A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,447
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chicken pot pie and......  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rowdygirl
« on: March 20, 2007 10:53:36 AM »

My friends and I have get togethers on Fridays. We all take turns cooking. Next friday is my turn. I want to make chicken pot pie, but I don't know what to make for a side dish. I would do a salad, but nobody would eat it.

My recipe for the chicken pot pie has peas, carrots, and potatoes. It seems like doing corn or a potato for a side dish would be veggie overload.

Dessert will be New York style cheesecake.

Anybody have a good idea, because I sure don't.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misplacedhippie
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007 11:28:16 AM »

I have always had Chicken Pot Pie as a one dish meal - throw it all in and *poof* dinner.  Look at resturant menus on the Web (Applebees, Crackerbarrel, etc) for insperation for a side.  I have seen Chicken Pot Pie on alot of menues recently. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 11:32:57 AM »

Its true a chiken pot pie is a meal on its own however if you're making them a bit smaller then i guess you could do something like mac/n cheese on the side in honor of KFC having the best chiken potpies on earth. Yup man n cheese would be perfect. Not from a box lol but scratch well if ure doing the box thing then go via Velveta. yummers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
Muria
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007 11:53:38 AM »

Maybe rolls and butter(or your choice of roll topping)? I agree that chicken pot pie pretty much covers the whole dinner thing by itself.  But when I order something like that in a restaurant, there's usually a side of rolls or garlic toast so you have a palate cleanser (not sure how garlic toast qualifies there, but hey...). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
peardream
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007 01:07:57 PM »

I think a salad would go nicely.  Usually when I can't think of what will go, salad usually is it....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neuromancer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007 09:35:50 PM »

I wouldn't serve anything heavy/starchy with chicken pot pie, because the pastry crust on the pot pie would be enough "heft" and breadiness for me.  I might, however, serve a slaw or a healthy lentil or couscous type small-grained salad or a fruit side (applesauce, fruit salad, strawberries and pepper in vinaigrette, etc.).  You could also do a vegetable that isn't represented in the pot pie.  I think asparagus (simmered is easy) would be great with it.  Maybe with a mustard for dipping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 11:40:49 PM »

For whatever reason, my palette doesn't equate pastry with breadiness, but I agree something like a slaw or fruit side sounds like a good idea!  Next time I need help figuring out  a menu, I know where to look for advice.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
JBoudreau
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007 03:00:12 PM »

What about baked apple slices? Bake them with sugar, cinnamon and a bit of butter, like pie filling without the pie?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wind
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007 10:58:47 AM »

If salad is not an option, I guess the best maybe roast veg with chips then... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna try to cook a lovely but simple meal for your loved ones?
Then visit: http://windyscorner.info
Enjoy! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Recipe Photo Shoot
How to Clean a Camera Lens
How to Make a Mini Tripod for Your Camera
How to Make a Tripod with a Piece of String
The Rankin Live Exhibition
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...