A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who do you use/Who should I use for webhosting?  (Read 38929 times)
Tags for this thread: webhosting  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

freakshow
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2006 05:31:45 PM »

So i decided what i want to sell and everything..but now i want a website.I'm not selling my crafts online,im selling them at markets,but i want to make a website show i can put up pictures of things i made,and let potential buyers browse and see my items.I just want a simple site i can customize and use for free,and an easy-to-use one.I wanted to use Piczo but piczo doesnt work for me anymore..so i was wondering what kind of free,easy,website i can use that doesnt require you to actually sell items.

And also i'm really lovin this website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2006 03:40:35 PM »

I dont know what Piczo is but what about something like Myspace? All you need is a brochure site and that is just pictures and descriptions...A brochure site is an excellent thing to have, it's an online portfolio. Goodluck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
thebeadfactory
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2006 06:32:40 AM »

So I'm taking the plunge and registering a domain name for my website... (I've been using a free hosting service up until now, but decided I needed a more professional appearance to increase my sales).

My business is called Lindsay Designs, however, the domain name lindsaydesigns.com is taken. Are .net addresses as effective, or do people tend to forget them and put .com? any other suggestions for possible domain names I could use?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for the best hosting service for a growing business (or hopefully growing?) I've been using bravenet... anyone have any good/bad experiences with them? it's definitely got the cheapest basic hosting package... but I'm not sure exactly what I need as far as services. Anyone know any really good (and cheap) website hosts? What do I need to look for to determine if a host is good/bad? Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, if anyone's willing to critique my current site, I'd love any advice on how to improve it!

http://www.lindsaydesigns.bravehost.com

Thanks!
-Lindsay

Hi Lindsay -

I think having your own name is important, as you know, image is everything in this business. Looking good and profesional is what it is all about.

I suggest using pagebuzz.com for hosting and design, its only $10 and you get everything. The also own craftersbuzz.com and have a large base of craftsters. So they are not stranagers to our business and understand what we are doing and what we need.

If you are new, having good support will make or break your website. After all, if you do not know what you are doing, you will fail. So whoever you choose, make sure they can help you and that you can afford it. Some systems are several hundred dollars a month and you will need to do very very well to justify that over a free host.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flicka
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2006 05:02:01 PM »

Lindsay,

I really like you site! (And I'm a dog owner, too).

I think you should give serious consideration to getting a .com domain, though. I still frequently enter craftster.com automatically when I go to this site!

How about choosing a domain that still has your name but also includes more specific information to you business? That could offer the added bonus of avoiding confusion with the site that has the name you want.

How about Lindsayspets.com ? or Lindsaydesignerpets .com?

Good luck. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.flickabags.com

Here's wishing you a well-equipped trip!
Linds3485
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2006 08:09:32 AM »

Just an Update:  (for some reason this thread is sticky so it stays at the top of the board, which is unfortunate because it is actually a very old question that is quite outdated at the moment!)

My business has come quite a long ways since I first posted that question. I now consider it an actual business (legal with all necessary licenses) and my near-full time job instead of just a hobby. I have been using lindsaydesigns.net without issue for the past year and a half. Recently, lindsaydesigns.com became available and I was able to purchase that. I am in the process of switching over to a new shopping cart, a new host, and this new .com domain. I did all the design, and am very happy with the overall look and feel of the site (it's quite a far cry from my original bravenet site!)

As a business - I am on my way to being able to live off of the income, which is my ultimate goal. I have put a lot of time and money into my business and feel it is starting to pay off.

I appreciate all of your comments and input, and best of luck to you all! Smiley

-Lindsay
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006 12:58:43 PM by Linds3485 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsay Designs Unique accessories for you and your pet. It's fashion. Unleashed.
NOGOODNIK
El Presidente of NO GOOD DESIGNS

up to NO GOOD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2006 07:39:19 AM »

I've been using Netfirms for a long time and they are great

... two cents: thrown in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come one, Come All to NO GOOD DESIGNS! http://www.nogooddesigns.com ... your one stop shop for hand-crafted Tattoo T-shirts,  Rockabilly Pins, Lowbrow objet d'Art, and Kustom Kulture Apparel! Punk Rock websites, wallpapers, and more!
Pizzaone
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2006 02:31:53 PM »

Hi,

For your domain name, could you use a hyphen in between lindsaydesign?  Like this: lindsay-design.

Cathy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006 12:15:00 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #257 on: July 01, 2006 01:38:17 PM »

Just an Update:  (for some reason this thread is sticky so it stays at the top of the board, which is unfortunate because it is actually a very old question that is quite outdated at the moment!)

My business has come quite a long ways since I first posted that question. I now consider it an actual business (legal with all necessary licenses) and my near-full time job instead of just a hobby. I have been using lindsaydesigns.net without issue for the past year and a half. Recently, lindsaydesigns.com became available and I was able to purchase that. I am in the process of switching over to a new shopping cart, a new host, and this new .com domain.

I am hosting my site with Dreamhost, which is great and affordable. I did all the design, and am very happy with the overall look and feel of the site (it's quite a far cry from my original bravenet site!)

As a business - I am on my way to being able to live off of the income, which is my ultimate goal. I have put a lot of time and money into my business and feel it is starting to pay off.

I appreciate all of your comments and input, and best of luck to you all! Smiley

-Lindsay

This is funny...I just started reading the thread today and with all the advice and questions hat have been coming up it's like seeing you go from bravehost to living off the income.  I envy you. Wink  It's really great that you've reached somewhere where I would love to be at right now.  The thing is, I've been wanting to put up a store, sell a few things I have, and create more of my own things to sell them.  My little online store.  But I've been putting it off cause I didn't wanna do the free thing, (like someone said earlier: quality product from free site?)  I mean, it doesn't really mean hat but it made me hesitate.  I'd ask myself, who'd buy something out of a free site?  So then I read that here, and I was like, ooooh...  hehehe  Well, then I started reading all the advice and questions and it was so great cause it gave me a lil more direction you could say (thanx craftster) and yeah I wanna hurry up and put up my site (now only if I can find out what's wrong with my machine...)  N-E-Ways, I wanted to say Congrats Lindsay, for reaching that step a lot of us are striving for.

OK, so I've been using http://www.findmyhosting.com to research websites, in case anyone's still in those steps like I am.  Has anyone used this before?  Is it reliable (their reviews)?  Any of the experienced would like to check out n comment?   Grin

Shopaholic-I have a paypal personal account (ebay addict).  I also have been considering them for my biz account.  [The following is from what I understood, if I'm wrong someone correct me]  See you would need to upgrade from a personal account to a merchant account because you are only allowed to make purchases with your personal account.  They have three different types of merchant accounts.  One is basically free, they only charge you for about .02% + $.30 from your sales {let's say you sell $20, about $19 is still urs - this is off top of head guys so correct me if I'm wrong}.  The other two accounts you'd have to pay for.  Basically what happens is the customer goes into your store, and chooses the items.  Once he or she is ready to pay they are directed to the paypal site.  If they have a paypal account, they basically know what to do.  If they don't then then just hit the correct button and proceed to pay using their credit card.  What I love about paypal is that I've had two situations with two different ebay sellers where I paid them and had to wait much longer than stated for my products.  Luckily, paypal resolved those quickly since they have records of what and who you've paid.  As soon as I decide where to put my store, my plans are to upgrade to the business account, but the free merchant one, until I hopefully am where Lindsay's at.  The other merchant accounts are a little more complex, where you can bill the client thru emails or they can pay right on your site with another merchant (yeah, I didn't really understand that one Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2006 01:58:22 PM »

OH YEAH!!!  One more thing:  someone earlier had also mentioned about not knowing how to create web pages and so forth.  Well, I didn't either...I mean I'm not sayin that I can create really phat pages or anything, BUT like we say "me puedo defender" (I can defend myself.  Using Microsoft Frontpage and quick internet tutorials you can learn pretty quick.  Years ago I became curious on the web page design thing so I started yahooing and read a couple of pages on basic HTML.  Then I'd practice.  If I wanted something a little more....uhhh....ehh h..."designy" (Oh Lord & Taylor, Bright get a dictionary) I would look thru different pages I like, Cut and Paste their source to different pages in Frontpage, then just cut and paste the elements I liked from each page to a new Frontpage document, changed them up, and saved.  Then I'd cut and paste the code to geocities file manager.  hehehe  It's kinda cheating I know Cheesy, but it would get me by until I knew a lil more. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
mserocks
« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2006 02:04:57 PM »

I apologize in advance - I haven't had the chance to read through this thread totally - but if anyone else is looking for domain registration and web hosting - a good friend of mine has a business. It's really cheap (starting at $3 a month!) and you can pay with paypal - and he's an awesome, awesome guy who uses his money to let his wife buy me craft books from Japan because they love me

www.gem3.com Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi.

Ok, me too! www.wists.com/mserocks
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Pizza Recipe
Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie Recipe
Whole-Grain Buttermilk Triple Berry Pancake Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
The Legendary Brown Hotel Hot Brown
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...