A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Want to make my boyfriend batwings....  (Read 2732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wrybrarian
« on: January 13, 2004 09:42:21 AM »

Hi, I want to make my boyfriend batwings for a bat costume. I know it sounds silly, but our band is playing a battle of the bands and we thought it'd be really funny. Any ideas for something easy? I can hand sew, but don't have a machine. Also, the bigger the better....

Thank you!!! Oh, and this is my first posting, but I did become very inspired after reading craftster. Got together with a coupla girlfriends and made a Hogans Heroes trivet. Pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004 09:57:55 AM »

OK. This might not make sense-
I am thinking Black trash bags...
You could fasten one end to the sleeves of his shirt and then fasten the other end to the sides of his shirt - you would probably have to use long sleeve. Maybe you could then shape the edges of the bag sort of bat-like so that when his arms are raised they billow out.
  Hmmm....
I watched batman last night coincidently- I think that is how his costume worked. However, playing any type of instrument might prove difficult.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merebeardith

I'm rad. you're rad. lets hug.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004 03:39:03 PM »

I hope this makes sense:
1.get 2 pieces of poster board. preferably black(incase facric comes off @ corners

2. draw 1 bat wing. try your hardest, it will look good!!! when pleased with wing shape trace unto other piece of poster.

3.cut out "wings"

4.buy a few yards of black felt or any suitable bat wing fabric.

5. lay felt out flat, and then one  of the wings ontop and trace wings onto fabric.  do this 4 times so you have a front and back 2 go on each wing.

6. using a strong glue, glue on the fabric.

7.to connect 2 your bf get elastic and cut our a long strip, sew ends to each other to make circle, connect to edge of wing. (he can put his arm tho the circle) do this for each wing

voila
meredith
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squidget
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004 03:53:51 PM »

I can't remember which site I saw this on, but there was a girl who had wire wings, but only the top of the wing was wire, and the bottom flowed freely, basically two arches with hanging fabric, sorry terrible at explaining!!!! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aryn
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004 09:35:01 AM »

In the all-halloween issue (2000) Martha Stewart had a "no-sew costumes" section and it included bat wings made out of umbrellas. I can't find it anywhere on her site.

Take the umbrella apart and leave the wire spokes in. Split it in half. Basically, one end of the half is attached to the wrist and the other to the hip. When you raise your arms, it looks like bat wings and the spokes help it to keep its shape. Otherwise it's just a lot of extra fabric under the arms. Hers were attached to a harness of some sort, I guess to keep the middle part up by the armpits.  

I can type out all the directions if you'd like, though I wasn't sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for and MS's directions are quite wordy.

hmm, that's the second umbrella-related craft I've posted about...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004 06:43:09 AM »

I have made several pairs of wings, and I've found wire hangers and tights work best. They are light, sturdy, and can be re-shaped as needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
nothingremains
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004 07:01:30 PM »

I can't remember which site I saw this on, but there was a girl who had wire wings, but only the top of the wing was wire, and the bottom flowed freely, basically two arches with hanging fabric, sorry terrible at explaining!!!! Roll Eyes

i don't know if we're thinking about the same site but there's one with something that sounds like that. it's:

www.gothfashion.inf o

i think there's something about d.i.y. that you can click on. hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004 08:59:32 PM »

these are kind of abstract bat wings, but they were easy and i think they look cool.  but maybe too girly?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Render From Start to Finish Part 1/2 - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Render From Start to Finish Part 2/2 - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Make a Film Look Scratched in FX Room - Apple Color
How to Create a Render Farm Part 1/3 - Apple Compressor
How to Create a Render Farm Part 2/3 - Apple Compressor
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...