A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ballet Barre  (Read 920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blyss
« on: March 19, 2007 02:07:23 PM »

I was wondering if any one has made a ballet barre; perhaps one that is portable? Or would anyone have any ideas on how to do this? ?
Thanks
Vania
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007 02:13:12 PM »

I have been begging my brother to make me one FOREVERRRRRR. I have seen one that seemed make-able. I will try to describe it.

There were 2 or three bases made of heavy wooden squares. Each base had pvc piping with a, um, circle or ring shaped piece at the top. The barre itself was a wooden banister which slid through the pvc circle/rings. There must have been something to keep the banister from sliding back and forth and there may have been something inside the pvc supports to add stability.

I don't know if that makes any sense or gives you any ideas, but good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
InkNvDubs
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 12:26:43 AM »

I used to be into ballet all the way up until I was 18 and I decided I didn't want to be a professional but I wish I had the smarts to switch to ballroom dancing instead of letting myself go into regular body mode. Anyhow...about the ballet barre, I am not sure how you would do one that was portable, and why may I ask would you want a portable barre?

But when I was in certain classrooms with the really large dance space, they would pull out these portable barrs which kind looked like this crude drawing

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/still_death2000/barre.jpg
male threaded pipe
http://www.answers.com/topic/malefemalepipe-jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Mae West
blyss
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007 10:17:22 AM »

Thank you for the ideas. To answer your question, I am no longer interested in ballet in terms of dance, however I would like to incorporate certain parts into my exercise routine. What originally gave me the idea was a kit/setup/program you can purchase off the web. It's called Fluidity. The barre that they sell is a few hundred. I can be pretty inventive when I need to and I've seen so many incredible things here over the past years that I thought this would be the best place to start if I were to make my own.

If anyone wants to check it out, I don't remember the website, i would just google Fluidity and exercise. I really liked what they put together, the price was just way out of my range.

thanks again
Vania
THIS ROCKS   Logged
InkNvDubs
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007 06:04:46 PM »

I have seen those commercials and if I had an extra few hundred buck to spend on that I would. It seems that the fluidity bar is built so that you can literally hang off of it, where as I doubt a barre that is freestanding would be that steady. If you wanted to bolt a bar to the wall I would think that you could hang off of it. I made this bookcase that you can really hang off of

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/still_death2000/SewingMachine013.jpg

before I put the boards up and the books, my boyfriend was doing pull-ups off of it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mae West
InkNvDubs
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007 06:08:45 PM »

as far as a freestanding portable one, I am at a loss - sorry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mae West
blyss
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007 02:17:43 PM »

I see what your saying; very cool bookshelf by the way. I'm renting, so I don't think I could attach one to the wall. Hmm... well maybe, I'd have to check on that. I'm going to do some web surfing to get some images, then go from there. I'll give an update and let everyone know what I do.

Thanks again Smiley
Vania
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sharing Our Summer Beauty Routines
Jamie Greenberg Sits Down with Skin Guru Dr. Lancer
Guy Attempts to Follow a Smokey Eyes Makeup Tutorial
Blogger Explains Her Nude Photo Shoot For The Be Beautiful Project
Beauty Tips for Older Women
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...