A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turtley goodness! Tutorial! (picture happy!)  (Read 2062 times)
Tags for this thread: origami , turtle , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2007 11:54:14 PM »

My name is Tohnia. And I make origami.  This is a tutorial for an origami turtle.  This is the way I make turtles, so feel free to modify steps if you feel that you can make it another way.  This is just the way that I find it works best.  All the lines that are dark are your FOLD lines.  It makes it easier to follow.

This is a picture of all the folds you need to do.  Broken down...

Fold:

A) Halfway length & width wise
B) Diagonally both ways
C) Cupboard door to the center length & width wise (basically halfway from your halfway fold in A
D) Fold each corner into the center

You next need to make a waterbomb base.  To do this, press the middle of two opposite sides into the center to achieve a waterbomb base.

Next, bring the bottom edge to the tip of your base and then press the two BOTTOM diagonal edges into the center.  This will give you your turtle base.  Repeat on the other side.

Now, fold the TOP part of your base (the one side that doesn't split into two, those are your legs) to the middle.  Repeat on the other side.

NOTE:  this next step is completely voluntary.  I only included it because this is the way that I find makes the best legs without having to guess at what would look best.  You can skip this step if you wish.  This is just the way I find it works best.

You will notice that the bottom of your model has 2 sides.  fold ONE of these sides to the middle line. Use this "guideline" to fold your leg to the guideline.  Repeat for all 4 legs.

Next, fold all the legs up from the middle line.  Repeat on all sides.  Next, fold the sides into the center.  Repeat on the other side.

Now, turn the sides of your model so the 2 sides with all the folds showing together, so that your now left with 2 legs on either side, and 2 long points.  These will turn into your tail and head.  Fold one side to become your head (fold down the tip of one side, I often use the more "ugly" side and press the two sides together to make a head).  Press the two sides of your tail and head together to show all your folds show again. (notice the cup & Benylin & spoon?  I'm sick  Sad and I took some medicine before I took the photos and forgot to remove it!  So just ignore that part!)

At this point, you will notice that there is a nice little "pocket" on each side between your legs.  The easiest way to puff up your turtle is to insert your index fingers (one on each side!) and GENTLY pull them down.

Your finished product!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010 03:36:27 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: to remove personal information » THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007 03:31:16 AM »

I have to try this! My kids love stuff like this. Thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ichigodream
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007 05:06:29 AM »

your turtle looks great! so cute *-* thank you for the tutorial! gotta try this, too >_<
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pookieb
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007 07:07:00 AM »

Thank you so much!  I think if I just saw this on it's own there are parts I'd be confused about but since I've been trying to make the turtles already I know exactly what to do =)  You are the best and I hope you feel better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

M_Hatter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007 08:57:30 AM »

Omygosh! That's just too cute!  Cheesy Thanks for the tut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007 10:06:11 AM »

As soon as I saw this tutorial, I whipped out my burnisher and some green paper (even though I'm at work :-P) and I got thru all of it except for the very last step....maybe I did something wrong, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to puff the turtle up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007 03:47:21 PM »

As soon as I saw this tutorial, I whipped out my burnisher and some green paper (even though I'm at work :-P) and I got thru all of it except for the very last step....maybe I did something wrong, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to puff the turtle up!

If you look closely, you'll notice that there is a nice little "pocket" between the turtle's legs (dirty image!).  Insert one index finger on each side, and place your thumb BENEATH that side.  Then gently pull the two sides apart.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix Oil Paint Colors
How to Use a Palette Knife to Apply Oil Paint
How to Paint on Paper with Oils
How to Improve Your Oil Painting Skills
How to Create Different Textures with Oil Paints
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...