A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: clapotis, clapotis... how i hate you so.  (Read 4122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ellie.henry
« on: March 14, 2007 10:19:34 PM »

does anyone else whom is knitting the dear clapotis want to....

1. break your needles
2. burn your yarn
3. poke out eyes with needles?!

I am just struggling with it's rediculousness.... but alas, it comes along, and i will keep going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
JBoudreau
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007 05:52:22 AM »

Well, I've never made a Clapotis, but when projects annoy me, I threaten to throw them out in our driveway and run them over with the car.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shae16
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007 05:56:12 AM »

I've been working on mine off and on since October.  I just get bored, and then I put it away.  I am still on the straight row repeats with about 7 more repeats to go...but yet I continue on...I actually can't wait for mine to be done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007 07:14:32 AM »

i LOVED making mine! i loved how mindless it is and how it can be made with any yarn and be made larger or smaller to suit the knitter's taste.

i think it's a great project. BUT i did want to break my needles when i started it bc i was using straights and it became this nasty, heavy lump at the end of my needle and that was pissing me off. then i switched to long cord circs (KP Options) and it went much smoother from there!

if you're using straights for this project.. definitely move it to circs.

i also hated the stitch markers, but someone here told me to use those teeny tiny ouchless hair elastics instead and i did, they're amazing! it's all i use now!

good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
rorosity
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007 07:54:15 AM »

I started one and got about 1/4 of the way into it, then ripped it out.  I wasn't happy with the yarn I was using and, on top of it all, I forgot what row I was on and just got frustrated.  I did buy some new yarn for a Clapotis that has some silk in it, so I may start again soon.  My least favorite thing is keeping track of rows.  I am really bad at that.

Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007 08:01:19 AM »

I have a love/hate thing going with the pattern.  I LOVE the final result -- suits me, my fluxuating weight, and my penchant for varigated yarns.  I get fed up with the work because it is repetitive enough to bore me, while still demanding a level of attention that limits my ability to enjoy distractions. 

My solution: no deadlines!  I pick it up, do as much as suits me, then feel free to put it down and ignor it for awhile.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007 10:33:58 AM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
DAME EMMA

Feel the fear and do it anyway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007 08:06:01 AM »

If the markers are bugging you, just purl the stitch that's going to be dropped later. That way you can see it, you can tell if you screw up, but there aren't 47 million little thingamajiggers to drive you insane.
Also, I knit mine in a heavier gauge, so I felt free to skip a couple of repeats. It still turned out freakin' huge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raychie
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007 08:48:22 AM »

I've made two.

The first one was with this really...frustrating...boucle. The dropped stitches had to be practically ripped out in order to drop. Plus, you can't see any stitch definition at all, so you don't know if you're looking at the right side or the wrong side. It's huge. It's warm, but it took WAY too long to make. I think it took like 4 months to make.

The second one is with the best yarn ever. I love it. I wanted it to be done. I just wanted it! I worked non-stop every day on it. I would only stop to eat and go to the bathroom. I would stay up til like 1 AM working on it. I knitted and knitted and knitted. The stitches were much easier to drop. The straight rows weren't too boring. I got it done in 5 days.

So, it's really what you make of it. If you love the yarn, it's worth every mind-numbingly boring minute. If you hate the yarn, it probably won't be a good experience!

Even with my 2nd one, it did get really boring and I did want to quit, but I just went ahead and kept trucking through it!

You can do it! I promise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007 08:59:30 AM »

if you keep losing count of your rows, a knitting register like the one by clover is a good thing to use.

i used a register for mine and i used it to count the 12 row repeats setting it back to 00 when i finished row 12. it helped me keep track of when i'd get to row 8 so i could drop the correct stitch.

and i hated my yarn... it looked so ugly on the ball, i loved the colors but the ball just was hideous. i was pleasantly surprised to find that the colors swirled and striped and merged so nicely in the FO.

i think variegates are great for clapotis b/c it shows off the yarn quite nicely!

and keep going! the FO is a great thing to have around! on cold days i wear it like a scarf, on colder days i wear it as a wrap over my coat for extra warmth, and on warm days i wear it like a wrap to help keep the breeze from freezing me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
ellie.henry
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007 09:35:41 AM »

Cheesy I am glad i am not the only one with idol threats for my knitting needles. I am on my 5th repeat of the increase rows right now, and it is going better. I have ripped it out about 6 times though. I am using a beautiful yarn that I got at a swank knitting shoppe called rasberry explosion! Ha it is a proper weight for the project, but seems to snag easily.

I think I will change to circs as soon as I get to the straight rows!

thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Beef Pho Part 1/2
How to Make Poori Part 2/3
How to Make Poori Part 1/3
How to Make Poori Part 3/3
How to Serve Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...