A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: guitar/bass playing knitters  (Read 756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meriellyn
« on: March 15, 2007 10:29:59 AM »

I just started playing guitar and bass again after a year long hiatus. Obviously, I have no calouses anymore (and boy are my fingers sore Tongue). I have naturally soft hands so it takes a while to build up a decent resistence.
Anyway, anyone who plays a similar instrument and knits... do you find that your left hand catches on soft yarn more and such? I'm slightly concerned about how reviving my old hobby will affect my newer hobby.
Thoughts on how to build up enough finger toughness to make guitar playing comfortable while still keeping fingers smooth enough for knitting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007 10:39:47 AM »

I play guitar and knit, both almost religiously. I don't think I've ever had a problem with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007 01:19:05 PM »

I think I'd be fine if I'd been playing all along. Unfortunately I put down the instruments around the same time I took up knitting (not that they were directly related, it just happened that way). I'm just not looking forward to that building up calouses stage where my fingers peel like crazy. Tongue I don't think peel-y fingers and Malabrigo will mix well. Ah well, maybe I'll just pull out some less snagable acrylic to pass the time next week. (I'm still in the just sore stage. They'll be peeling by this time next week I'm sure.)

Must.not. see that as an excuse to go get that Simply Soft Shadows I've been wanting. Lol Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Khakigirl
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007 01:52:34 PM »

I keep hand lotion beside me while I'm knitting, and that helps smooth out the rough caloused bits.  Nothing worse than yarn shredding on your fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007 02:07:15 PM »

hmm.  i never really thought about it before.  i play guitar lefty and knit righty (i'm weird), so i guess maybe that's why it doesn't cause a problem for me? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
AriesEJ
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007 06:36:24 PM »

I would use an exfolient (sp).
I use a brand that you squeeze the gritty stuff out of tube and mix it with a gel.
I suppose you could use the stuff one uses on the face.
Rinse well and put lotion on.

Good luck!
My son knits and plays mandolin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineknits
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007 08:29:48 PM »

you can make a super cheap exfoliant that you can use on your hands and feet.. and it smells yummy too!

coarse sea salt or sugar - sugar is better, but its more expensive
honey or oil - you can use any oil, cooking oil has no smell. honey is better - but again more expensive

mix some sea salt or sugar with a bit of oil, you're trying for a very thick scrubby paste.  then scrub away and rinse well.  moisturize. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  (1922-2007)
meriellyn
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007 07:10:26 PM »

Oooh, good idea! I totally forgot I had a little sample tube of Crabtree & Evelyn goat milk hand scrub sitting around.

Thanks for the sugar scrub recipe, I'll definitely be putting that to use. I have some avocado oil and sweet almond oil I'll have to try out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007 01:12:53 AM »

If it's just a callus, there's not much I can think of. But if the skin is dry (or dead) very very fine sandpaper like you use on knitting needles might help.

My mother had atrociously VERY BADLY cracked skin on her feet, especially heels. I used 80 then 280-ish-grit sandpaper to remove most of the dead cracking skin and the difference was truly amazing. I wouldn't bother on my own good-condition feet, but the type you can use to remove hair (from legs) might help. If you have Silkymits, that might work - if not, try 1500 or 2500-grit sandpaper. Just to smooth the callus - not to reduce the thickness of the skin.
Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Constellation Art
Chance Rides: Kansas Company Stays in the Family Against All Odds
Julie_Vignette_WITH_PreRoll
The Weight of a Whistle: Why Making Trains Means the World to Terry Giddeon
Terry_Vignette_WITH_PreRoll
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...