A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to Central Mississippi  (Read 2877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jane dough
« on: March 19, 2007 01:09:11 PM »

Hi, ladies and gents!

My husband and I just found out that we are moving to Jackson, MS.  We've lived in many places in the south, but we've never lived in a city quite as small as Jackson.  I'm worried that it won't be as easy to meet people, but maybe it will actually be easier...

Anyway, I love crafting!  I knit, paint, sketch, stencil, embroider (a little), and sew (a tiny, tiny bit).  I am 27, and I enjoy going out (especially to see live music).  Are there many of you out there?  I'd love to meet some people with similar interests, and I'd also love to learn as much about the city as I can!

Any help from y'all would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
Designersheets
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007 04:50:49 PM »

Hi, i live about a half hour north of jackson, not much around here but there are plenty of things in jackson. I don't know if i would call it small, but i have never really been anywhere huge. Love to chat about it more if youre up to it sometime. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane dough
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007 12:00:56 PM »

Thanks for responding!  I guess I consider Jackson to be small because most of the places I've lived have been much bigger.  (Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville, NYC, etc.)   Wink  I am excited about moving down, though.  My husband and I are moving in two weeks!  (Woohoo!)

Do you have any favorite thrift stores in the area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Designersheets
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 01:55:52 PM »

Oh i so love thrift stores and i know most of them. Um, the best are the gateway rescue mission thrift store in pearl which is just minutes south of jackson right on Hwy. 80 it has lots of funky clothes, furniture, great selection of vinyl records and books. Cheap too. there is a goodwill in pearl as well but not as good. I haven't been impressed by any of the sal. armys down here. And The goodwill in madison on Hwy 51 is great for crazy jewelry, books, clothes, espc. tee shirts, and toys - most of the stuff there is coming from the richer neighborhoods. And there is Hudsons - a chain store with super cheap stuff, but i love a store called "Dirt Cheap" yeah it so is, there aren't any in jackson so you have to go about a half hour north to get there in yazoo city on 49. I have bought brand expensive new picture frames there for like .50 all their stuff is new it's a clearance store and they knock percentages off as time goes by. They even have really nice clothes for super cheap, i have seen gap stuff(brand new) for .25 !!!! most isn't over 7.00 and so worth it. alot of the stuff is returns and open packages so check it well and they have an outlet in the back you can plug stuff in to check it.  By far my best finds there are a thousand dollars worth of solar panels for 160.00 and a white down comforter perfect condition for 40.00 worth 450.00 so worth the drive!  And you will have to check out the fondren district of jackson, lots of artsy and cool stores more expensive then thrift stores but cooler. And they have a natural food store there too.  There is a farmers market in jackson as well. Do you have kids, i know lots more stuff to do with kids, i have 2 boys, but i also know about most of the other attractions as well. And my hubby is really into rc hobbies so i could tell you about that too. anything else you want to know just ask, I've got lots of time. Oh and you will want to sign up for freecycle too, i always find great free stuff there. Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane dough
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007 12:38:55 PM »

Do you have kids, i know lots more stuff to do with kids, i have 2 boys, but i also know about most of the other attractions as well. And my hubby is really into rc hobbies so i could tell you about that too. anything else you want to know just ask, I've got lots of time. Oh and you will want to sign up for freecycle too, i always find great free stuff there. Grin Cheesy
No kids, but we do have a very spoiled french bulldog!   Cheesy  And, I'm already signed up for Jackson's freecycle.  I can't live without that or craigslist.   Wink

My husband is really into tennis, psychology (how he makes a living), and the tv show Heroes.  I love music, movies, tons of crafts, writing, photography, books, fashion, and bargains.  We love to eat out, and it looks like Jackson has a fair amount of local restaurants we will enjoy.

Really, thank you so much for letting me know about all of these places.  I can't wait to get down there!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

icats
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007 07:02:57 AM »

Hi!  Hattiesburg here.   I'm about 2 hours south of Jackson, but am often there for business meetings.  Definately find Hudson's.  The one in Jackson is really large and selection changes often.

In the Hattiesburg area, we have several Hudson's and Dirt Cheaps.  Talk about great finds....  I love that I can pick up furniture to paint or use outside and if I screw it up, no big loss.  I am currently working on a dining room table I got there for about $10.  It has a mission furniture look.   I rasterbated my monogram, used carbon paper to outline it, and am using my Dremel to carve it out.  Gosh it's taking FOREVER.  When I'm done, I'm going to put resin on it and use if for my craft desk (that should be in about 5 years or so... hehe).

When you make it down, PM me and keep you updated on the Hudsons find in my area and let you know if it's worth a trip down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Expert: Color of Your Walls Might Change the Way You Look
How to Take the Best Selfie
How to Wear White Eyeliner
The 4 Best Products for Contouring
How to Choose the Best Makeup Primer for Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...