A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muff  (Read 3932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004 11:15:59 AM »

I had a muff when I was a kid, and it had a long string loop that went around my neck (one end attached to each end of the muff).  That way you can be completely hands free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004 11:47:20 AM »

Yeah, I had one of those too.  White fur to match my white go-go boots ...

I contemplated making a neck cord for the muff I just made, but then decided on the wrist thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004 12:14:27 PM »

Whats a muff? Sounds like something useful and quick to make...can someone post a pic or a link?
Thanks Roll Eyes
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Black Lamb
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004 02:00:58 PM »

Whats a muff? Sounds like something useful and quick to make...can someone post a pic or a link?
Thanks Roll Eyes
Tere

A muff is just like a tube (usually made of fur)that is open at both ends, they were really popular during the 17th and 18th centuries

http://www.capecodshops.com/Mall/Catalog/Product/ASP/product-id/325082/store-id/1000029291.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
hudelei
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004 02:03:50 PM »

A search at Nordstrom's turned up five muffs:

http://search.nordstrom.com/SearchResults.asp?KeyWord=muff&CatID=&go.x=21&go.y=22

I also just took a pic of the one I'm working on.  Unlined as of yet and I just finished weaving in ends and attaching the wrist cord last night. 

I think traditionally muffs are fur or faux fur (although this one is a strand of chenille crocheted together with two strands of an eyelash yarn).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaudiknight
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004 04:55:26 PM »

oh!  I always wanted one of those when I was little.  Are you using a pattern or just making it up as you knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hudelei
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004 05:09:56 PM »

For my part, I just made a tube (I crochet, so that's just a crocheted tube).  I just posted a thread with the pic in Crochet Projects , but there's not much more to it than crocheting or knitting or sewing a tube of some kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004 06:18:19 PM »

Thanks guys, now I know what a muff is. I think for me it wouldn't be practical (I'm an art student and always carrying tons of junk around) but it would make a super gift. A classy gift, in fact. Probably not too hard to do either.
Thanks,
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

harruko

kitten caniptions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004 06:04:32 AM »

ha, but what they're used for hasn't been mentioned, you put a hand in each end and it keeps them warm ^_^ i've always wantedone now i think about it..but i have no idea how to pull it inside out if you wanted to sew one out of fake fur.. too thick to stich the outside over... oh i'll have fun lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all made of stars
kba
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004 06:19:10 AM »

[\guote]The one thing I did that I dig is add a sort of wrist strap.  It's just a loop, basically, but I added a big bead that slides up and down to cinch and loosen it around my wrist.  I thought that might be handy for hanging onto the thing if I needed to get my hands out for something in a hurry.  That way I wouldn't drop it or have to pay extra attention to it.

These are on my snowboard mitts, to prevent me from dropping them off a chair lift, so they would be wounderful for keeping track of a muff. 
I call mine "idiot strings",  cause I can be an idiot, but I won't lose my mitts Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Hottest Celebrities on the Red Carpet
Recommended Clothes for a Beach Holiday
Alexa Chung and Kate Middleton Wear Many Shades of Blue
The Most Affordable Summer Clothes
Solange Knowles and Jenna Lyons Look Amazing at the Blue Jasmine Premiere
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...