A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Choosing the right Camera  (Read 884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floggingmolly
« on: March 22, 2007 11:25:50 AM »

Hey guys!

I have a question about which type/brand of digital camera I should get. I already have a Nixon cool pix which I love for taking pictures in daytime or well lit areas, my problem is I take a lot of pictures at night and pictures at shows which most of the time are in an ill lit bars so every time I take a picture, whether I am near or far I either get bad noise, glares or sports and the pictures are just real bad. I want to get a good digital camera and I am hoping to keep it under $1500.00 I dont know much about cameras so any input would help =)

Here are a few examples:
Good lighting:

Bad/no lighting

Thanks guys
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
elmersgloo
Lover of Giraffes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007 12:31:35 PM »

I'm currently using a Nikon Coolpix for my digitals too, it's a cute little camera that's great for on-the-go, but sometimes the quality can come out a little shoddy! Since this is what you have for now, I reccomend using a tripod whenever possible in lowlight situations. If this isn't possible, try holding the camera flat against another surface. STILL out of luck? Try holding your right elbow with your left hand to steady your picture-taking arm while you snap the picture! Sounds silly, but it helps get the quality a little better. The stupid little coolpix demands that you keep it positively still in all lowlight situations. I also recommend using the "night" setting if you get in areas where the regular (obnoxiously bright) flash just isnt doing the trick. Keep in mind though that low light photography will get tricky no matter WHAT kind of camera you're using, so you may have to make your environment more suitable (use a tripod, etc)

For Digital SLR's, I've heard Canon can be preferred. I'm a Nikon girl myself, but a family friend is selling us his old Canon as soon as he gets his new camera (way out of the $1500 price range!), and after playing around with his I absolutely love it and can't wait to have it for my own. That's about all the advice I can provide...you may want to swing towards Canon!

Keep in mind that those cute pocket-sized cameras are great for on-the-go, but not always so great for professional-type photography. As nice as it is to snap a pic anywhere, I'd rather have a bulky camera and better quality! =]

Hope some of that helped, at the very least, how to deal with your coolpix til you can get something better! I've been holding on to mine for awhile and find that it takes pretty good digital pics, they just need some photoshop help from time to time =]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007 12:35:49 PM by elmersgloo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out on MySpace!
Short but growing Wist!

100 Theme ATC Challenge : 7/100

Wanna swap ATCs?
Amalas
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007 02:04:16 PM »

I would second the Canon.  Both me (casual photographer) and my dad (semi-professional photographer) absolutely love them.  I don't remember which one my dad has, but I've heard soooo many good things about this one:  Digital Rebel XTi

A Digital SLR is probably going to be the way to go, and there are plenty under $1000.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
mini
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007 02:45:44 PM »

I have a wicked Canon SLR & for non-flash, I have to agree with Amalas, you will probably need to go with an SLR. You need to be able to control all the various parameters.
Mini

THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebread
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007 07:18:48 PM »

I have a wicked Canon SLR & for non-flash, I have to agree with Amalas, you will probably need to go with an SLR. You need to be able to control all the various parameters.
Mini

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/430731472_f43627f676.jpg

<<<edited to remove image from quote - please delete IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks much!!>>>

Ireland?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007 07:37:51 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
floggingmolly
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007 07:49:45 AM »

mini - What model of canon SLR do you have?

I have been reading a few reviews on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and a lot of review say under cons: Second status LCD has been eliminated; slow kit lens ... I am not even sure what that means Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
mini
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007 08:12:10 AM »

mini - What model of canon SLR do you have?

I have been reading a few reviews on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and a lot of review say under cons: Second status LCD has been eliminated; slow kit lens ... I am not even sure what that means Embarrassed

Hi, I splurged & bought the 20D. I love it and don't think I'll have to change it for many years... (well, I hope not anyway! Wink )
One reason that is important to go for an SLR is also the quickness of the shutter. I always hear the Rebel was a good option, so I don't know what all that stuff means either!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007 08:13:08 AM »

Mini

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/430731472_f43627f676.jpg

<<<edited to remove image from quote - please delete IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks much!!>>>

Ireland?

Nope. But is also called "the green island". It's about 200 kilometers from   where floggingmolly's picture were taken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmersgloo
Lover of Giraffes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007 11:54:02 AM »

I'm thinking the slow kit lens might mean that the lens it comes with is...er...slow? rofl. That wouldn't make much sense, but at least if you dont like the lens you can always replace it? :O I have no idea what those things are either otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out on MySpace!
Short but growing Wist!

100 Theme ATC Challenge : 7/100

Wanna swap ATCs?
jenna rose
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007 02:41:21 PM »

i have a nikon coolpix 885 as my very first digital that i got a few years ago.

you really can't go wrong with nikon/canons.

this past christmas i got a canon digital rebel xt.  the bodies are very affordable. what i would suggest (since you have a 1500.00 budget - nice!) you can get the -just- the body and then try getting 2-3 really good lenses.  the lens in the kit is just sorta crappy.  you'd be pretty good to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Colour Temperature Is
Watch This Instead #63 - Hot Tub Time Machine
The Film Lab: Lighting Ratios
Top Slow-motion videos
How to Use Light Meters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...