A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 5 new patterns today  (Read 1256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CassMira
« on: March 18, 2007 06:58:29 PM »

I am not new to sewing, or using patterns, but I have a question about patterns.
Anyone have ideas for not cutting new patterns out? I used to trace them onto freezer paper, when I had a sliding glass door, but I have moved since then and no longer live in a house with a good sized light box. But thats the only thing I miss about being married, the sliding glass door where I used to trace my patterns. Anyhow, I just don't want to, cut the smallest sized pattern and lose the bigger sizes just in case it doesn't fit. Help. If I posted this in the wrong place, I am sorry. Also what can I use to trace the pattern on, besides freezer paper?
Thanks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007 07:02:14 PM »

I use the non woven interfacing. It goes on sale for about 50 cents a yard and I stock up. You can see through it well enough to trace without a light box and you can fold it up.

I've also used tracing paper in the big rolls from an art supply store (pearl paint). That was for a class on altering patterns, but we got about 13 pants patterns out of it for around $25.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CassMira
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007 07:16:18 PM »

Oh thank you, I love the interfacing idea. I will have to pick some up the next time I go out. I live 40 miles away from the nearest fabric store, so it will be next weekend. I have iron on interfacing but I don't know if that will work.
Great idea though. Thanks a bunch...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allisone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007 05:48:23 PM »

I bet it would work. I'm just too cheap to use my iron in interfacing. Last time JoAnn's had a good sale on the sew in non woven stuff I got a whole load of it for 25 cents a yard. I have also been known to use paper bags or newspaper roll ends (I worked at the newspaper at the time) if it was just a one time use or if I was drafting a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007 10:18:36 PM »

In some areas, you can find something called "soil separator fabric" at big box hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc). It is sold in the plumbing area, and is meant for some kind of use involving septic systems. One manufacturer is 'Carriff' - they also sell something similar for this purpose - http://www.carriff.com/Products/sewing-fabric.htm.  Anyway, it is a thin nonwoven polyspun fabric on rolls - the width varies (usually 2-3 feet wide), and a good sized roll (300 feet or so) is usually in the $15-25 range. It is translucent so you usually don't need a light source/table. Pens don't work on it, but colored pencils do, it doesn't tear easily and usually doesn't wrinkle (this varies), plus it is a bit static and will stick to many fabrics (less need for pins). You can also sew it on the machine - I've sewn together sections of it to use as a floating row cover, and it held up outside in the wind/elements for most of the summer.  Some people like it, some don't - YMMV.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 20  blog!
allisone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007 11:11:53 AM »

Now *THAT* is a cool idea. I'm going to have to go check that stuff out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 11:27:58 AM »

There's also stuff called Swedish tracing paper that's excellent for tracing patterns. I bought mine at a sewing expo, but it's available online.  Personally, I didn't like the soil separating paper because it's only available in black around here (In FL, it comes in tan to match the sand), and the black was hard to see through (it also varied enough in thickness that some spots were sheer while others were opaque).

The one hint I used for years was to cut the pattern out at the largest size, and fold back to the size you want. You have to clip the curves, but it works passably well.  As for a light box, do you have any windows that can substitute(front window, storm door on the front door, car window)?  If you can get a sheet of Plexiglas (Lowe's/Home depot should have it), you can put it in front of a light source, and store it away when you're not using it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
cleandirty
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007 12:40:12 PM »

If you aren't concerned about preserving the patterns in an absolutely pristine state, you can use transfer paper and a tracing wheel to move the pattern directly to the fabric.  This is what I do, and it takes less time than you'd think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know a girl, who had premarital sex?  Do you know what she did on graduation day?  DIED! -- Mr. Weir, Freaks and Geeks
CassMira
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007 10:11:22 AM »

A lot of great ideas. Thanks everyone. I must say I do still like the interfacing idea. will have to stop at the fabric store this weekend and pick some up. I did resort to using freezer paper this time. But I think the interfacing will not tear as easy. Again. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Model Candice Swanepoel LIVE
Candice Swanepoel Answers #NoFilter Questions
Holiday Beauty Gifts for $30 or Less
The 6 Best Red Lipsticks
Is Your Pillowcase Making You Breakout?
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...