A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mushroom wrap top  (Read 1818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenporcelaindoll
« on: October 05, 2009 08:48:22 AM »

Have been itching to use my yummy mushroom fabric on more things but terrified of messing up and losing all that yummy, hard-to-find mushroomy goodness.  Finally bit the bullet and decided to risk it.  Very chuffed with the results!  Grin

Can be worn with a bow at the side, which I think looks best, or since the straps are long enough I can wrap them around the waist again to nip it in under the bust more.

Yay!  A top that fits my boobs!  And doesn't have a huge gap under the armpit showing off my bra!

Obligatory camw**** pic

Closeup of the fabrics.

You can't see in the pictures but the back is plain black.  I didn't want to use up all of my leftover fabric on the one item.

It can be worn okay without another top underneath so long as I wear a low plunge bra, but I think it looks better worn with something.  Am debating the addition of short sleeves... sort of loose sleeves to fall about midway down my upper arm...

Also debating an applique; was thinking of adding a large-ish mushroom shape in the polkadot fabric to the side on the torso, with a detailed mushroom embroidery on that... but am worried it would make the whole thing look too busy.  What do you think?

I made the pattern up myself - it was surprisingly easy.  Will add a tute if anyone is interested?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 08:50:15 AM by brokenporcelaindoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
Paleona
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009 09:18:17 AM »

LOVE the fabric and that style of shirt is just awesome  Grin  You did such a great job and it fits you really well... I think it looks great as is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PIXY
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009 09:23:52 AM »

really cute fabric.  I love the polka dot trim.  I have always had a hard time with those cute wrap tops it always feels like the girls are going to escape, so I always wear them over a tank for containment purposes.  the sleeves would be be cute for spring/summer to wear over a tank, but i really like the way it looks as is paired with the long sleeve white shirt for fall/winter weather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pilly

Internet! Is that thing still around?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009 10:28:37 AM »

Very cute! I saw this mushroom fabric at my local craft store and lusted after it, and I love what you've done with it. I'm a big fan of anything wraparound, pinafore, or apron-y. My clothes are very plain, so projects like yours give me hope for snazzing up my look someday. This top would also look great with a lime green or yellow shirt. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading a magazine.                                         

- Jack Handey
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009 04:06:12 PM »

Thank you all!  I'm glad you like it.

Quick tute, handy for boobage-addled women.

First, take the measurements:

Measure front and back separately.  For the front measure as follows:

Waist A
Widest part of bust B
Distance waist-bust (measure level with nipple) C
Distance bust-top of chest (level with armpit) (level with nipple again) E
Distance chest-shoulder (again level with nipple) F
Widest part of hips G
Distance waist-hips (level with bellybutton) H

To make the front pieces, fold the fabric in half lengthways.  Take our waist measurement A, halve it, and add several inches.  I added 4, but you should add more if you want it to wrap further or have more tummy, or less if the reverse is true.  So, we have (A/2)+4.  Draw a horizontal line of this length from about 1 inch from the fold, to allow a seam allowance.

Draw a line of length C up from this.  Then from that line draw (B/2)+4

Next add E and F together and draw a line up about 2 inches in from the edge of the bust line

Follow this in horizontally about 4 inches, then draw a diagonal line down to the waist line.

Draw a horizontal line level with the top of the chest (level with armpit) and take it out to the same distance as the bust line.

Next, draw H, and from this draw (G/2)+4

Neaten the lines up - connect them, adding curves as needed for the bust and armpit.

Now you have the pattern for the front piece.

For the back:
This is much simpler.
Measure as follows:

Waist A
Upper back (level with armpit) B
Shoulders C
Hips D
Distance waist-back (level with spine) E
Distance back-shoulders (level with spine) F
Distance waist-hips (level with spine) G

Divide A, B, C and D by 2.  Fold the fabric lengthways.  Add together E, F anf G and draw a vertical line for these.  At the appropriate points, draw A/2, B/s, C/2 and D/2

Connect the lines, adding curveswhere needed.

This is the pattern piece for theback.

Cut out 2 each of the front and back pieces, connect them all together but do not join the 2 front pieces.
When connecting one of the front pieces to a back piece, leave a gap about 2 inches wide level with the waist.  Ensure the gap is secure and will not widen by stitching back and forth either side a few times.

Use readymade or own-made ribbon, connect a piece level with the waist to the edge of both front pieces.  Add trim as desired.  Finish sleeves.

TADA!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 04:06:51 PM by brokenporcelaindoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009 06:47:28 AM »

great top and thanks for posting the pattern!  I'm going to make one too, probably a knit version.  I've got to get some sewing done this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

louiseq
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009 08:15:10 AM »

Your top is so pretty!I love the fabrics, the mushroom one is gorge!I would say go for the applique because I love it and wish I could do it so I could applique everything I own!
Your tute is great too, thanks!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009 05:19:22 AM by louiseq » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009 09:52:14 PM »

thanks for posting the pattern. I might just give it a try! I am quite boobaddled myself most times...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Pork Chops
How to Make Breakfast
Grilled Meats and Veggies
Pork Chops and Beer Bacon Gravy
Big Bacon Burger
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...