A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing corners  (Read 664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 23, 2007 07:23:56 AM »

ok, either I'm retarded or this had to have been posted elsewhere & I just couldn't find it. How do you sew corners. I make sure the needle is in the fabric, raise the presser foot and turn the fabric but the thread pulls and my corners are always rounded. Is there some way to make a crisp 90 degree corner?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007 07:30:25 AM »

I  always  doa  back stitch  jsut  at the  corner a  bit... keeps the  thread  from  pulling adn  makes  it  more  secure.  try taht.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
riario
:*

expecting our first!

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007 07:38:24 AM »

Thanks jloveg- I have tried that but didn't like the way it looked so much when the stitching is going to show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007 07:55:14 AM »

mmmm.   well tehn  you  could  hold teh  corner and  they  sewn  thread  as  close to teh  turning point as  possible  so it  can't  pull.   I  don't  have  much  problem  with it  so I  really am only  throwing  suggestions.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007 10:31:03 PM »

When I need to sew a corner, I stitch up to the corner minus the seam allowance, leave the needle down, then turn the fabric and continue sewing down the next side.
Leaving the needle down ensures that the thread and fabric won't  move while you reposition your fabric.

I hope that made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L-train
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007 08:59:29 AM »

I can't remember where I read this tip, as it was years ago, but it promised this was the best way to make your corners look crisp & neat when turned right side out, and I've found it works.  With the needle down, pivot 45 degrees, then do one stitch if you're sewing a fairly lightweight fabric, two stitches for a medium weight fabric, or three for a thick/heavy fabric. Then pivot a further 45 degrees (90 degrees from your original line of stitching) and carry on. I hope this makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007 09:30:31 AM »

I can't remember where I read this tip, as it was years ago, but it promised this was the best way to make your corners look crisp & neat when turned right side out, and I've found it works.  With the needle down, pivot 45 degrees, then do one stitch if you're sewing a fairly lightweight fabric, two stitches for a medium weight fabric, or three for a thick/heavy fabric. Then pivot a further 45 degrees (90 degrees from your original line of stitching) and carry on. I hope this makes sense!

It sounds strange, but it is true! And really works...even though we teach our kids to do the pivot right at the corner way. And don't forget to trim your seam allowance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Serinde
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 09:31:33 AM »

you could try this: sew the corner how you explained you do it; thats quite right. the after that, you cut off the corner. it sounds a little weird, so here's a picture. hope you understand the picture. this way, you dont have to stuff all of the seamalowance into the (smaller) corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007 05:00:26 PM »

I always cut the corner off - but not quite to the stitching so there is still something holding it together.  I can never get them quite square by myself, so I like to use a point turner.  It really helps to stab the point out where it belongs.  I've never had any problems with breaking threads or anything, but a backstitch definitely won't hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007 04:59:24 AM »

Now that you mention it, I recall reading this tip somewhere too! Ah well...I don't do many corners, so maybe I'll remember to try it the next time I need to do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Shape in After Effects CS3
How to Add a Stroke to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Shadow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...