A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muffs, with added tutorial  (Read 5432 times)
Tags for this thread: muff , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hudelei
« on: October 28, 2004 02:12:33 PM »

I am almost finished making myself a muff as a glam accessory for winter.  This is what it looks like:

What I did was simply crochet a tube for my hands (a muff is a warm, usually furry tube people use to keep their hands warm in winter instead of gloves or mittens, in case you missed the last time muffs got popular, which was the 70s, I think; they've been around since at least the 19th century though).  I used one strand of a pretty chunky black chenille and two strands of eyelash (in this case, Schachenmayer Brazilia).  I used a single crochet stitch with a fairly small hook for the yarn I was using to minimize the holes.

I remember vaguely that my muff as a little girl had a neck cord to keep it on when you pulled your hands out, but I decided that would drive me nuts.  Instead what I did was make a wrist cord and tried to come up with a way to make it possible to loosen and tighten it.  I ended up making a chain of the chenille, threading a big wooden bead onto it, then folding the chain in half.  The big bead stays on the loop end; meanwhile I took the two loose ends of the chain and put another big bead on both of them.  I attached it to the side of the muff and now the one bead slides up and down the two chains and the other big bead will prevent it from ever escaping.

I was just read on another thread about muffs that has sprung up in the Clothing section that some people have been lining theirs with fleece, so as soon as I lay my hands on some black fleece, that's the next step, I think.

***Mosey on down the thread a bit and I've added more detailed tutorial.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004 07:27:58 AM by hudelei » THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004 03:52:51 PM »

very nice. i didn't know that was what they were called. my memory is that Samantha from American Girl had one of those. Poor me. stuck in my childhood Roll Eyes atleast i will admit i'm a geek Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kamithina
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004 02:20:07 PM »

That is gorgeous!  I don't suppose you have a tutorial of any kind, do you?  there is a great legwarmer pattern that would go with that at www.weirdmirror.org .  I think it's free, or at least it was when I got it.  Anyway, I LOVE your pattern!!!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
hudelei
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004 02:41:47 PM »

Thanks!  I will try to put up some more detailed instructions, since you're interested.  I must admit, I think I love it more than anything I've made recently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004 03:21:32 PM »

very nice. i didn't know that was what they were called. my memory is that Samantha from American Girl had one of those. Poor me. stuck in my childhood Roll Eyes atleast i will admit i'm a geek Wink
Awww! Samantha was one of my favorites, I still have my American Girl books. I always looked at the catalogue....but those things were expensive! I stuck to my paper dolls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
ilovemyff
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004 07:55:44 PM »

I've always wanted a muff! Makes me think of skating parties and Doris Day movies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modkatie
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004 01:15:53 AM »

I LOVED my childhood (early 70's) muff!!---it was white rabbit fur (is that so un-pc now or what??) and it hung 'round my neck every day for quite a few winters--I adored it.  Thanks for reminding me, maybe now I'll crochet one (would Angora yarn, still technically rabbit, be over the top? ha ha).

great idea, great job!

ModKatie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004 07:29:27 AM »

I've made two of these furry crocheted muffs now, so I think I can walk you through it.

Materials needed:
yarns:  one chunky velour or chenille yarn; two strands eyelash yarn
hook:  size H (or whatever size gives you a fairly tight fit to the thickness of yarns you have)
other:  two large beads with hole big enough for a crocheted chain of your yarns to pass through

Instructions:
1.  Holding all three strands together and using a fairly small hook, make a chain approximately 11 inches long.  Now test it out.  See if you would like the opening to the finished piece to be larger or smaller. 

Tip:  If you intend to line it with fabric or put a pocket inside or something, you need a slightly larger length of chain.

2.  Join last chain to the first chain with a slip stitch, forming a loop. 

3.  Single crochet in each stitch of the chain in the loop, marking the first stitch and joining the last sc to the first sc with a slip stitch. 

Tip:  Count how many stitches you have (this is handy because with these fuzzy eyelash yarns, it's easy to lose your place, skip stitches, add stitches, etc; marking the first stitch of each round and counting the number of stitches saves the hassle later of finding your work is expanding or shrinking hideously).

4.  Check the size of the loop again and be sure you like it (I do not like unraveling three strands of fuzzy yarn worked together because I end up with a horrible tangly mess; better to check now than decide you hate it ten rows down the line).

5.  Repeat step three until muff is desired length (or eyelash runs out -- in my case, the eyelash yarns always run out at about the right length of muff if I start with the usual 50g balls).

The black muff in the picture is about 6" wide and 10" long (and will be lined, etc., so it's a bit roomy).

6.  Make a wrist strap:  Make a chain approximately 15-16 inches long.  Thread one of the beads onto the chain, leaving it somewhere in the middle of the chain.  Double the chain over.  Thread the second bead onto BOTH ends of the chain and sew the loose ends to the muff on one end.  The bead with both sides of the chain running through it should slide up and down the wrist strap to tighten it and loosen it, while the other should keep the sliding bead from ever being able to escape.

Variation:

I made one out of two strands of white Kitten mohair and two strands of Schachenmayer Brazilia and found that with those yarns, the little holes between and around stitches showed a lot more than in the black one that was made made with a thick velour-type yarn and two eyelashes.  The black one came out so dense that I actually tested a piece of red fleece on the inside as a lining and it didn't show through.  The white one was a different story.  I'll absolutely have to line it, if I want it to be warm (I haven't done that yet) and decided to decorate it. 

I have basically no embroidery supplies and even fewer skills, so I just took some brown crochet thread and a needle and sewed some rough branches onto the outside of the muff.  Turns out embroidering on eyelash is kind of a pain, but the results don't look too bad.  Then I used some Japanese mohair in a pink orchid color to put little buds on some of the branches and attached three 3-D crochet flowers to the branches in a couple of other places.  The effect is sort of like those cherry blossom paintings (or it was supposed to be).

I made the flowers like this:
1.  ch 4; join with sl st to form a ring
2.  ch 1; sc 10 times in ring; sl st to beginning ch
3.  (ch 2; sk 1 sc; sl st in next sc) around, which should give you five little ch-2 loops
4.  sl st into the first ch-2 loop; ch 2 and then 4 dc in the loop; ch 2 and sl st in the same loop to finish the petal; sl st into next ch-2 loop and repeat procedure.
5.  Can you find the skipped sc back in step three?  It should be at the bottom center of each of the five petals you've just made.  You want to sl st into the back loop of that skipped sc (or frankly, poke into anything in roughly the right spot and the flower won't be too warped) then ch 3, and sl st in the next skipped sc.  You should end up with five loops again, just as in step 3, except they will be ch-3 loops.
6.  sl st into the first ch-3 loop; ch 2 and then 7 dc in the loop; ch 2 and sl st in the same loop to finish the petal; sl st into next ch-3 loop and repeat procedure.  Finish off and weave in ends.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lili
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004 08:55:44 AM »

i love the white one!

i may have to knit a muff... they are too darling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessicakes

Callipygian means having shapely buttocks.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004 11:11:53 AM »

thanks for the tutorial!! As soon as I can get to store, I'm going to crochet me one (or more) of these!

~jessicakes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Questions For Reggie Jackson
Lisa Renee Jones: What Are You Reading?
Deborah Meyler: What Are You Reading?
Colleen Hoover: The Most Wonderfully Unexpected Bestselling Author
Abbi Glines Reveals Her Favorite Characters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...