A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: State wide meetup - Sunday May 20 - UPDATE  (Read 14617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2007 07:00:04 PM »

Heres the latest and greatest information for the meetup:

What day? Sunday, May 20..
What time? To be determined. 12? until whenever you feel like leaving.
Where? Gone Wired coffee shop, Lansing MI. Directions posted below.

Some handy dandy info to know:

THIRTY people have expressed interest in going! I am SO excited about that! I know that not everyone will be able to attend, but I would love it if we all could! I'm going to call the cafe after I post this to ask them if they can handle that many people, so look for an update.

I called Gone Wired and they accept reservations, so I made a reservation for thirty people from 10 - 5. Im sure all the people who expressed interest wont show up, but that makes allowances for SO's, children, etc. I made it early just in case (dont want to double book on their part) and they also said its fine if it goes later than 5.

Children, significant others, and FRIENDS are all very welcome to join us! We'd like everyone to feel comfortable going and if that means bringing your 300 lb 7 foot brother or sister, then by all means go ahead! Many of us have children and will most likely bring them (I use the term "us" loosely since, ya know, I don't have kids.)

Gone Wired has free wifi for those of you bringing SOs who have no interest in this sort of thing Wink

Gone Wired's web address is: http://www.gonewiredlansing.com/

Threadbears web address is: http://www.threadbearfiberarts.com/

Carpooling. A lot of people have expressed interest in carpooling to Lansing, and I'm all for it! I'm coming from Kalamazoo, so whoever wants to carpool with me (or, if you're interested in driving, as well), I'm available! It looks like we're also in need of someone willing to drive from GR and the east side of the state especially. If you're interested in driving a carpool, let me know so we have a list for the people who want to come but can't drive.

If you're in need of a driver, please say so so we can find someone near you who might be interested in sharing the gas money. Remember, we're all carpooling at our own discretion, so if you don't feel comfortable being in the car with a stranger, keep that in mind Wink. Don't worry, though. I don't bite (hard).

I assume some of us (at least, I am) are going to go to Threadbear yarn shop at some point during the meetup. Not everyone has to go, because I know we're not all fiber junkies (what in the world is wrong with you people?!) but again, everyone is welcome!

Bring anything you want to show off! A project you're working on, something you're proud of, whatever! We can even trade FO's and do a little swappage if people want to bring something small. This is just a suggestion for a little bit of fun, and not at all necessary! DO NOT feel obligated! Grin If people think this is a bad idea, let me know and I'll cross it off the list so people don't get confused.

I'd like to organize a statewide meetup. I did a little research and it seems most of us are on the east side of the state, so it makes the most sense to meet over there somewhere. For those people on the west side or middle (myself included), we can carpool or do a separate meetup. It would be awesome if we could all meet at an area event on a Saturday or something and just hang out. When we did the mod meetup in Chicago, we organized our big gathering at a craft event. It was a good diversion for people who aren't so outgoing, but also fairly "safe."

So, any ideas? Any one interested? The weather is getting nicer (or as nice as it gets in MI Wink ) but I'd like to do it April - May. I know a lot of us are college kids so itll get really busy around May, but if we can come up with a time most of us can come, that would be great!

So, we need a time and a location.

I PMed this thread to a whole bunch of people, but if you know someone in MI, tell 'em to check out this thread. The more the merrier.

(and it anyone wants to do a mini meetup before then, PM some people! I'm in k'zoo but in GR on a regular basis. Willing to go a long way to meet up for coffee and crafting. Except I don't drink coffee.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007 12:27:58 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007 07:05:09 PM »

I'm interested in a meetup - but I'm not sure about how far I could actually go - I hate driving long distances!! Grin

Keep me in mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007 07:11:50 PM »

I'd definately do this!  I'm in Bloomfield Hils, near Detroit, but I've got family in Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Ann Arbor, so as long as its in the mitten, and not the finger, I'm there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007 07:18:39 PM »

depending on where its at in michigan i want to go!
i would love to go its just the matter if my mom will take me up there =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeanniepep
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007 07:24:14 PM »

I'm in!  April is fairly busy, so May would work better for me, but I can try to manipulate April if that's when everyone else can do it!  I'm coming from Lapeer, which is about an hour from metro Detroit and also about an hour from Lansing.  I don't mind driving and am happy to carpool if anyone else is near me!

I think this is a GREAT idea . . . it would be so much fun to meet some of you in person and see your projects, get ideas, etc.  I have a ridiculously crappy slow dial-up connection (the only thing available where I live) so I barely get to see any of the awesome projects on the forum.

What type of venue are you thinking?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007 07:25:25 PM »

I think something public, no ones house. A craft event, an art show, a coffee shop, etc.. Which cities would you guys suggest? Ive only ever been on the east side twice, and neither time was for a long period of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007 07:27:14 PM »

jeanniepep - You live in Lapeer?!?!  I live between Lapeer and Davison, my kids go to Lapeer schools!  We're practically neighbors. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007 07:42:16 PM »

I'm in the Ann Arbor area, and this sounds like fun.  Smiley  I'm busy towards the end of April, but the rest of my schedule is pretty open. 

Upon reflection, considering how many craftsters I interact with (not all that many), it's scary how many of them are in Michigan.  Shocked 

What kind of venue are we looking for? Are we looking for craft fairs, or craft stores, or yarn stores, or what? 

Just sort of a warning, generally, if I come, I drag along my two toddlers and my 13 year old daughter.  Tongue 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007 07:43:39 PM »

Kids are fine with me! I know that a few more of you have kids and I love kidssss.. soo...

I think something public, no ones house. A craft event, an art show, a coffee shop, etc.. Which cities would you guys suggest? Ive only ever been on the east side twice, and neither time was for a long period of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007 07:54:01 PM »

I'm interested!  I'm in Saginawwwwwwww.  You don't want to come here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tripod with a Piece of String
The Rankin Live Exhibition
Tips for Photographing Children
How to Shoot Amazing Pictures Under and Above Water
Bacon Alphabet by Henry Hargreaves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...