A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bellingham/Ferndale, anything for crafters there?  (Read 4049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ForestGreen
« on: March 20, 2007 02:19:44 PM »

My husband is looking for work in the Bellingham area with the intention of moving us up there in the next month or so. We'll be coming up on a "scouting trip" next week and I was wondering what stores to look up in the phone book. I know there's a Michael's in Bellingham, but I was wondering about yarn stores, bead stores and thrift stores. I was also wondering if anyone knows about a crafting group in the area.
Thanks for your time. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men. - Blue Oyster Cult
ForestGreen
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007 10:27:55 AM »

We found a bead store down in the Fairhaven neighborhood that looks really nice. My husband saw a Value Village on his way to one of his interviews, and I saw a reference to a yarn store in one of the tourist brochures. I also found yarn at Fred Meyer.
I was told by the realtor we are using that there are many people raising alpacas and llamas out in the Deming area outside of Bellingham just in case anyone's interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men. - Blue Oyster Cult
Jenivere
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007 10:57:06 PM »

Hi! I'm new to this area, too. So far I've seen a yarn store downtown, as well as a soapmaking store. The bead store is neat. Have you found anything else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForestGreen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007 08:00:02 AM »

We are not quite up there yet. We had some troubles getting a loan for a house but they seem to be over now. My husband starts his job next week but I will be staying here with our daughter and four ferrets until the house closes.
Michaels and Value Village are on or near Guide Meridian, so that looks like a good place to start. I missed the soap making store when we were up last month. There was a bookstore in the Fairhaven area, near the bead store that looked like it had potential.
I found a web site for what looks like a fairly large yarn store in Bellingham but I forgot to bookmark it. I shall have to backtrack and see if I can find it again.
I can not wait to get up there and go on a "craft crawl".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007 02:22:48 PM »

There is Marilyn's - excellent yarn store - it is across from Yeager's. There is a good one in Fairhaven across from Eclipse books (and excellent used book store). The yarn store downtown has more local handspun yarn and more stuff for spinners. Dakota art store (downtown) is great for your painting and drawing needs - talented staff too.
PM me if you want recommendations on cool restaurants or parks and such too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007 09:36:28 AM »

There's also a pair of spinners who have a studio downtown and sell on the web and at the farmer's market.  I live in town, but I found them through a blog reference and still haven't made it to the market.  The names of the two stores mentioned in a previous post are NW Handspun yarns (downtown) and Wool Station (Fairhaven).  I like them both very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForestGreen
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007 11:49:04 PM »

Thanks for the information everyone. Everything mentioned sounds like it's worth checking out. I read in the Herald that there's a farmer's market up in Kendall with some crafters selling their wares on Sundays, it sounds like a neat trip too. 
We've had a few more setbacks and my daughter and I aren't moved up to Bellingham yet, but hopefully in a few weeks we'll finally be there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vixenmeowmeow
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007 01:15:07 PM »

Hi! I'm a spinner here in b-ham and I looove NW Handspun Yarns. Great classes for everything from needle felting to spinning to weaving. And tons of supplies. They are really passionate about passing on the knowledge of various fiber art. Also there is a spinning guild here in town called Spindrifters. Umm, let's see...I use to work at Michael's (but you know there is one here). Anyway, have fun exploring. It's a beautiful town!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I crave to die with my hand at the spinning wheel."---Gandhi

My Blog:
Spindelicious Handspun
http://www.spindelicioushandspun.blogspot.com

My Etsy shop...Spindeliciou s Handspun
http://www.spindelicious.etsy.com
Countess
I Heart Indie Crafts

Urban Crafts & Functional Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007 09:28:33 PM »

On Sunday Dec. 9th there will be an awesome indie craft extravaganza at The Majestic in Bellingham.

www.iheartindieholi days.com for more info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cassandra Lanning
CEO, I Heart Indie Crafts
www.iheartindiecraf ts.com
ForestGreen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007 10:49:02 PM »

Thanks for the information Countess, I wanted to check out the website but it wouldn't load for me. I'll put the date on my calendar anyway.

We finally made it up here at long last but I've been sticking pretty close to home. The Guide is a 2 hour bus ride from here and I don't have any money to spend right now anyway.
I have been to Joanne's, Michael's, Value Village, and the farmer's market though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Multi-Eyed Squirrel - 53rd Drawing
How to Draw Lisa Simpson - 14th Drawing
How to Draw Teenage Marge - 47th Drawing
How to Draw Hans Moleman - 26th Drawing
How to Draw Marge Simpson - 13th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...