A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interweave Knits Bonsai Tunic  (Read 10558 times)
Tags for this thread: interweave  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2007 09:56:25 PM »

I've searched, and realized that no one has started a KAL for the Spring '07 Bonsai Tunic! I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and I'll be starting as soon as I receive my yarn. I'm substituting elann's sonata yarn for the berroco bonsai, even though gauge will be a bit smaller. I keep looking at the picture thinking that sonata will be gorgeous in this pattern- and best yet, because there is more yardage, I'll only need 6 balls, which = about $11.00 USD!! How cheap is that?!

So, anyone in?

Here's a small pic: 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007 10:00:37 PM by fragolina_piccolina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
bubblegirl
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 06:04:42 PM »

I love this tunic, too! I'm currently working on the Petunia Tote so maybe when I get that done I'll start this.. though, I'm still quite the beginner. We'll see. I know I am making it sometime over the next few months.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 06:11:33 PM by bubblegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thegarby
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007 11:07:24 AM »

I've been thinking about knitting this one... but I'm currently working on Knitty's Thermal so I want to finish that before starting anything major.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

herstories
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007 03:43:23 PM »

I've been wanting to knit this. The price of the yarn called for is too much for me and so I was unsure whether I'd want to spend that much money on a tunic. But I'm going to definitely check out the elann yarn that fragolina mentioned. Thanks for the info.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007 03:48:14 PM by herstories » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blck_celebrtion
Misanthrope extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007 08:31:58 PM »

A truly beautiful piece.  Sometimes I think IWK goes out of their way to make me feel stupid for not being able to comprehend their patterns.  Sad  The v-neck is throwing me off.

But after I finish about a million WIPs, I genuinely do want to tackle this bad boy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fragolina_piccolina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 09:34:00 AM »

I now have yarn (why do packages usually come more quickly from Canada than from a U.S. state?), and just need to finish an economics paper before I can cast on. I can't wait to swatch!

I love this tunic, too! I'm currently working on the Petunia Tote so maybe when I get that done I'll start this.. though, I'm still quite the beginner. We'll see. I know I am making it sometime over the next few months.

...I started the petunia tote too, but I'm bad about working on lots of different projects at the same time. The tote is working up faster than expected though. How is yours coming along?

A truly beautiful piece.  Sometimes I think IWK goes out of their way to make me feel stupid for not being able to comprehend their patterns.  Sad  The v-neck is throwing me off.

But after I finish about a million WIPs, I genuinely do want to tackle this bad boy.

Are you working on the slanted V-neck pullover? I find it easier to follow patterns if there is a clear picture that I can study beforehand. I mentally take apart all of the pieces and study how they are shaped, what kind of decreases and increases are used, and where they are used. Then, when I look at the pattern, I see if there is anything I didn't notice- that way when I start, I'll already be on the lookout for every change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
blck_celebrtion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007 01:18:05 PM »

I am struggling with understanding the v-neck shaping part.  I know I am not the brightest light bulb, but how do you decrease at the neck's edge without ruining the pretty lace pattern?  Or do the bust increases even things out?  Ah, I feel like an idiot. ;(
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 07:53:53 PM »

You're not an idiot! I just finished the front piece, and I had no idea how it was going to work out until I did it.  The V-neck is shaped by P2tog decreases in the purled sections of the top - so it's not actually right near the V-neck edges, but more towards the sides of the pieces.  You do this at the same time as the bust increases, and then also at the same time as the bind-offs for the armholes, so I wrote down a lot of notes to get it right.  I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
fragolina_piccolina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007 11:01:31 AM »

Thanks for the explanation gloriana! I looked at the pattern, but decided that I would probably be able to get it when I had the yarn in my hands.

Do we get a picture of your progress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
gloriana
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007 07:41:14 AM »

Here's my finished Bonsai:

There are a couple more photos on my blog, along with notes on the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basic Chicken Marinade
How to Cut Apart a Full Chicken
Chicken Meal Recipes
How to Make a Pork Roast
How to Make Stuffed Pork Chops
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...