A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: White Honda Elite Scooter - Blank Canvas!  (Read 1763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

buglake

..ah, my darling Lenore.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2007 11:45:05 AM »

Put your craft helmet on!

So, I have been jonesing to paint and make over my '01 Honda Elite 80 scooter since the day I got it (2/14/07), but have yet to hit an idea that has made me really excited.  

Here is her story:
"Valentine's Day, my husband made plans for a little afternoon date.  He drove me to a tow yard.  <romantic>  There was my present - a white '01 Honda Elite 80.  Filthy dirty, covered in sticky tow yard crud, it was an impound that had seen sitting for a while.  The guy just wanted it out of his way, so we started it right up, loaded it on the truck and paid the guy $500.  
I now have my blank canvas!  
I think the Elite is soo ugly and dated looking, but I know that Hondas can take the beating I'm willing to give.  They hae been making this exact scooter with no changes at all since 1983.  The scooter reminded me of Rosie the Robot Maid on The Jetson's - so Rosie is her name!"

All her body panels snap off the framing, and she is entirely plastic.  There is slight cosmetic damage around the front headlight - I guess I'll have to sand, bondo and repair there.

Ideas
I have gotten mildly excited at cutting decals from contact paper and then spraying her a matt black or dark burgundy, then removing the decals for the white contrast.  I tossed around:
Stars; polka dots of varing sizes; 50's retro shapes; skulls...

I am not an arteeeist (French emphasis added), so freehand painting is a bit out of my realm.  

HELP!  I'd love to hear some ideas!  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 07:31:03 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.. . . .__     )_
>>>/(o))__/(o)

Riding my Vespa and being creative - the only reasons why I get out of bed at all.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007 11:59:39 AM »

How about using some sort of decal and putting a Rosie right on the front (to match your key chain)? Then apply other decals of "Jetson-like" stuff around the rest of the body. There is that kind of decal that you put in water and then slide on...it's kind of pricey, but worth it, I think!

She definitely has a space-age look to her...she could use some rocket ship decals1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ericalm
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007 09:36:15 PM »

Hey, buglake, Congrats on the new scoot! (I really like the P200 you posted in the other thread!)
It's cool that you have a totally blank canvas to work with!
I don't know how contact paper will do... but you can get custom vinyl decals cut for you fairly inexpensively at a number of places online or at a local sign/sticker/banner printing shop. If you're going to be riding at night, reflective vinyl is great for increasing visibility.

Krylon Fusion paint works really well on plastic—smooth with no need to sand off existing paint. I think you can even get clear paint to give it a really nice gloss finish.

I think a '50s futuristic "Rosie"/Jetsons kind of theme would be really cool on an Elite 80... anything to take it out of the 1980s. (Though I fondly remember the Honda scoot commercials with Devo, Adam Ant and Grace Jones...)

Some inspiration? I had a hard time finding pics of customized Elites for some reason...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
buglake

..ah, my darling Lenore.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007 05:32:07 PM »

Hey Eric - thanks for the pics!  I too couldn't find many pics of the Elite when I searched as modified, altered and customized as search terms.  There must be a million of these scoots out there!   

Come on folks - in the name of all that is unique - we MUST craft up this scooter!!!  Keep the ideas flowin'!!

birgitta
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.. . . .__     )_
>>>/(o))__/(o)

Riding my Vespa and being creative - the only reasons why I get out of bed at all.
crystalwaters
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007 07:25:25 AM »

Buglake, I am totally jealous of your new-to-you scoot. I think the Elites are so cool. They are both retro and futuristic - like what people back in the 40s pictured people in the 2000s would be riding (only maybe they could fly, too)!

I know I've seen tips on how to paint plastic panels somewhere over at urbanscootin, but I can't seem to find them. Ericalm, do you recall where they are?

You might get some ideas from scooter-art.com. One of my scooter friends made similar retro stars out of colored electrical tape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ericalm
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007 10:00:35 AM »

Hi, Crystal! I feel like such a forum whore sometimes... popping up all over the Net.  Grin

There's a tutorial for painting plastic parts here: http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/painting.html

BUT I'm not sure all of the sanding and so on is necessary. It may depend on the type of plastic—painted, injection molded, whatever.I just know that some plastics have the color mixed into them. A lot of Genuine Buddy owners have had success with Krylon Fusion and patience on naked, unsanded plastic. Check out this thread (and you can search for others).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buglake

..ah, my darling Lenore.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007 12:11:18 PM »

Hey Crystal & Eric - you won't believe it....
I bought another scooter last night.  This too has some cosmetic damage, but I am now an owner of a 2004 Vespa Granturismo 200L!

We three will be good friends soon enough - I have read plenty of both of you over at the Modern Vespa forum!  Now.... what to do with my craft project Elite?  Back to craigslist!!!!

buglake
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.. . . .__     )_
>>>/(o))__/(o)

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007 03:03:16 PM »

Oooh buglake!

I want your "old" Elite!!  Grin

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra $500 and you live to far away for me to come and get it...how long would it take to drive a scooter from CA to MA???  Wink

But, ever since I saw your post, I've been thinking about getting one for driving around and doing errands...I'll just have to find a local one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ericalm
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007 03:32:41 PM »

Hey Crystal & Eric - you won't believe it....
I bought another scooter last night.  This too has some cosmetic damage, but I am now an owner of a 2004 Vespa Granturismo 200L!

We three will be good friends soon enough - I have read plenty of both of you over at the Modern Vespa forum!  Now.... what to do with my craft project Elite?  Back to craigslist!!!!

buglake

The true depths of my combined Internet and scooter addictions are now revealed! Look forward to seeing your modifications!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 6/6
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 13/28
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 2/6
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 3/6
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 1/6
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...