I wish I had a better before pic of this chair!
Here's an idea of the material that was on it before:
screwdriver, to remove cushions from frame
Needle nose pliers to remove old upholstry staples.
Sharp scissors, straight edge & ruler to mark & cut pattern
1/4" staples and staple gun
Sewing machine with vinyl sewing foot
I removed the back cushion & the bottom cushion, carefully so I could use the old pieces as patterns for the new vinyl.
I took the bent tube metal frame down to the basement and gave it a fresh coat of glossy black spray paint.
I also took the cushion frames down and painted them with white Kilz primer because this chair had been used outside and the frames seemed stained.
I laid out the old pcs on the new vinyl, and gave myself an extra 1/2" on all sides to allow for mistakes. I used a straight edge to mark the cutting lines on the wrong side of the vinyl.
I wanted to put black piping on the edges of the back cushion, so I took 1.5'' long strips of black vinyl and folded it in half. It was thick material, so I didn't put a piping cord in. I did a quick stitch to keep it folded while I sewed it to the other panels.
Since you can't use pins to hold the pcs together when you sew vinyl, I used paper clamps.
Checking to see the piping is even as I sewed it to the panels.
I wrapped the back cushion in quilting batting to make it softer.
This was a trial and error process. I'd test out the new cover to see if it fit over the new batting, and add or remove material to try to make the new cover as smooth as possible. When it was just about right, I slipped the new cover over the back base like a pillow case, pulled it as tight as I dared, and stapled it to the frame bottom, where the seam wouldn't be seen when the chair was put together.
For the seat cushion, I just wrapped new black vinyl over the base and stapled it to the underside, making sure the staples didn't show.
I wrapped the arm rest cushions in the same manner.
I'm not a newbie sewer, but I'd never really worked with vinyl before. I wish I'd been able to get the back a bit more snug, but I think I can readjust it.
Gingerquilts gave me advice on the right foot & needle for my machine. (thanks Ginga!!!)