling it can give!)

I did do some trial runs to see what would work best for my head.  What I didn't factor in was needing to run through the mall for the near-hysterical bride-to-be to get fake eyelashes while I had the curlers in my head.  I told her she has to name her daughter after me because of what I went through for her that day.

Good luck and don't forget to take pictures!
Maimun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007 03:06:26 PM »

If you are going to style your hair with heat, try washing your hair a day or two (or more) before your big night. I hair is very thick and straight, and positively will not hold a curl when it is clean because it is too slippery. I also work hair spray or gel into my hair before curling. That makes it more obedient. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
Chihiro
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007 07:48:55 PM »

yup, as sundance kid said, definately don't wash your hair the day of the event (even go a couple of days if you can).  you can get it wet in the shower and comb through it with you fingers, but don't use shampoo or conditioner.  probably for this style i would use some kind of volumizing mousse too.  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pirategal
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007 05:30:23 PM »

thanks for all the ideas. so far all i have tried is pin curls, which worked really well around my face, but no where else. my mom has some sponge rollers and i have hot rollers, i just have to experiment a bit more. i also will probably buy a curling iron. thank you so much for all of the ideas im sure ill get it figured out. this helps a lot. ill have to remember to take pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ffancypantss
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007 07:23:46 PM »

ill have to remember to take pics

please do! I've used pin curls on my litte sister before (her hair is very fine as well) and they came out great, so I'm sure your's will too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy. com
LilMissPink
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007 03:30:16 PM »

i have your same problem. if you want curls that are guarunteed to stay nice, you might want to consider extensions. They aren't too expensive, and even synthetic ones look just as nice as real hair. I think the kind that would help you most are clip in etxtensions that come in pieces. Search the internet, you might find something you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007 05:32:13 PM »

I teach vintage hairstyle and makeup classes for my swing dancing club and do period styles for photoshoots/clients, and THE best way to achieve this look:

1.  Don't wash your hair for at least two days - the previous posts are totally right about that!
2.  Invest in something called "setting lotion" for you curls, you can find it in the ethnic hair-care section
3.  Dampen your hair a *TINY* bit where you want the curls, and work in the setting lotion (i.e., the bottom of you hair extending to the scalp, and in front where you want the fingerwaves)
4.  Using pin curls (preferred method), rag curls or little perm rollers, roll your hair in flat 1 inch sections from the bottom of your hair towards your scalp.  Roll the hair to the base of you head, you'll basically be pinning the curls at your hairline.  DO NOT roll to the top of your head, you want the hair up there to be flat.  Just roll all of the hair so that it stops where your base hair stops.
5.  Do this all the way around your head, and make sure you use 2 pins for each curl so they'll hold, in an X configuration.
6.  To achieve finger waves (top part of hair style), buy a package of those LARGE duckbill clips at a haircare place like Sally's Beauty or Ricky's, and alternately pull and push the hair fowards or backwards, holding in place with a clip.  You can push and pull by placing your fingers perpendicular to your hairline, and combing between the fingers backwards or fowards to pull the hair, while using your other fingers to hold all the hair in place.  This is why they are called fingerwaves.  Just make sure you use a clip for each different wave after you set it.

7.  Cover with a scarf or bandanna, loosely, and let it set/dry overnight or about 10 hours - hair must be completely dry before you take out clips and curls!
8.  Use your fingers to loosen the pin curls, spray with a good spray such as Aquanet, and fluff a bit.   Spray the finger waves, but don't pull them out when you're fluffing the bottom curls!
9.  Add a flower or clip, if desired, and ta-da!  Done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing .com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.b logspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Rolls
How to Make Herb Gravy
Butterflied Turkey Recipe
Delicious Steak Sauce
How to Make Southwest Baked Beans
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...