A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about using items from work to craft  (Read 832 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 06, 2007 10:27:26 AM »

how do you all feel about using supplies from your employer??
do you consider it "borrowing" it or stealing?
do you "shop" in the supply closet?
do you do it accidentally sometimes (ex: jotting notes and then taking the pad home)?
do you use the company printer, copier, paper?

just curious
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
Gwydion
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007 06:56:29 AM »

I don't really "shop" the supply closet.  A Sharpie once in a while, but otherwise, there's not really anything interesting in there--and I prefer fountain pens anyway.

I "shop" the office recycling and trash bins.  We use loads and loads of paper for drafts, Lexis research, etc.  Even after we shred the pages that contain sensitive information, there's tons of used paper left (case law printouts, those cheesy fax advertisements...) I use some of it instead of legal pads at work, and take home used paper for my printer and various craft purposes.  (Make sure, if you do this, that your "home" paper has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on it that can be traced back to a client or business contact!)
And I fish interesting stuff out of trashcans (Altoid tins, No. 6 plastic, old computer parts, odd earrings, cool boxes, etc.).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fluxity
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007 02:04:07 AM »

Once I took two boxes of brass brads (are they called brads?) because I knew for a fact that they had been in the supply drawer for longer than I had worked there, I could not think of a single thing that anyone at my office would use them for.
Other than that, I have this awful habit of throwing the pen I'm using into my purse, out of habit, and then wondering where the heck all my pens went... until I get home, and find nine in my purse. Oops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistful Thinking
~-~
Procraftination  - a Blog about my Crafty Adventures!
Swap partners - No Peeking!
~-~
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
MissMeshell
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007 06:30:14 AM »

I wouldn't take anything that I wasn't allowed to take. (not that there is anything exciting to take in this office anyway!)

One of my old jobs was great, it was in a surgery and heaps of things had carbon in them which was ripped out and binned before they get sent off etc. so I've still got heaps and heaps of carbon paper for tracing (they have absolutely no personal/company info on them or anything, that would have been a big no-no) Tongue I also got to take home random vintage medical equipment, books and jars for art projects and use the photocopier for big personal jobs whenever I needed.

At my current job I would use the company photocopier/printer for small personal jobs if I needed to, but there's no craftworthy supplies here, other than lovely books! Heck, I can't even find a pen when I need one! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007 06:34:21 AM »

Oh I just remembered! You know those little cocktail umbrellas? How they have a teeny pink band on them when they are all folded up...well I still have a container with about 10,000 of those bands in it, because at my very first job we would pull the bands off when putting them in drinks etc and throw them in a container which never got emptied. So in one of our cleanouts I took the whole thing home because they looked so pretty. I have never even touched them since then, damn, I had high hopes for those things Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007 07:05:08 PM »

ha i love this i worked as a cleaner in my moms office. what they did there was they had equiptment to make and fix car wash machines. well while cleaning ive picked up washers, screws and all sorts of loose wire. i took it but kinda got bitched out because they had cameras(that i 1. didnt see and 2.didnt know about in the first place) and supposedly they needed washers that were underneath the work tables and had 2 inchs of dust on em.
anyway ive made alot of stuff out of the little things that id pick up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
kittycitycrafter

The Clarks www.clarksonline.com

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 07:56:28 PM »

It's the other way around for me.
I'm a teacher...and I'm always buying stuff to take to school to use there...spending my own money on it Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I had a magic charm
It would protect you from all harm
There'd be no sirens to alarm
We could stay here every day
And if I were a super hero
Good guys all the villains zero
I'd save you from all that is evil
So you can sleep at night"

by the Clarks
Report Abuse:
1-800-4-A-CHILD
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007 06:50:03 AM »

It's the other way around for me.
I'm a teacher...and I'm always buying stuff to take to school to use there...spending my own money on it Tongue

teachers are so under-appreciated... it sucks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
Yoshi
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007 11:42:48 AM »

I see it as stealing but can't help myself. I work at a litigation services company which is basically a copyplace (sort of like kinkos but for legal paperwork and stuff) and it's hard not to "shop" in the supply room and use their machines. We have all kinds of color paper, cardstock, GBC and spiral binding machines, A "cutter" machine (cuts big stacks of paper evenly to the same size) tabs, and we also make big foam poster boards. Not to mention 10 black and white copyers and 2 color copiers. I feel like quitting so much sometimes because of the pay, but don't do it because of the stuff I can do there  Embarrassed I'm horrible ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiHendon
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007 10:33:46 PM »

I still have two china markers from an office in the 70s.  One of the secretaries needed one, and we had to order a whole box.  The box with 3 missing is probably still sitting in their supply closet.  I use china markers for labeling plastic food containers or when I need to mark on glass like Christmas ornaments.  I've only used about half of each, so I'll probably will them to my grandchildren.

In '93, a company I worked for changed names and was throwing out stacks of expensive, white address labels, the peel and stick kind.  I brought them all home and cut off the top inch with the name.  I've used them for address labels, as well as making special photo stickers.  I'm down to the last few, sigh.  (I hated to think of them wasted in a landfill.)

My husband works for a paper company, but I still buy printer paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Bowles - The Secrets to Becoming a Vintage Collector
From the Vogue Closet - The Designer Sneaker
Tips from Fashion Assistant Grace Fuller
Affordable Must Have Fall 2013 Trends
Three Looks Anyone Can Wear To Rock The Leather Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...