A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Cablenet socks? along?  (Read 5788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2007 07:39:14 PM »

Knitty:

Here's the pattern
http://www.knitty.com/issuefall06/PATTcablenet.html

and I really hunger for it, and I have the yarn and everything... but I've never knitted socks before Cheesy I tend to want to go for something not-too-easy for first attempts, because otherwise I get bored and never pick it up again...

But I'm a bit insecure, both about socks and about parts of knitting I haven't run into before. So does anyone want join in some trial and horror? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
madgirl66
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007 08:08:16 PM »

trial and horror

"Trial and horror"...
Hehehehe...that's awesome. Sounds like the way I start most of my creative endeavors Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Could you tell me...why you got a dead man with an arm missing in your boot?
   Hey, George...is that a tea cosy on his head?
~Snatch

Simon: How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: ...If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
~Firefly
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 03:45:16 PM »

So five months later, I started... Wink

You can't see the cables properly, which is a bit annoying... I'm using too large needles for them to tense up and behave. Maybe they'll get better or maybe blocking will make it show.

But it's an interesting pattern, first time I've done something like this. And first time reading a graph Grin

I'm only six rows into the actual cables, the rest is ribbing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007 03:45:54 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
mrgrita
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 03:30:41 PM »

It's been 6 months, how's it going? 
I started these this past weekend and boy-o do they give me hand cramps!
I like the way the cables are done:)
~m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 03:45:53 AM »

I got disheartened and started doing something else, because the cables barely show up on my multi-colored yarn... lovely yarn, not the best use for it Sad
Hopefully I'll get around to doing this project with some hand-dyed merino instead Cheesy

You got any pictures to show, to give me a push? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrgrita
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 07:44:43 AM »

Well I've only gotten through 18rows and I'm feeling the same way.  Maybe frog and go for lace.  I'm gonna give it at least another 18though to see if the larger pattern starts looking like something.  I shoulda picked a simple off-white or something:/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008 04:10:22 AM »

Yours look very cosy Smiley The cables show up better on yours than on mine, but a firmer yarn would probably have it show up even more. I tend to love soft yarns, and the 3d-patterns never show up as well as I'd like  Undecided
Yours is a bit multicolored too, isn't it, or is that just the photo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008 08:36:30 AM »

I've been really interested in these socks, too.  However, I'm a crazy-loose knitter apparently.  I'm currently knitting a pair of socks with 2mm needles, Paton's Sox yarn, and 48 stitches!  I tried to cast on for, um, I forget.  Another Knitty pattern, and it was waaay too big.  So things that require a certain number of stitches make me nervous.  I suppose I could always start and see. 

I also prefer to knit socks from the toe up... I imagine I could do that with these socks, so maybe I'll give it a go.   I'll just finish up this other pink sock here and get back to you... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008 10:40:20 PM »

I've been really interested in these socks, too.  However, I'm a crazy-loose knitter apparently.  I'm currently knitting a pair of socks with 2mm needles, Paton's Sox yarn, and 48 stitches!  I tried to cast on for, um, I forget.  Another Knitty pattern, and it was waaay too big.  So things that require a certain number of stitches make me nervous.  I suppose I could always start and see. 

I also prefer to knit socks from the toe up... I imagine I could do that with these socks, so maybe I'll give it a go.   I'll just finish up this other pink sock here and get back to you... 

The pattern has nice instructions for adapting the gauge so knit a swatch and do some math?

I cast on today out of boredom. Since itty bitty needles aren't my thing, and my feet are freakin' huge, I'm working with a light worsted on size 4s (and making size B). I'm making a few changes other than gauge too, namely making them shorter so I don't have to figure out how to alter them for larger legs. I worked a tubular cast on and 3 ribbing rows for a total of 7 rows of rib and plan on 2 repeats of the cable pattern for the leg before diving into the heel. Which heel I do will depend on how I feel about the cables when I get there.  Grin

Assuming I finish it and it fits I'll make the mate and have some squishy socks for lounging around the house in at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008 05:11:59 PM »

Okay, here I go!  I finished up my pink socks this afternoon and tonight I cast on for cablenet in a bright electric lime green.  Bernat Sox.  Fantastic colour for spring.  I'm knitting the smallest size.  I'm glad Tephra pointed out the info in the pattern about guage and subbing.  I love it when patterns do that!  I'm still a bit nervous about knitting math... I have trouble trusting that it will actually work out.  I'll see in this case.  I sure hope it works!

I'm also plunging in fearlessly, knitting these as my first top-down socks (other than a pair of slipper socks I made for a swap a couple of years ago), and my first swing at DPNs for socks, as well.  I did a long-tail cast on and I've got 8 rounds of ribbing done.  I'd love to do more tonight, but the kids have been mighty sick and I'm beat... so I'll give it another kick at the can tomorrow.  I'm excited to try the cables.  I read the how-to's, but I'm one who must do to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008 11:31:52 AM »

Sounds brilliant Smiley Making me hungry for this pattern again... Hopefully I'll get around to dyeing some of my merino some fun color and make these! Man, I have too many crafts to do... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008 08:28:06 PM »

I don't think I've ever had a project that turned me off as much as this one, and I can't figure why I'm so Tongue about knitting it. I'm two rows into the (cabled) heel flap and I just can't seem to get the enthusiasm together to work on it. Part of it might be the yarn, it doesn't like being shuffled around and untwists and gets splitty on me. More likely is the lack of "resting rows", every row has crossings and it's just a never ending push to knit.

I really doubt I'd be that interested in knitting the second and incompleteness bugs me. I may just frog and find another project to occupy me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008 01:01:11 PM »

I hear you.  I'm almost done the first pattern repeat on the first sock.  Not very far.  And already Im unenthused.  It takes soooo long.  It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't crossings in every single row.  I just can't seem to get into the rhythm of this project.  I've set it aside while I work on a cardigan from IK, and maybe I'll have another go at them.  These socks are defintiely not t.v. knitting, nor can I get anything done on them while keeping a half and eye on the kids.  I just dont' have enough quiet solitidude to devote the time necessary to "get into" these socks.  I feel like I'm reading THE NAME OF THE ROSE all over again.  glad I'm not alone.  I was feeling bad about my feelings for these beautiful socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008 04:59:19 PM »

I hear you.  I'm almost done the first pattern repeat on the first sock.  Not very far.  And already Im unenthused.  It takes soooo long.  It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't crossings in every single row.  I just can't seem to get into the rhythm of this project.  I've set it aside while I work on a cardigan from IK, and maybe I'll have another go at them.  These socks are defintiely not t.v. knitting, nor can I get anything done on them while keeping a half and eye on the kids.  I just dont' have enough quiet solitidude to devote the time necessary to "get into" these socks.  I feel like I'm reading THE NAME OF THE ROSE all over again.  glad I'm not alone.  I was feeling bad about my feelings for these beautiful socks.

I only did one repeat before heading into the heel. With the change in gauge one repeat was 2 inches. I'd probably have to shorten the heel flap and then the gusset would get complicated. I'm heading to the frog pond with this.

They are gorgeous socks. I'm just not the sort of knitter than can do them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008 08:05:20 AM »

I've restarted with my home dyed knitpicks merino! It's turning up really well, and will probably show even better once I block it. This is quite a nice knit with a plain colored yarn!  It's a bit darker red than the photo, my camera just tries to adjust for the darkness Roll Eyes

First repeat of first chart done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008 06:53:13 AM »

Gotten a step or two more now... Cheesy Sometimes the chart didn't make sense, but I winged it when they didn't add up around the gusset/heel flap.

Only did three repeats instead of four (partially 'cause the boy said it'd look better, silly me for asking him...) so now they're looking a bit stubby. Doesn't show as much in the pic 'cause I cut most part of my leg out. Wink I'm afraid the leg is gonna end up being shorter than the rest of the foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008 08:58:34 AM »

Gotten a step or two more now... Cheesy Sometimes the chart didn't make sense, but I winged it when they didn't add up around the gusset/heel flap.

It looks awesome.  Shocked  If I didn't still remember how much I hated knitting them the time I tried I'd give them another go.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008 10:09:24 AM »

Thank you Cheesy
You should try doing it with a better yarn. Mine is pretty "hard" merino (knitpicks's 100% merino, fingering weight or whatever they called it), and it's really cooperative. I hated this pattern even with my previous hard yarn, just 'cause it was so hard to see, but with this yarn... it's really a nice knit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008 12:32:34 PM »

Hmm, maybe. I'm not much of a sock knitter to start with so I don't know. At the moment I'm working on a cabled sweater so I'm trying not to start new things. (Which of course means I have two swatches and a pair of fingerless mitts on the needles because I can't do just one thing....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008 12:41:15 PM »

hehehe good luck with that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008 04:15:58 PM »

One sock done! Leg is too short making it look chubby, and the toe is half a mile long... doesn't actually show on the pic, but it shows in real life. Note to self: Never listen to boyfriend, he has no idea what he's talking about even when he's very sure.

But! Here are some very low quality pics!

I might just make a second sock to go with the first Cheesy

-edit-
Ok, in the second pic there's two socks on the floor... it looks weird removing two socks to try on just the one! But it's jumping between boiling hot and fairly cool in here, so I took of the socks earlier Wink I'm not trying to wear the sock on both feet at once! Neither am I trying to figure out whether it's a left sock or a right sock Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008 04:18:05 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrgrita
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008 08:21:52 AM »

oh it's beautiful!

I wish I hadn't frogged mine now:/
~m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008 06:27:56 AM »

You can always start over Cheesy Once you learn how to "see" the pattern it's really quite a relaxed knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008 08:19:46 AM »

The chart has lines to separate the sections that don't get repeated all the way around.  On the right is for the beginning of the round only, on the left is for the parts in between repeats (i,e, in the round it's repeated multiple times, when knitting for the foot or heel, it's only repeated once or twice), then you end with what's been instructed for that round.

I'm finishing up my first sock and part-way through my second (I started on US 2 because I'm making them taller, then I switched to US 1 on the repeat before the heel)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008 02:53:26 PM »

Show us progress pics! Cheesy

I've finally started my second sock, and knit sometimes on the train to work... I get about two rounds per day done that way, so I haven't gotten very far! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008 10:54:28 PM »

I miss the old auto-photobucket widget.

Sock 1's pic is too big. Tongue

I need to rip back & re-do the toe (it's what I get for following the directions too literally--bad fit).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008 02:11:25 AM »

God I love your yarn! Your socks are looking great Cheesy I adore blue but somehow I never manage to knit anything blue for myself...

I need to frog the toe as well but I'm leaving it with the "first sock ever made" excuse... Tongue It's not a bad fit as such, but it's like 3 inches long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008 05:52:26 AM »

I love that color blue, too!

The widget is still around; it's just a pop up instead of in the window (under the reply box, there's a link).  Not quite as nice as having it right next to the post, I admit, but at least I don't have to try to remember how to add an image properly.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008 01:20:30 PM »

It's Regia 4-ply, colorway 614.

Thanks for the heads up on the new widget location! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009 01:13:49 PM »

I am DONE, and here's a pic of even lower quality than last time Smiley

The one that's all scrunched up is unblocked, it got a bit better when it I blocked it, but not perfect. They're both too large, in spite of calculating the sizes... I felted them a bit and haven't dared to try them on again so I'm not sure if they fit Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cabin Fever
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009 11:03:59 PM »

I think I am going to have to try this pattern. I'm new to knitting, new to socks, but they are addictive.  I've been looking for a more detailed pattern, and I think this is it.  Now I just need to find the right yarn.  Glad you guys have already been at this and have suggested which yarns not to use.  I'm sure I'll be needing help.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Hair Color in Photoshop
Photoshop Tutorial - How to Increase Contrast
Photoshop Tutorial - Remove Color
Photoshop Tools and Menus Tutorial
Free Backgrounds and Royalty Free Images
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...