A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,307
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I just made a boo-boo....A skirt that doesn't fit. Help? (Pics inside)  (Read 1402 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elphelba
« on: March 17, 2007 12:07:47 AM »

Well, I've just spent the last two months making a skirt. I made a toille which fit perfectly. I've unpicked the whole thing once to correct some technical errors. I've put the whole thing together tonight and realized that I have gained about a pound in my rear and it's just not going to fit. It's just barely too small. I can put it on as is and it's ok as long as I don't move (which obviously means that I'll never wear it out). Scrapping it is not an option, I've put months into it and the fabric is no longer avaliable so remaking it isn't going to happen. It's also been a rather costly endeavor, and I can't bring myself it throw all that money away. I think I've come up with an idea to make it fit, but I would like to hear every one's opinions. I don't have any pictures of my actual skirt, but it looks exactly like this:

As you can see from the pics, there are six straight panels with triangular insets inbetween them. Since I've lowered the waist of the skirt, the panels on mine are closer to the bottom of the yoke. Since I only need about another inch, I was thinking about making the two insets on the side go up higher to add some width around the hips (I've already put the front together and attached the yoke and put the back together and attached the yoke so I essentially have 2 large pieces that need to be joined at the sides. One side will get an invisible zipper). Do you guys honestly think that idea is going to work and still look good? Do you have any other options? (I can't rip it apart again because the main fabric is brocade and it just can't take any more rippage)

Sorry about the rant, I just had to get it out and everyone I know is asleep  Roll Eyes. You guys have all been wonderful, thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
saralynne
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007 12:55:32 AM »

It looks fantastic. My suggestion was going to be to put some sort of insert in the sides, but you've already thought of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007 12:59:28 AM »

It looks fantastic. My suggestion was going to be to put some sort of insert in the sides, but you've already thought of it.
Thanks. I'm really in need of some extra reassurance right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007 01:37:49 AM »

your idea sounds good, but if you don't like it yourself you could try a corset-like string closure, they look pretty cool on skirts and looking at the picture it seems to fit the concept.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Eveel

www.sinfulknitter.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007 04:58:54 AM »

try long line suck-em-n pantyhose.  Yo should be able to gain and inch in the hips and the rest of the weight will redistribute.  I had a dress that was a little tight in the hips and when I did this I swear I gained at least 1/2 inch on either side.  I know that Phantom makes a great pair but there are other companies.

http://www.phantom.ca/index.php/shaper/firm_control/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007 05:00:57 AM by Eveel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
daemon
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007 05:59:36 AM »

Just like eevil said, go for tha Spanx.  Dont know if you were watching the Oscar's red carpet show or whatnot, but they had a huge schpiel about how wonderful they are.  And, I tried them and they DO work!  It seems to me like any more ripping out will jeapordize the fabric so the spanx might be your best bet.  Also, what I do when my booty gets a tad too bootylicous, I go bike riding.  I swear, if you keep it up, bye bye too tight skirt, hello vamp.

(Hope my input is helpful  Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007 07:52:44 AM »

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and make the inset go up higher. I like the idea about a corset closure, You can't really tell from these pics, but there are two little lace up panels on the back, so that might look pretty good. If the waist band doesn't fit still, I'll add that to the sides. I'll probably wear it with tights of some sort as well. You all just helped me restore my faith in my sewing skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007 11:28:45 AM »

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I've spent the last 5 hours working on it (I work slowly), and I'm wearing it. It fits very comfortably now. I think the design was a bit nicer when all of the panels were the same size, but it still looks really good now. I don't think I''m going to take it off until December  Roll Eyes. You personages rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msweehoo
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007 06:23:05 PM »

Just had to say that that skirt ROCKS! Glad to hear you were able to fix it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

westbrook
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007 12:37:54 AM »

I wish I only had a pound to loose! your skirt is darling!

I agree with what you are going to do to add the inch. If you have 5/8 inch seam allowances that would fix your problem.. I know that means taking it apart.. again and sewing with a 1/4 inch s/a. If you serged it.. adding panels works.

I do like the fabric too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Sopranos Progressive Slot Machine
The 7 Point 7 Craps Bet
The Oasis 360 Slot Machine
Guster Serenade Rhiannon
How to Solve the 4T Puzzle Brain Teaser
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...