A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garden thru the season shots??  (Read 7149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

susankg53
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007 07:53:34 PM »

this is a childrens rocking chair that I painted last year and it needs to be touched up this year, but I haven't taken the time to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2007 08:49:01 PM »

they are carpet roses and lay pretty close to the ground anyway.  Actually, I don't know if he actually landed on the roses so much as he threw huge pounds of dirt that he dug up in my yard as he flew threw it up the hill to the steps and then flew across the street.  lol.  my hubby was standing 10 feet away from all of this when it happened.  We were also very lucky that none of the dogs were out as they would have been hit since they spend alot of time sitting by the steps being nosy and looking in cars as they drive by.  Any other time they would have been outside with him. 
What a jerk-not only a garden molester, but he could have been a dog murderer. Well. this is a great testimonial for carpet roses!
[i0107_edited_WinCE_. this is a childrens rocking chair that I painted last year and it needs to be touched up this year, but I haven't taken the time to do it.
I love the chair-the colours are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007 05:25:30 PM »

What a jerk-not only a garden molester, but he could have been a dog murderer. Well. this is a great testimonial for carpet roses!
Yeah, normally they like to stand a little higher but hopefully they'll pop back eventually (although it has been 2 months almost already).I should post the pics from the day it happened.
Supermedic, I got the salvia D. from Ebay...

thanks, I don't think its illegal here so I'll check it out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2007 07:00:25 PM »

We're only just beginning to get summer flowers here, the gladioli usually don't bloom until late, like August and September.

If these are too many photos, I can change to links.

I had to replace the cover on the cabbage circus with a cotton gauze, the polyspun shredded after some windstorms:

Little baby corns! I planted "Bloody Butcher" , which is supposed to be red. I am doubtful as to whether I will actually get any cobs, though:

The luffa are starting to climb

The first of the sunflowers have started to bloom. These were some volunteers in the corner of my second plot:

In the cabbage circus, the last of the kale, two types of cabbages - the foreground cabbages are heading and some are ready for picking, the cabbages in the background are being obliterated by cabbage worms. I am putting organic stuff on them tomorrow, but i think they've already done in those cabbages.

Baby chinese cabbages have taken the place of the mustards:

In my other plot, the coriander is in full flower and going to seed.

The leeks are also flowering, and completely coated with honeybees. I read that after flowering, the leeks will grow tender offshoots, so I will keep them and harvest the babies, then reseed them a little bit closer to the green onions in the plot.

The zucchini is really slow this year. Maybe the leeks are shading them too much. Last year I was harvesting fruit at the end of June, even with the hail incident

The tomatillo is hard to see, but it is starting to fruit

My lotus has four leaves, three of them appearing in the past week. I hope it will suddenly launch into vigorous growth.

Some kind of flowering herb

And the entire herb patch. The lavendar is in flower, the oregano is about to flower (I should pinch it back), and some of the mints are in flower.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2007 07:21:19 PM »

What a beautiful garden! I had no idea that leeks looked like that.
How do you harvest coriander seeds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2007 07:25:57 PM »

Your flowering herb looks like calendula to me. My leeks are minuscule compared to yours and I live further south on the front range. Embarrassed
We had a good hailstorm this week and my squash look very lacy right now!!! Your herb garden must smell heavenly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
pixing
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2007 07:39:21 PM »

that is definitely calendula - I have it growing in a pot with marguerite daisies and cherry tomatoes Smiley

As for the coriander, I found out that in Australia, maybe other places that cilantro is called coriander from the get-go, for some reason in the US it's only the seeds.  Coriander is a nice spice, but the leaves become bitter once it bolts, or goes to seed... if you want the leafy parts you need to have succession plantings.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2007 07:49:39 PM »

How do you harvest coriander seeds?
I cut the whole plant when it seeds and hang it upside down in a paper bag. The seeds will drop off into the bag and you won't have a mess
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2007 08:07:19 PM »

I have a bouquet of dried coriander that I cut last fall, and will use it for a new crop later this summer.

The leeks were actually last years, they are biennial and flower in their second year. These were very small last summer, and grew a lot in the late fall and early spring (I had a heavy cover over them and some other stuff - the very tender taiwanese summer cabbages even survived the cold (-10F) even though it is only rated to around 25F). The leeks aren't good to eat once they grow the flower stalk, which is woody - sometimes you get them from the grocery like that, with the flower stalk cut back, which is very annoying. The flowers are very pretty though, and have drawn in lots of bees that also pollinate the tomatillo and hopefully soon the gourds and zucchini. Unfortunately, the city turns off our water at the end of september, so fall crops that like the cool (like leeks) are hard to grow.

Your squash will bounce right back, balkandina! We had a very bad hailstorm in late June last year, my plot looked like this:
http://decapod.home.silentsong.net/hail5.jpg
the cabbages in the center were completely destroyed, but the zucchini on the far left sprang back after a week or two. The zucchini was beyond swiss cheese, only the tiny center leaves survived.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2007 11:37:28 AM »

Thanks for the hail support. I've had years here  (before the drought) when I had to replant the whole garden because of hail. Can't complain, though, at least it rains now!!!
I can't wait for my leeks-we ate loads of them when I lived in Europe and they're so expensive and hard to find in the states.
My chard is getting eaten up right now-I think maybe slugs-out come the little beer slug drowning bowls tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014 Highlights: Sporty Trends
NYFW Spring 2014: How Top Models Party Post-Fashion Week
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: The Most Stunning Street-Style Shoes
The Best Model Off-Duty Style at NYFW Spring 2014
Steal Her Style: Lea Michele
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...