A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plush House (VERY image heavy - "tutorial" included)  (Read 15080 times)
Tags for this thread: plush , house , ornament , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 14, 2007 12:13:48 PM »

Some good friends of ours just got engaged AND they bought a house and move in on April 1st.  They have a thing for Christmas tree ornaments, so I decided to make them a little congratulations gift for their engagement and their new house by making them a little plush house... ornament Smiley

I had the idea the other night when I went to bed, and layed awake making a list in my head and designing the house and how I would make it and put it together in my head. (my brain never sleeps it seems.)  The next morning I started working on it.  I don't have a pattern to share since it's just a bunch of squares/rectangles with a couple triangles, but I did take a lot of pictures along the way to give you an idea of what I did so I could present a half-tutorial Smiley

Plush House Tutorial

First I cut out the pieces - no bottoms or tops for the square that made up the shape of the house nor the rectangle that made up the garage:

Every little item like the bushes, fireplace, window and door was cut by hand from felt and carefully handsewed on.  No machine on this one!  It's way too small and intricate for my personal sewing machine abilities, anyway.  I'm digging the handmade look that the showing stitches give it, though.

I formed the roofs and then started putting the walls together:

Once I had made the walls and sewn the roofs to the walls, it finally started to look like a house.  But as you can see in this pic, it wasn't holding its nice square angles very well, so I made a miniature cardboard version of the house to insert inside.  It's important to note that even though the cardboard model looks like the house and garage are connected, they're not, and I inserted them separately.

Once the sturdy cardboard inserts were in, I stuffed it with polyfil and then traced on a piece of cardboard the shape of the full bottom. (instead of a separate bottom for both the house and garage.) Theoretically this shape would just be one of the squares that made up the house and the longer rectangular side.  I also cut a felt piece of the same shape to form the final bottom:

I sandwiched the cardboard between the bottom of the freshly-stuffed house and the white bottom felt piece and sewed up around the entire bottom edge:

And voila!  I forgot to mention that just before I inserted the cardboard supports in the house that I used embroidery floss to make the hanging loop, and knotted it well inside so it'd not come out.  I chose a spot in the roof that was somewhat centered as far as the entire final piece goes so it'd hang as evenly as possible.  Here are a few shots of it hanging as an ornament:

And that's it!  I hope that our friends like it!  Smiley  The cardboard inserts and polyfil really makes it sturdy and hold its shape well.  I'm really happy with it! Smiley

I know this isn't a real "tutorial", but if you do decide to make your own plush houses, I'd love to see them!  If anything wasn't clear or you need further instruction, just let me know! Smiley

Thanks for looking
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007 12:18:13 PM by toque » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
craftymumto2
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007 12:16:52 PM »

That is   tooo cute, I bet they  will love it  I have an  inprgress job of making  Some  lil  hourses  for my  daughter  that  are  cut out  but I just  havent  seemed to  get  in to sewing them  together  lol 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dollmoth
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007 12:19:31 PM »

That is so sweet of you, and it looks great too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007 12:33:38 PM »

oh I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007 12:44:02 PM »

thanks everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Odd Dotty
Dollymaker and Crafter Ordinaire

Hi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007 01:02:48 PM »

I love it! You are so clever! I wish I would have thought of this when we moved into our new house as we have a tradition of getting a new ornament every year that somehow relates to what the past year has meant to us.

I do have a question, is there a bit of stuffing underneath all the little bits. Like the window, door, bush and fireplace? They look as though they puff out a little, but I can't tell if I am imagining that or not.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 01:18:13 PM »

That's really cute!
And the tutorial look great.  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007 01:58:42 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

Odd Dotty: the door/windows and stuff look a little puffy probably because they're pretty thick - the house walls are made of felt, then there's a layer of door frame/window frame/bushes accent green and then on top of that there's another layer of felt for the door/window/lighter bush green, if that makes sense.  No stuffing under them, just lots of felt layers!  It did give me the idea that next time I should do the bushes like that purposefully so that they're all "roundish" and stick out like real bushes Wink  Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MariskaLovesCrafts
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007 03:02:00 PM »

That is a great gift, very original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bellarosa
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007 06:58:11 PM »

That house it awesome!  I a so inspired!  I just bought a bunch of felt to use for needle cases, but now I might have to go back for more...And I think your Tutorial was great.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Maybe imagination is only intelligence having fun"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Sauteed Ginger Shrimp
How to Make Your Own Dumplings
How to Make a Squab Lettuce Wrap
Beijing Chicken Recipe
How to Make Indian Chai
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...