A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Cablenet socks? along?  (Read 6539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2007 07:39:14 PM »

Knitty:

Here's the pattern
http://www.knitty.com/issuefall06/PATTcablenet.html

and I really hunger for it, and I have the yarn and everything... but I've never knitted socks before Cheesy I tend to want to go for something not-too-easy for first attempts, because otherwise I get bored and never pick it up again...

But I'm a bit insecure, both about socks and about parts of knitting I haven't run into before. So does anyone want join in some trial and horror? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
madgirl66
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007 08:08:16 PM »

trial and horror

"Trial and horror"...
Hehehehe...that's awesome. Sounds like the way I start most of my creative endeavors Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Could you tell me...why you got a dead man with an arm missing in your boot?
   Hey, George...is that a tea cosy on his head?
~Snatch

Simon: How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: ...If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
~Firefly
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 03:45:16 PM »

So five months later, I started... Wink

You can't see the cables properly, which is a bit annoying... I'm using too large needles for them to tense up and behave. Maybe they'll get better or maybe blocking will make it show.

But it's an interesting pattern, first time I've done something like this. And first time reading a graph Grin

I'm only six rows into the actual cables, the rest is ribbing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007 03:45:54 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
mrgrita
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 03:30:41 PM »

It's been 6 months, how's it going? 
I started these this past weekend and boy-o do they give me hand cramps!
I like the way the cables are done:)
~m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 03:45:53 AM »

I got disheartened and started doing something else, because the cables barely show up on my multi-colored yarn... lovely yarn, not the best use for it Sad
Hopefully I'll get around to doing this project with some hand-dyed merino instead Cheesy

You got any pictures to show, to give me a push? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrgrita
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 07:44:43 AM »

Well I've only gotten through 18rows and I'm feeling the same way.  Maybe frog and go for lace.  I'm gonna give it at least another 18though to see if the larger pattern starts looking like something.  I shoulda picked a simple off-white or something:/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008 04:10:22 AM »

Yours look very cosy Smiley The cables show up better on yours than on mine, but a firmer yarn would probably have it show up even more. I tend to love soft yarns, and the 3d-patterns never show up as well as I'd like  Undecided
Yours is a bit multicolored too, isn't it, or is that just the photo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008 08:36:30 AM »

I've been really interested in these socks, too.  However, I'm a crazy-loose knitter apparently.  I'm currently knitting a pair of socks with 2mm needles, Paton's Sox yarn, and 48 stitches!  I tried to cast on for, um, I forget.  Another Knitty pattern, and it was waaay too big.  So things that require a certain number of stitches make me nervous.  I suppose I could always start and see. 

I also prefer to knit socks from the toe up... I imagine I could do that with these socks, so maybe I'll give it a go.   I'll just finish up this other pink sock here and get back to you... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008 10:40:20 PM »

I've been really interested in these socks, too.  However, I'm a crazy-loose knitter apparently.  I'm currently knitting a pair of socks with 2mm needles, Paton's Sox yarn, and 48 stitches!  I tried to cast on for, um, I forget.  Another Knitty pattern, and it was waaay too big.  So things that require a certain number of stitches make me nervous.  I suppose I could always start and see. 

I also prefer to knit socks from the toe up... I imagine I could do that with these socks, so maybe I'll give it a go.   I'll just finish up this other pink sock here and get back to you... 

The pattern has nice instructions for adapting the gauge so knit a swatch and do some math?

I cast on today out of boredom. Since itty bitty needles aren't my thing, and my feet are freakin' huge, I'm working with a light worsted on size 4s (and making size B). I'm making a few changes other than gauge too, namely making them shorter so I don't have to figure out how to alter them for larger legs. I worked a tubular cast on and 3 ribbing rows for a total of 7 rows of rib and plan on 2 repeats of the cable pattern for the leg before diving into the heel. Which heel I do will depend on how I feel about the cables when I get there.  Grin

Assuming I finish it and it fits I'll make the mate and have some squishy socks for lounging around the house in at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008 05:11:59 PM »

Okay, here I go!  I finished up my pink socks this afternoon and tonight I cast on for cablenet in a bright electric lime green.  Bernat Sox.  Fantastic colour for spring.  I'm knitting the smallest size.  I'm glad Tephra pointed out the info in the pattern about guage and subbing.  I love it when patterns do that!  I'm still a bit nervous about knitting math... I have trouble trusting that it will actually work out.  I'll see in this case.  I sure hope it works!

I'm also plunging in fearlessly, knitting these as my first top-down socks (other than a pair of slipper socks I made for a swap a couple of years ago), and my first swing at DPNs for socks, as well.  I did a long-tail cast on and I've got 8 rounds of ribbing done.  I'd love to do more tonight, but the kids have been mighty sick and I'm beat... so I'll give it another kick at the can tomorrow.  I'm excited to try the cables.  I read the how-to's, but I'm one who must do to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sony Vegas tutorial: How to make 2 or more clones
How to Find Recent Files in Photoshop
Invert Adjustment Layer-Make a Color Infra Red Effect Action
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Kick it Off #4 - Setting Type Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...