A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,433
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a bird's nest  (Read 3986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2007 08:01:28 PM »

A friend of my husbands has a little girl who is turning one next week and we are invited to her party. My DH asked me to make something and this is what I came up with.

the nest by itself
[/img] I
  sewed felt leaves to it and left all my ends hanging out so it looked more nest-like
and to give you an idea of the size of the bird

I was excited about how they turned out but when I showed my sister she didn't seem very impressed. What are your thoughts? Any Ideas to make them better? I thought maybe I could sew little eggs to put the baby birds inside so they could hatch. I also thought about making little worms, but I'm concerned they would pose a choking hazard. Comments, criticisms?
By the way, I feel I need to give credit where credit is due, I was inspired by this awesome post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46019.0

Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007 08:31:41 PM »

I can not believe that your sister was unimpressed. This is adorable. I would love for my child to recieve such a wonderful gift (if I had I child, which I don't, YET). I think you should save the eggs with birds for Easter or at least a later spring related gift. It would be a teaching gift that keeps giving that way, and would get played with for longer. You could wait on the worms until she gets a bit older. Maybe some cute needle felted worms with faces. I think you have a real winner here. Don't let your sis disuade you! So cute!

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007 09:07:25 PM »

that is totally awesome,even my grandie joesph 3,absolutely loves it,now he wants one,i would not know where to begin.
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Atticus Finch

Saving my sanity, one crafty day at a time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007 09:15:18 PM »

I think they are beautiful just as they are!

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007 10:22:57 PM »

You have made a beautiful and precious gift.  My advice would be that you don't change a thing.

Remember that little ones are often much smarter than "wise" adults!  [But... we craftsters also have the hearts and eyes of children - so our advice should count on this!]

My boys are 4 and 6 now, and are still playing with the stuffed animal "guys" (as we call them) that they got as gifts when they were very small.

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007 10:31:15 PM »

I really really like it.  I have a one year old daughter, and I think she'd really enjoy playing with it.  And my boys (3&4) would love it as well.  I think it's great.  Don't change a thing!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007 10:50:19 PM »

gosh this is great! i have a friend that would absolutely adore such a beautiful item Smiley

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!

Kitsch Kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007 04:50:40 AM »

Your sister is obviously blind- this is the coolest toy EVER!
I love it the way it is, but if you feel you should add something to it I like the hatching-egg idea. I would have adored this as a child (actually, still would! haha)
Great work, you don't need to change a thing!

[Rhymes with orange.]

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007 04:53:32 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the nice feedback. I definately feel better about giving them away.

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007 06:06:02 AM »

That is so beautiful, what a lovely gift! Even if the parents think the little girl is too young to play with it (some 1 year-olds are really into chewing things!), it will still look great in her room until she's a bit older. Eggs for the babies to hatch out of would definitely add to the play value too.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Steamed Dumplings
How to Order Chinese Food in Chinese
All About Sushi
Which Sushi to Try for the First Time
Chinese Style Cooking Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...