A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another dye question  (Read 731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blyss
« on: March 15, 2007 10:17:33 AM »

How I go about dying a silk garment (camisole)? I've just read the dying jeans question posted earlier and understand mostly what was answered, so I'm going to assume that Rit liquid dye wouldn't work well. Which leads me to another dyeing question: I've dyed the bottoms of a bikini black with the liquid Rit (never put through the wash or worn yet) and would like to do a top; is there a specific dye for bating suit material, and is Rit just kind of a mediocre dying agent?

thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007 11:50:30 AM »

Acid dyes are good for silks. You can find them online at various vendors (such as Dharma Trading), or in some stores (try yarn stores, or Pearl Art if you have one nearby). They are used in a tub with very hot water (one of those little electric portable burners is handy if you want to avoid using the kitchen), and the 'acid' is just white vinegar, nothing scary.  Acid dyes work on protein fibers - wool, silk, and also nylon.  If your bathing suit material is nylon, it will dye with the acid dyes; if it is polyester it will not dye with anything short of special and dangerous industrial apparatus.  Find a big enameled crab or lobster pot at the thrift store to use as the vat - don't use any utensils or pots that you want to use with food ever again. Rubber gloves (your hands are protein too) and a  respirator or NIOSH mask for handing the dye powder are also advisable.

RIT and Dylon are union dyes - they have a little bit of different dye types all mixed up. IMO this leads to a less than ideal result, especially since fiber-specific dyes are not particularly expensive and give much better results in terms of color intensity, light- and wash-fastness. Black is difficult for any type of dye - most are really just a very very dark version of a color. You usually need to use considerably (twice or four times as much) dye agent when dyeing black.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blyss
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007 06:41:42 AM »

Thank you so much. That sounds more labor intensive then I probably want to handle at the moment; but then again, if I really break it down and just get myself started I'll be fine. And it sounds that the best time to do this may be outside during the warmer months. Hmm... Some new things to think about, thank you again Smiley

Vania
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY: Two-Tone Oxfords in One Step!
The Hottest Show Trends From New York Fashion Week
Fashion Week Detail Camera: Winter Wear - Fall 2014
Tips for Shopping at Forever 21
What Is a Skort?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...