A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Acrylic paint disaster!  (Read 587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecatsaysquack
« on: March 15, 2007 08:40:55 PM »

I went to my painting class this afternoon, wearing a pair of pants that I had just (as in, five minutes before I left the house) finished altering to fit me properly, and when I got home I discovered that someone had spilled a lot of white paint on the stool that I sat on.  Needless to say, I am furious.  Unfortunately, since it was a three hour painting class, and I didn't discover it until I got home, it had already mostly dried.  My mom and I went into emergency scrubbing mode, and tried everything from dishsoap to paint thinner on them, but to no avail.  I know I shouldn't care so much, since until I reconned them they were junk pants anyway, but I'm more than a little disappointed that I put that much time into fixing them and now I'll never get to wear them again anyway.  So I charge you, the legion of crafsters:  Is there any way to get white paint (presumably acrylic, although it could also be gesso or latex) out of polyester?  Or should I just toss them out and try to get on with my life?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rowdy Vamp Raquel
Sewing till the death...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007 08:55:59 PM »

The best thing I can think of is paint thinner. It might fade the pants though. But blotting paint thinner on the pants into a paper towel(to soak up the paint) might work. I feel you pain. I once sat on gum during lunch and after the whole hour got up to realize my pant were stuck to the cement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amused
earthbound misfit

I can fly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007 06:52:27 AM »

paint thinner will not work for acrylic paint.
Try acetone (might discolour the fabric though), or go to a paint store (as in house paint) and get "goo gone" or something like that, ask the paint store employees, I believe methyl hydrate is the active ingredient.
If it hasn't cured (takes about a month for water based paints) you could still get this out,
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007 10:28:04 AM »

I had a similar situation in junior high art class, when two boys were goofing off and one of them tripped and spilled a pallate full of acrylic paint allover my really cool jean jacket (being a junior high aged kid I was devastated).  My mom was able to get it all off using spray and wash, it took about 8 washings though (spraying it and letting it soak every time).  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rustyhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007 11:55:46 AM »

This is kinda of dangerous but I just used Brake cleaner to clean jeans that had primer & paint all over them. I sprayed them, scrubbed with a tooth brush, rinse, then wash them (alone) right away.

P.S. Use the brake cleaner outside!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007 10:25:40 PM »

The best thing I have used to get off acrylic paint is called Goof Off.  It is really strong, but it rescued one of my favorite tee-shirts. 

It smells awful, though, and will make your nail polish all melty.  I can start to dissolve some plastics, too.  That's why it is so good at the paint.

You can get it in stores like Home Depot.

Good Luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007 10:41:01 PM »

I second the goof off.  It took a latex paint spot out of my carpet that had been there for a really long time.  Just be careful with the scrubbing.  I once scrubbed a hole right through my favorite pair of shorts, trying to get a stain out. Sad 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiderbite

Write your fears in here, my dear...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007 11:23:07 PM »

Well, worse comes to worse now you have a pair of pants to wear to painting class. If you can't get the paint out, at least you won't ruin any other pants by wearing these ones.

I know this is a mute point now, but always wore old clothes to a studio class. Even if you are the cleanest, neatest, most careful painter in the world, chance are someone else in the studio has all ready made it a wreck.

As it is right now, half my clothes have been ruined by acrylic paint. It seems I don't even follow my own advice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check my etsy site for GLOW-in-the-Dark Nightmare Snatcher journals and miniature Worry-Woolie notebooks:
http://spiderbite.etsy.com

Likewise please check Weirdling Works the Etsy shop for my collaborative work with my father, in illustration and writing:
http://weirdlingworks.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Circle
How to Criss Cross Crochet
How to Crochet Granny Squares
Creative Birthday Card Styles
Creative Wrapping Paper Styles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...