A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My skin hates me. Any suggestions?  (Read 2205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: March 13, 2007 02:50:20 PM »

So lately my skin has decided that it hates me and is scaling a full fledged assault in the form of eczema (on my thighs) and heat rash all over, in addition to my usual dry skin.  It's nothing serious enough to warrant a trip to the dermatologist, but I was wondering if any of you have any tips on dealing with all the itchyness.  Maybe something I could put on it or put in a bath to soak in?

Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007 02:56:51 PM »

For moisturising -
Try adding some milk to your bath - powdered or liquid (I always used liquid, but apparently powdered is fine too). I used about a litre of milk to a tub.
Another option is a cup or so of bicarbonate of soda.

Lavender oil is a mild antiseptic and may help ease the pain (but don't apply it neat or you could be ill). Honey is better, but messier! And if you live near the beach, nothing beats saltwater - my boyfriend used to get dire heat rash, and the only thing that helped was regular dips in seawater.

Hope some of these might help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007 04:23:32 PM »

Thank you, aphie. Smiley  I'll have to try out a milk or baking soda bath.

I wish I live near the beach.  I used to be about 10 min for it, but now it's a couple hour dive to anywhere you'd want to go swimming.  Poop. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amused
earthbound misfit

I can fly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007 06:32:12 PM »

Oatmeal!
The whole Aveeno line is based on it, they sell an oatmeal bath but from what I can tell it's just powdered oatmeal.
Whizz some in a food processor or a coffee grinder so that it'll go down the drain easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bemaha
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007 10:37:53 PM »

Yessssss, oatmeal would be best. If you have a little muslin bag or some cheesecloth, you can put the ground oatmeal in that and not deal with clumps in your tub. Oh, also, don't use super hot water. Probably pretty obvious when you have a heat rash but I've heard of people doing stranger things  Grin

If you have access to essential oils, some olive oil and a couple drops of lavender might also help. Have you discussed the possibility of allergies with a naturopathic doctor or nutritionist? I suffered for nearly a year with eczema, psoriasis, fungal infections, and a host of other rashes (couldn't touch cardboard without breaking out and getting itchy) before figuring out that I needed to stop consuming wheat and refined sugar. It was tough but I stopped eating those things and everything cleared up within a month. Bonus: I lost 50 lbs.

Good luck. There's nothing quite as frustrating as suffering from skin stuff. I hope you find relief at least long enough to get some sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007 11:10:17 PM »

i definately feel your pain...arizona hot and sticky= itchy legs and arms. i love oatmeal baths like ^ they said. OTC cortisone cream works too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 12:03:18 AM »

Oatmeal, eh?  When I was little and had the chicken pox, my mom gave me an oatmeal bath.  She put it into the foot of a stocking that she had cut off and tied the end shut.  It worked pretty well.

So oatmeal it is.  Between that and the milk, I'll practically have breakfast in my tub! Grin

Thanks so much, ladies.  I appreciate all you suggestions and sympathy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 03:10:32 PM »

Practically every lotion on the shelf has alcohol in it (what!?) so I only use Eucerin, prescription cortisone cream, pure vitamin e oil (look near the vitamin supplements), or lanolin on my skin. Also, I know you said you didn't want to go to the dermo, but my doctor gave me a shot of cortisone and it was like magic. It was really cheap too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007 03:19:31 PM »

go to walmart in the  hair care isle and get teh  cake form of  cocoa butter.... works  wonders .... and  the  Aveeno  as  mentioned  earlier  is  fabulous!....oh adn in the  cosmeticwws  area  of  walmart tehy  have  something  called  SKIN MILK  that  is  good.... or  same  area  the EQUATE  brand BODY OIL...its  near the  nuetragina brand just  half the  price.....any of those  will do the  trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
miasu
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007 06:21:11 PM »

Yessssss, oatmeal would be best. If you have a little muslin bag or some cheesecloth, you can put the ground oatmeal in that and not deal with clumps in your tub. Oh, also, don't use super hot water. Probably pretty obvious when you have a heat rash but I've heard of people doing stranger things  Grin

If you don't have muslim bags or cheesecloths hanging around, you can use old panyhose. Just cut off a bit and make sure there are no openings and just put the oatmeal in that. I have used it unground it it works as well. Also, try rubbing it directly on your skin (while still in bag), it feels super slick and good. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Candy Cane Reindeer
Artist Creates Famous Images on Morning Breakfast
Affordable Wall Artwork
Artist Hong Yi Explains Her Flower Portraits
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...