A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: my first bowling bag!  (Read 156622 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ainadaliel
« on: October 28, 2004 12:09:50 AM »

I've made like, four totes and I decided to make a bowling bag--just to get it out of my system! LOL!

http://www.geocities.com/maui_pics/bag.jpg
The lining is in black satin. I placed a water bottle next to it to show its actual size. Smiley

I like the fabric print, reminds me of off-the-walls VANS slip-ons! LOL!

1.) Use the pattern to cut out the pieces of fabric for the main bag, adding an extra 1" for the seams. Cut out the iron-on interfacing for all pieces using the same pattern.

2.) Using an open-ended zip, pin and tack it onto the right side of the zip panel (but now you should have cut the zip panel along the cutting line). Maching along the stitch line and trim the seam allowance. Fold over to the right side. Repeat for the other side of the zip. Zip the two pieces together.

3.) Place the pattern for the zip panel centrally over the sip and mark the new seam lines.

4.) Keeping the ride sides of the fabric together, stitch the two "bag sides" (the one under the zip panel on the pattern above) to the end sections of the zip panel. Trim the seam allowance and press.

5.) To make the handles, cut some leather cord in half (I couldn't find leather cord, so I used rubber tubing and inserted rope in it to make it sturdy). But the ends diagonally.

6.) Fold the fabric handles down along the edges. Wrap around the leather cord, and using a double thread, whip stitch the two folded edges together.

7.) THIS IS WHERE THE BAG COMES TOGETHER: Place the handles on the side panels of the bag (wherever you want them to be). Tack them into place. With the right sides and maching notches together, tack and stitch the main body of the bag to the zip panel/side bag (what you stitched at step 4). Avoid sewing over the leather cord, since that could ruin your machine...instead, sew diagonally where you cut the cord. *This step is such a bitch to do...I had to do it like, three times each side because the curving parts were so hard to stitch.

8.) using your base pattern, cut a piece of corrugated plastic card 1/4" smaller than the original pattern. Place the card onto the fabric for the base.

9.) Tack a piece of lining on top of the card. Using a piping foot (I used a zipper foot), stich around all sides as close to the card as possible.

10.) Your bag should still be inside out (wrong side facing out). Stitch the base onto the base of the main bag. MAKE SURE THE ZIPPER IS OPEN, OR ELSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO TURN YOUR BAG INSIDE OUT!  Shocked

11.) Using the pattern, cut out the lining pieces. Now, stitch it the same way you stitched the bag, starting with the zip panel. What I did was I folded them in, so it gives a neat finish.

12.) Now, turn the lining inside out. Here's the annoying part: you have to turn the main bag inside out. It's SUCH A STRUGGLE but hang in there!!! Then place the lining into the bag and slip stitch the top to the zipper. Smiley

I hope this helps... Smiley
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011 12:08:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fury-inc
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004 12:25:39 AM »

Very nice bag and nice colors! (and that's from someone who doesn't really like pinkWink
How did you do the handles, and did you use a pattern or make you own?

M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Between two evils, pick the one you haven't tried before
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004 12:26:24 AM »

thats great!!! where did you find that fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Ainadaliel
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004 12:34:36 AM »

Hey guys! Smiley Wow, been online for less than 10 minutes and I got feedback already! I love this site! LOL!

For the handles, well, I couldn't find leather cords, so I bought the thinnest clear rubber tubing I could find at the hardware store (the one they use for garden hoses and cleaning fish tanks), then put plastic rope in it to reinforce it. Then I just whip stitched black fabric around it. Smiley

I live in the Philippines and I got the fabric at a local store. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alysin
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004 05:36:31 AM »

Thats such a cute bag!!  i love the pink!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004 06:20:22 AM »

do you actually bowl?

w/ a bag that cute, you wouldn't have to  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004 07:41:44 AM »

how awesome!  it does remind me of the vans shoes.  very 80's. ^_^v
cheers,
elis
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
MarieVA
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004 01:31:22 PM »

Ainadaliel,

Cool bag and I like how you did the handles - I need to try that.  Where are you in the Philippines?  I'm Filipino, but I'm here in the U.S.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ainadaliel
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004 09:52:36 PM »

I'm from Manila. Smiley It sucks so bad that there are hardly any craft stores here...whenever I'm in the U.S. I go crazy when I go to Michael's. Over here there isn't much, plus the people at the hardware store look at me funny when I ask for materials "to make bags". LOL! but fabric is pretty cheap, although fabric is way cheaper there in the States when it goes on sale! Smiley

Ainadaliel,

Cool bag and I like how you did the handles - I need to try that.  Where are you in the Philippines?  I'm Filipino, but I'm here in the U.S.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

harruko

kitten caniptions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004 05:31:43 AM »

awesome bag, i love checkerboard print, it's my alternative to polka dots lol.

i probably sound liek a complete dumbass but what's whipstitching?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all made of stars
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 3/6
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 2/6
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 4/6
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 1/6
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 7/8
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...