A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rate your wheel  (Read 1157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Star217
« on: March 15, 2007 08:01:33 AM »

Hello everyone, I just got my wheel last weekend and I am in love.  I see so many people (myself included) posting questions on specific wheels I thought it might be a good idea for everyone to give feed back on their wheel answering some specific questions so that newbies (like myself) have a quick reference when searching the board.

I'll start it off

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Babes Pinkie

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Double

PROS:
I really like that this wheel was super easy to assemble and take apart it makes it easy for me to take it places. The entire wheel weighs less then 5 lbs which makes it a cinch to carry from room to room. The cost was very low (even though I personally didn't pay for it) and the manufacturer has been great about answering my questions regarding the product.

CONS:
The drive band has a tendency to come off the spindle when I treadle too fast. The flyer has only one hook and these sliding things that I suppose are there to make it easy but it can be a pain threading the roving through them. The wheel doesn't fold for portability and is definitely not as atheistically pleasing as a wood wheel.

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
I think this is a great wheel for a beginner/intermediate spinner who doesn't have a ton of money to spend, overall I am very happy with this wheel.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I am very short, so hight of the orifice is not an issue for me, however I would not reccomend the pinkie model to people who are average to tall hight because they would have to hunch over to spin (and that is no good for your back)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Laura22

Hmmm.... what to make today????

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007 06:49:56 PM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Fricke ST 160
SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Single

PROS:
Easy to assemble, great price, lots of ratios, spins well, large bobbins and delta orifice allow even bigger beads to be plied into my novelty yarns without incident.  Love the attached carry handle and oil bottle holder.  I also love the sliding clip instead of hooks on the flyer.  I also like that threading is very easy without any sort of hook needed.  The Fricke's are genuinely nice people that are proud to stand behind and support their product which rocks.

CONS:
The delta orifice, because of it's size and shape can wiggle the fiber around a bit, sort of a flickering of the yarn that can annoy some folks when doing long draw or woolen spinning.   It's a bit tall for me as I'm only 5' 4" tall but not uncomfy to use.  Mine didn't stay in the largest whorl on the drive band when I first got it.  Then I took it for a ride on the passenger seat of my car and somehow that made it better aligned and now it's fine. 
WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!  This really is an amazing wheel for the price.  It's easy for a beginner to assemble and learn on but has features that will keep even advanced spinners happy.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
If you plan to travel with your wheel, there is a folding version available.

And now for my other wheel....

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Louet Victoria
SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Double

PROS:
Incredibly lightweight and easy to travel with.  Pretty to look at and smooth to operate.  Orifice is tilted upward so it makes for a compact little wheel that you don't need to hunch over to spin on.  Sets up in seconds flat.  Comes with three ratios and a high speed flyer can be purchased if needed later.  Lazy Kate is nice that comes with it.  I can't think of enough nice things to say about this wheel, it really is a lovely spin.

CONS:
 Honestly, I don't have any so far. 
WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
Absolutely, this little beauty can go anywhere I can go.  It would easily fit into a suitcase in its bag or into the overhead compartment on a plane if you were up for the "what the heck is that thing" discussion with security Smiley

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I love this wheel, I'm thinking of leaving my hubby for it Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog :  http://photographybylaurapearce.blogspot.com/

Flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/lpphotography/

Twitter:  laurapearce22

I'm always up for trades and swaps, check out my trade page on Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/LauraPearce/stash/trade
Sherie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007 09:41:55 PM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Kromski Sonata

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Double

PROS:
Easily folds for traveling, weighs 11 pounds.  Nice carry bag also.  I set mine up in 10 minutes without any problems.  I've spun from chunky weight (6WPI) to laceweight (20WPI) on it without any problem.  I am a totally satisfied Sonata owner.

CONS:
None really.  The bobbin clacks if you don't oil the shaft, but that's about it.

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
Yes!  This is my first wheel and it's been very easy to learn to use.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I am 5'10" and the orifice is at a fine height for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bitibis
Bona Fide Tree Hugger

Fuzzy Bunny!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007 10:01:50 PM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Lendrum Folding

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Single

PROS:
Soooo easy to assemble/disassemble for transport (a single knob that you unscrew and screw in again).  It has a large range of ratios, especially if you get the complete package with a fast flyer and the plying bobbin with the extra large orifice.  Comes standard with a lazy kate and 4 bobbins.  No flyer hooks to contend with, just a nifty sliding metal loop that is incredibly convenient to use.  Low maintenance and compact.

CONS:
A little more expensive than some other wheels.

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
Yes!  I love this wheel.  It is a welcome change from my cranky old antique wheel.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I just spun a 345 yard, 5.9 ounce hank of yarn...and it didn't even threaten to overfill the jumbo plying bobbin.  If you get this wheel, I'd strongly recommend getting the complete package...it is definitely worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magnoliacoffee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007 06:34:25 AM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Ashford Traditional

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Single

PROS:
Affordable. Relatively easy to find for a good price.  Plenty of used ones on the market. Great to learn on because you get the chance to learn how to adjust an often finicky wheel.  Looks beautiful in the living room.  Attention getting if you plan on spinning in a crowd of non-spinners.

CONS:
Tiny bobbins.  Very frequent adjusting and oiling need.  Relatively large.  Would not be ideal for a small space.  Exceedingly difficult to transport.  (I do sometimes throw her in the backseat, but I have an anxiety attack with every bump and pothole.)

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
I would whole-heartedly recommend this wheel to adventurous beginners.  She certainly isn't one of those magic problem-free, adjustment-free wheels, but it is a good, solid, beautiful machine.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I bought my AT from an estate sale for $200.00.  I probably paid a bit too much considering I had to replace a number of parts before she was up and running.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boulderbliss
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007 07:36:16 AM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Lendrum Folding Complete

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Double

PROS:
Assembles in a snap.  Smooth as silk treadling.  Portability.  Beautiful design, made of Canadian Maple.  Good bargain for your money if you get the Complete set which includes the Fast Flyer, Jumbo Plying Head with LARGE ORIFICE, Jumbo Plying Bobbin, and Plying drive band.  With all that I can pretty much do anything I want.  Ratios with the regular bobbin are 6, 8 and 10 to 1.  Ratios with the large plying bobbin are 5, 7 and 9 to 1, and ratios with the fast flyer are 12, 15 and 17 to 1.  Oh, and no hooks on the flyer which is nice.  Instead it has a little slidey thingy.

CONS:
Poor customer service from manufacturer.  You must go through the dealer if you need anything or have any problems.  The Lazy Kate with it is free, but I'm not crazy about it.  I've bought a Kromski arched instead and will be selling the Lendrum Lazy Kate, but hey, it was FREE.

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
Absolutely YES!  I couldn't have asked for a better wheel.  I absolutely love it!  Spinning has never been such a breeze for me.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I'm 5'10" too as another poster mentioned above, and the Lendrum is very comfortable for me with a very comfortable orifice height.

Smiley
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007 07:46:10 AM by boulderbliss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007 07:45:52 PM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Kromski Symphony

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Double

PROS:
Beautiful wheel.  Spins very smoothly, has up to 4 ratios (two separate whorls with 2 grooves).  It is very solidly built and not terribly expensive ... as far as wheels go.  Mine was used, but came with a niddy noddy and lazy kate in a matching style. 

CONS:
Smallish bobbins and orifice (yarn size and add-ins are limited).  Requires regular oiling (this doesn't bother me, but might bother others). 

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
I love this wheel.  I only wish it had the possibility of truly funky yarn, but since I rarely spin chunky or funky yarn it hasn't been too big of an issue.  Travels reasonably well but is obviously not intended for travelling.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
This is a very nice wheel, especially if appearance is a concern.  It spins as beautifully as it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007 06:36:27 AM »

I'll start off by saying that it isn't exactly my very own wheel, but I do rent it frequently enough to know its little quirks.  I generally use this wheel for weeks at a time, not just for one or two days and I feel that it deserves review.

Type of wheel:  Majacraft Suzi Pro (with the heavy green wheel)

Single or Double Treadle:  Double

Pros: 
incredibly smooth wheel, with a HUGE range of ratios (4.1 to 15 to 1 - 4.1, 6.5, 9, 12 and 15 to 1, and I believe more, but not sure).  It is a great castle style wheel that looks heavy but isn't.  In fact you can fold this puppy to almost half its height--something most websites fail to note for some odd reason.  I guess because its fairly wide, with rather large treadles.  the green-wheeled pro version of the suzi has great inertia and will spin ridiculously fast.  Oh, and as with all majacrafts, the delta orifice RAWKS!  I have been spoiled by an orifice you don't constantly have to thread.  And I've never done so, but if you want add-ins to your yarns, you don't need to do any coaxing through teensy orifices.  you just let er fly! 

Cons:
The bobbins could be bigger, but I guess thats always a complaint.  If you don't screw in the bobbin nice and tight it will go shooting off when you really get going on it.  the sliding flyer hook that regulates where your yarn will go on the bobbin is slightly annoying because yarn will sometimes get caught in it, but I understand that you can get other hooks that won't snag.  since its not my wheel i haven't done so, but If I owned it I definitely would!  The orifice height is also slightly adjustable, but again the delta orifice makes that point moot.

Reccommend?
Totally!  Its an awesome wheel.  Its on the expensive side ($625 for the pro version--at least i would consider it expensive), but I think it would be worth every penny.

Additional Comments:
I only wish it were mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darumah
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007 09:38:56 AM »

Since my wheel didn't make the list I thought that I would add it.

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Ashford Traveler

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Double

PROS:
When I was shopping for a wheel my main criteria was that it be portable which it is. The Traveler is larger than the Joy which I was originally looking at, but it is also much easier to use and expand. Ashford offers several accessories to this wheel so it is easy to upgrade to suit your spinning needs. The wheel is very light and easily fits in my car for traveling.

CONS:
The bobbins are small, too small for me so I am saving to upgrade to the jumbo flyer. I have heard so negative comments about the flyer being slightly to the left instead of in the center, but this really doesn't bother me.

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
I think this is a great wheel for a spinner at any level. It isn't too expensive and the upgrades allow you to customize the wheel for your uses.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I did have some trouble putting the wheel together initially. It ended up needing a metric tool that it didn't come with and I had to borrow one which took an extra day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 07:11:35 AM »

TYPE OF WHEEL:
Louet S10

SINGE OR DOUBLE TREADLE:
Single

PROS:
This is a great wheel, that is not too large and has a very nice balance. I love that I can position the wheel and it doesn't move until I start treadling. I have an older version so my flyer is techincally a jumbo which makes the capacity huge and the orifice nice and large for spinning novelty yarn. I like the way the tension knob is set up and I find it easy to switch tension while spinning. Over all I think this is a great wheel.

CONS:
This is definitely not a portable wheel, weighing in at almost 18 lbs it's a bit of a pain to strap in the car. Treadling takes some practice, which may be because I'm used to DT wheels. The Louet isn't the best for spinning super fine, but with some finesse you can make it work.

WOULD YOU RECCOMEND:
I love this wheel, I bought it used so it needs a bit of TLC but overall I think this is a great investment for a spinner that wants a professional grade wheel without spending a ton of money. I would highly reccomend it to a spinner that knows they want to spin a variety of different yarns but maybe not to spinner that likes to create fine yarns only.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
The large odd wheel that the Louet S10 is begging for some sort of decoration, so unless your taste is modern/deco I would think about how you would plan to enhance the aesthetic of the wheel.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Heidi Braid Aka Goddess or Renaissance Braid
How to Do a Twist Braid or Rope Braid
How to Do a French Braided Bang
How to Do a Braid Like Drew Barrymore
How to Do a Fishtail French Braid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...