A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilt from button-down shirts  (Read 4375 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2004 08:14:26 AM »

My father passed away last week. I'd like to make a quilt of the mostly cotton button-down shirts he left behind, but I'm not sure where to start. Of course, I could do just plain old squares, but I was wondering if anyone has any other bright ideas about how to construct the quilt top or any special touches I could add? I'd like to make it for my mother for xmas, and I might have enough to actually make 2 quilts.... Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadkate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004 12:37:46 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dad, but a quilt from his shirts is a cool idea. You could use specific parts from the shirts like the collars and pockets to make a crazy-quilt like pattern. The blocks could be a ninepatch pattern from the main fabric of the shirts and the collars and pockets could be apliqued over the blocks in a random pattern. You could use the buttons from the shirts as embellishment. Check out your local library for some great quilt books, or check to see if there is a quilt guild in your area, or a great quilt shop if you need some hands-on guidance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004 12:44:21 PM »

Oh, those are wonderful ideas! Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it. Anyone else have advice? I think this will be a good coping activity for me, and maybe I'll enlist my mom's help as well... All thoughts are very welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004 01:56:33 PM »

Condolences about your dad, weahltheow....I love the shirt idea. I've seen an example of a quilt using squares from shirts and a shirt in the middle- aha found it: http://www.bevividnow.com/QuiltShirt.htm

perhaps a bit gawdy, but you get the idea.   Perhaps an embroidered square based on a favorite photo? Jenny from www.Sublimestitchin g.com  is all about that...and I believe a fellow craftster pal.

good luck,
xxBA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004 02:27:23 PM »

Oh my goodness, I'm getting so many wonderful ideas! Thank you both sooooo much. This is so important to me, because one of the last things my dad gave me was my own sewing machine in a beautiful antique cabinet for college graduation. I think he was proud that I can sew and do creative things, and I'd like to make this in honor of his memory. I miss him so much already... I can't wait to start designing using all these great ideas! Does anyone have anything else to add?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004 02:49:26 PM »

what a wonderful way to remember your father.   art is such good therapy.  i'm sure it'll turn out beautiful-best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004 01:28:02 PM »

That's a great idea! You could also reuse the buttons in the corners of the squares or something. I wish I did that with my grandpa's shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchgrrl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004 07:30:56 AM »

I'm sure he loves that you're doing this.

If you have any pictures you especially like, you can transfer them to fabric and make almost a frame for them using the armhole or neckhole of the shirts.  Or, if you can, pair up pictures with some of the shirts (if he's wearing one of them in the pic, transfer it onto that particular shirt).

What a beautiful thing for you to do-I wish many blessings on your healing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupin.lupin

aren't we all great!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004 09:54:29 AM »

I made a kind of quilt from shirts and used buttons in it too, it was a patchwork sewn on a blanket. I will try and dig it out and post a pic, when i've worked out how to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
www.sly-eye.com

"Do crafts not drugs!"-Kitty Foreman,That 70s show

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004 08:27:36 PM »

Here are instructions from Martha Stewart on making a  shirt pocket quilt wall hanging.  It swhows it for a kids bedroom but it could be used for anyone.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1486&xsc=SC4756

Morgan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kallese
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004 11:13:58 AM »

Okay okay, I'll have to admit now that Martha sometimes makes things that are cool Cheesy

I love that pocket quilt.  Why hang it!  it would be fun to wrap up in on the couch and stick the remote in the pockets, or a little bag of crackers.

thanks for pointing that one out Morgan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004 05:51:45 PM »

I had an inspiration today that I'm sure my Marine/avid hunter father would have loved.  I'm going to make quilted soft shotgun cases for my brothers out of some of this fabric. Now I just have to figure out HOW... If anyone knows of any resources for patterns or tips, please post! Wish me luck and please, all, take care!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004 08:31:43 PM »

If you haven't already made the quilt, might I suggest stitching down the button plackets and using the front of the shirt, buttons and all, as your quilt squares?  Then, for the back of each of those blocks, use fabric from the back of the same shirt, so one side would be soft and comfy, the other would be cool and nostaligic, and when you flipped the quilt over, you'd have the front and back of each shirt.  Also, if you happen to have any of his old ties, you could stitch those on to a few of the blocks as though he were wearing them.

I did a quick search on google and didn't really see much in the way of gun case patterns except a historically accurate colonial gun case pattern, but that wouldn't really work.  I might suggest borrowing a soft case from someone and taking some measurements, making sure to find out before sewing whether your brothers have standard sized shotguns.  I wouldn't think the pattern would be terribly difficult, but if worse comes to worst, you could always just line a pre-made case with the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004 08:36:53 PM »

Lothruin--
it's like you read my mind!
I was just thinking about the same kind of quilt set up as I was scrolling down through the posts, then got to yours.
I think this is a great idea, even if I didn't have it first:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004 06:40:04 PM »

This isn't a quilt.... its make pillows from shirts... I had saved the directions in a file.... and telling myself....make a purse??    If you have a few shirts leftover.....just another idea for you.
http://allsands.com/Home/Carfts/pillowsshirts_rqh_gn.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004 09:13:33 PM »

i too was going to suggest transfering photos! you could take some from when the first started dating all through their life. Like a photo album of sorts.
 This is a beautiful idea. I'm sorry about your loss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Lloer

Spinning 'til I'm dizzy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004 06:39:11 AM »

I'm actually working on a similar project following the death of my Dad in January.. I'm making a double bed sized quilt. The blocks use half-square triangles, in total I think I cut about 800 triangles (or was it 800 squares to make 1600 triangles?). I think its taken about 10-12 shirts to produce enough fabric. I'm not using any of the areas with buttons though.

One important thing will be to starch each shirt to ensure that you can cut accurately. Shirt fabric tends to distort unless its starched as its thinner than normal quilting fabric.

I'm also planning on using his heavier shirts (denim and flannel) to make a raggy quilt. That's where you leave the seams on the outside and snip them. When the quilt is washed, the seams go fluffy.

So far, I've found the whole process very comforting rather than upsetting. I hope it helps you too.

Lloer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My personal blog - www.lloeren.com

My Knitting Book Review blog - http://lloeren.typepad.com/knitbooks/

Free The West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org
simply
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004 05:48:28 PM »

not exactly a quilt, but i work in a nursery and one child has a blanket made from his dad's old t-shirts. the mom cut off the sleeves and just below the neckline to make a rectagle, sewed 2 together to make the front and 2 to make the back. had a single layer of light batting sewed into it.  so if you have a lot of t's or sweaters, you could make some lap blankets, or regular sized ones.  maybe some matching pillows too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

getinmumouthstuff

get in my mouth!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004 05:54:20 PM »

awesome idea!  what about cutting all of the pockets out and forming a star with the points (points inside, straight edges outside) in the middle of the quilt?

I'd love to see pics, y'all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sandra Chapman Shares Brain Exercises from Her Book Make Your Mind Smarter
Hoda Kotb on Her New Book Ten Years Later
Holly Goddard Jones Discusses Her Novel The Next Time You See Me
How to Write a Novel
How to Become a Freelance Writer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...