A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who do you use/Who should I use for webhosting?  (Read 40645 times)
Tags for this thread: webhosting  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2005 10:30:43 AM »

Chocodog--you can fix up your pictures in photoshop, but ultimately upload them to your site.  Bandwidth is esssentially the amount of space you have--for your stuff, for your visitors, etc.

Loretta--have you sorted anything out yet?  I just noticed your post.  I use Bravenet.  With the templates, the pieces all load (and there's a lot of them) into folders, and you need to know how to use html to use them, and code them in.  The basic outline goes into a css file, I think, which you'll also need to know how to use.  Bravenet also has a website wizard, which is great if you don't know html, but has lots of limitations.  There is also a regular text editor, where you can do what you want with some coding knowledge.  It features a visual editor in there as well, once you have the nuts and bolts down it's handy.  I use the text editor alone now, but I started with the website wizard.  My site has changed enormously since I first built it.  As for your publshing problems, I'm not sure I have an answer, but I suspect it's due to things not being coded quite right.  Bravenet has user forums you can browse that might help.  Let me know if I can be of any help--

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2005 08:56:57 PM »

jen, i have no idea how to do anything LOL im thinking of shelling out the $150 and getting somebody else to take a crack at it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meg4568
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2005 05:40:58 PM »

well guys, this was totally confusing! I was looking at this whole thread, and by the end i had 20 links open and my eyes were killing me!!!
How about this.... which webhosting is best for buiseness/selling?
I use bravenet now but i havent paid for anything yet cuz i didnt wanted to see how things go first. Lindsay? what did she finally end up using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2005 02:53:19 PM »

I am using Bravenet to do my selling.  It has been alright, nothing has gone wrong, but now that I want to upload my own template and stuff I am having trouble.  I opened a ticket and the guys from Bravenet have no idea what I'm talking about.  They keep telling me that my site looks fine and there's nothing to worry about.  LOL, they just don't understnad. 

Other than that I would recommend Bravenet!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linds3485
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2005 02:58:57 PM »

Sure been a while since I posted this. And boy, have I learned a lot.

You can see my current website here: http://www.lindsaydesigns.net.

I ended up going with ixwebhosting.com.... though I am considering changing once my contract expires in October. I designed the whole site myself using adobe GoLive, and uploaded it to my server. I originally chose ix because of the templates - they are quite a bit better and more customizable (colors, at least) than other templates. It's nice to know some html to add more than just text to them, but overall they're pretty easy to use for beginners. Ix also has a load of features, including a mailing list and comes with oscommerce already installed (though I am baffled by it and don't have the time to learn it).

I want to switch hosts... well... because there are cheaper plans out there with just as many, and even better features. Plus I find my email goes down more than I'd like it to. I'm sure email goes down on all hosts, but it's an excuse to change.

I plan on switching to either www.fatcow.com or www.totalchoicehosting.com. Both are very affordable, have great features, and plenty of bandwidth. I managed to purchase the lindsaydesigns.com domain name, and will eventually make that my primary domain (right now it redirects you to my .net site).

For beginners looking to set up a very basic site, I'd recommend www.godaddy.com. You can get a plan there for about $4 a month... great for starting out until you know more what your site needs in the way of features/bandwidth. There are tons of add ons as well, which will cost you, but will also make setting up your site much easier.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005 03:02:00 PM by Linds3485 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsay Designs Unique accessories for you and your pet. It's fashion. Unleashed.
theartofmegan
Tutorial Contributor

One Crafty Wife Lady

Cr4ftN3rd. <3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2005 09:23:03 AM »

personally, i dig godaddy.com.  However, i live with Supernerd himself, and he hosts my sites for me.  I've had friends who were hosted on godaddy.com, though, and they have had no complaints.  They're not very expensive, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art, Crafts, Fashion, Love.
http://www.theartofmegan.com

Visit my Etsy Stores!

The Art of Megan
Handmade, Vintage, and Recycled Craft Supplies at http://theartofmegan.etsy.com

HomeGrown Fashion
Unique, down-to-earth fashion, accessories, and home decor
http://homegrownfashion.etsy.com
AboveAverage
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2005 10:36:06 AM »

Huh
I need help getting good web hosting and stuff.
i want to make a website to sell my stuff on.
The name would be Above Average
i would say that im ready to make a website,
i have some stuff to sell and show.
i want to put poetry and my art on the website too.
but the only problem is that i dont have a digital camera.
im getting paid today, and i plan to go shop for one tomorrow.
i want to make my own layout for my site, but i need help with that too.
i never made a website before from scratch
im really anxious to start a site, but the only thing holding me back from doing it all is buying:
-a digital camera
-finding good web hosting (not too expensive)
-learning how to use microsoft front page

so basically, i have the products i just dont have the other stuff, so i need some help.
thanx

o BTW, i also need help with a welcome for the site.

THANK YOU.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a princess. I live in the clouds. If you wanna kick it with me, you better bow down. So get on your knees and call me your highness, cuz baby believe me, I'm New York's Finest!
www.aboveaverage.ecrater.com
kwicz
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2005 09:33:06 PM »

I like my host - Thrust Networks http://www.thrustnet.com/hp/small.php#basic They have a great deal that includes lots of things for business and a what-you-see-is-what-you-get page editor that makes it really easy.  I wouldn't recommend FrontPage, it codes things funny and your pages won't always display properly in all browsers.

If you have a regular camera, just get your pics developed on a cd.  It takes a bit longer, but that way you can get everything going until you get a digital camera.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xstillxherex72
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2005 11:09:34 AM »

Hey, I'm making a new site, and I want it to be free, but I don't know too many good places to put it on. I started with Freewebs and they started makin' me very very mad. What about piczo? They can have really easy sites. Where did you get your sites made at? Are they free? I'm on a low budget.

As well, can I sell vintage stuff? i.e. old pins? or is that illegal?

much love
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useratl
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2005 12:05:35 AM »

http://www.drak.net/
Is a great host, very helpful, a range of hosting level pricing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 21/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 28/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 22/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 20/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 14/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...