A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilt from button-down shirts  (Read 4372 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2004 08:14:26 AM »

My father passed away last week. I'd like to make a quilt of the mostly cotton button-down shirts he left behind, but I'm not sure where to start. Of course, I could do just plain old squares, but I was wondering if anyone has any other bright ideas about how to construct the quilt top or any special touches I could add? I'd like to make it for my mother for xmas, and I might have enough to actually make 2 quilts.... Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadkate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004 12:37:46 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dad, but a quilt from his shirts is a cool idea. You could use specific parts from the shirts like the collars and pockets to make a crazy-quilt like pattern. The blocks could be a ninepatch pattern from the main fabric of the shirts and the collars and pockets could be apliqued over the blocks in a random pattern. You could use the buttons from the shirts as embellishment. Check out your local library for some great quilt books, or check to see if there is a quilt guild in your area, or a great quilt shop if you need some hands-on guidance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004 12:44:21 PM »

Oh, those are wonderful ideas! Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it. Anyone else have advice? I think this will be a good coping activity for me, and maybe I'll enlist my mom's help as well... All thoughts are very welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004 01:56:33 PM »

Condolences about your dad, weahltheow....I love the shirt idea. I've seen an example of a quilt using squares from shirts and a shirt in the middle- aha found it: http://www.bevividnow.com/QuiltShirt.htm

perhaps a bit gawdy, but you get the idea.   Perhaps an embroidered square based on a favorite photo? Jenny from www.Sublimestitchin g.com  is all about that...and I believe a fellow craftster pal.

good luck,
xxBA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004 02:27:23 PM »

Oh my goodness, I'm getting so many wonderful ideas! Thank you both sooooo much. This is so important to me, because one of the last things my dad gave me was my own sewing machine in a beautiful antique cabinet for college graduation. I think he was proud that I can sew and do creative things, and I'd like to make this in honor of his memory. I miss him so much already... I can't wait to start designing using all these great ideas! Does anyone have anything else to add?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004 02:49:26 PM »

what a wonderful way to remember your father.   art is such good therapy.  i'm sure it'll turn out beautiful-best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004 01:28:02 PM »

That's a great idea! You could also reuse the buttons in the corners of the squares or something. I wish I did that with my grandpa's shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchgrrl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004 07:30:56 AM »

I'm sure he loves that you're doing this.

If you have any pictures you especially like, you can transfer them to fabric and make almost a frame for them using the armhole or neckhole of the shirts.  Or, if you can, pair up pictures with some of the shirts (if he's wearing one of them in the pic, transfer it onto that particular shirt).

What a beautiful thing for you to do-I wish many blessings on your healing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupin.lupin

aren't we all great!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004 09:54:29 AM »

I made a kind of quilt from shirts and used buttons in it too, it was a patchwork sewn on a blanket. I will try and dig it out and post a pic, when i've worked out how to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
www.sly-eye.com

"Do crafts not drugs!"-Kitty Foreman,That 70s show

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004 08:27:36 PM »

Here are instructions from Martha Stewart on making a  shirt pocket quilt wall hanging.  It swhows it for a kids bedroom but it could be used for anyone.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1486&xsc=SC4756

Morgan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Stuffed Chicken
How to make Fried Potatoes
How to make Pork Ribs in a Dutch Oven
How to make Meatloaf
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...