A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My skin hates me. Any suggestions?  (Read 2052 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: March 13, 2007 02:50:20 PM »

So lately my skin has decided that it hates me and is scaling a full fledged assault in the form of eczema (on my thighs) and heat rash all over, in addition to my usual dry skin.  It's nothing serious enough to warrant a trip to the dermatologist, but I was wondering if any of you have any tips on dealing with all the itchyness.  Maybe something I could put on it or put in a bath to soak in?

Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007 02:56:51 PM »

For moisturising -
Try adding some milk to your bath - powdered or liquid (I always used liquid, but apparently powdered is fine too). I used about a litre of milk to a tub.
Another option is a cup or so of bicarbonate of soda.

Lavender oil is a mild antiseptic and may help ease the pain (but don't apply it neat or you could be ill). Honey is better, but messier! And if you live near the beach, nothing beats saltwater - my boyfriend used to get dire heat rash, and the only thing that helped was regular dips in seawater.

Hope some of these might help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007 04:23:32 PM »

Thank you, aphie. Smiley  I'll have to try out a milk or baking soda bath.

I wish I live near the beach.  I used to be about 10 min for it, but now it's a couple hour dive to anywhere you'd want to go swimming.  Poop. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amused
earthbound misfit

I can fly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007 06:32:12 PM »

Oatmeal!
The whole Aveeno line is based on it, they sell an oatmeal bath but from what I can tell it's just powdered oatmeal.
Whizz some in a food processor or a coffee grinder so that it'll go down the drain easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bemaha
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007 10:37:53 PM »

Yessssss, oatmeal would be best. If you have a little muslin bag or some cheesecloth, you can put the ground oatmeal in that and not deal with clumps in your tub. Oh, also, don't use super hot water. Probably pretty obvious when you have a heat rash but I've heard of people doing stranger things  Grin

If you have access to essential oils, some olive oil and a couple drops of lavender might also help. Have you discussed the possibility of allergies with a naturopathic doctor or nutritionist? I suffered for nearly a year with eczema, psoriasis, fungal infections, and a host of other rashes (couldn't touch cardboard without breaking out and getting itchy) before figuring out that I needed to stop consuming wheat and refined sugar. It was tough but I stopped eating those things and everything cleared up within a month. Bonus: I lost 50 lbs.

Good luck. There's nothing quite as frustrating as suffering from skin stuff. I hope you find relief at least long enough to get some sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007 11:10:17 PM »

i definately feel your pain...arizona hot and sticky= itchy legs and arms. i love oatmeal baths like ^ they said. OTC cortisone cream works too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 12:03:18 AM »

Oatmeal, eh?  When I was little and had the chicken pox, my mom gave me an oatmeal bath.  She put it into the foot of a stocking that she had cut off and tied the end shut.  It worked pretty well.

So oatmeal it is.  Between that and the milk, I'll practically have breakfast in my tub! Grin

Thanks so much, ladies.  I appreciate all you suggestions and sympathy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 03:10:32 PM »

Practically every lotion on the shelf has alcohol in it (what!?) so I only use Eucerin, prescription cortisone cream, pure vitamin e oil (look near the vitamin supplements), or lanolin on my skin. Also, I know you said you didn't want to go to the dermo, but my doctor gave me a shot of cortisone and it was like magic. It was really cheap too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007 03:19:31 PM »

go to walmart in the  hair care isle and get teh  cake form of  cocoa butter.... works  wonders .... and  the  Aveeno  as  mentioned  earlier  is  fabulous!....oh adn in the  cosmeticwws  area  of  walmart tehy  have  something  called  SKIN MILK  that  is  good.... or  same  area  the EQUATE  brand BODY OIL...its  near the  nuetragina brand just  half the  price.....any of those  will do the  trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
miasu
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007 06:21:11 PM »

Yessssss, oatmeal would be best. If you have a little muslin bag or some cheesecloth, you can put the ground oatmeal in that and not deal with clumps in your tub. Oh, also, don't use super hot water. Probably pretty obvious when you have a heat rash but I've heard of people doing stranger things  Grin

If you don't have muslim bags or cheesecloths hanging around, you can use old panyhose. Just cut off a bit and make sure there are no openings and just put the oatmeal in that. I have used it unground it it works as well. Also, try rubbing it directly on your skin (while still in bag), it feels super slick and good. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007 05:24:36 PM »

Thanks for all the tips.  The weather's cooled down some, so my heat rash is totally gone and I have the eczema under control with cortisone cream, but I will definitely keep these suggestions in mind for next time.

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007 11:53:35 PM »

I have contact dermititis and get nasty itchy rashes. After being on steroidal prescription creams for years (that the doctor warned me would thin my skin...what??) I found the best remedy is to slightly melt unrefined shea butter and whip with lavender and tea tree oils. This is my cure all rash cream, it's also great for bug bites, I took it to Costa Rica with me last summer, and I ended up leaving the bottle I took with a local who loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007 12:41:01 AM »

maremare312: thanks for the rash creme recipe!  It sounds really great.  I would love to use something natural and homemade.  Is it hypoallergenic?  I'm pretty sensitive to detergents and perfumes. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007 09:58:38 AM »

It definitely does not contain any detergents or perfumes. When I was younger I sometimes had reactions to products with tea tree oil in it, but it may have been a reaction to something else in these products...probably evil mineral oil! Shea butter (especially unrefined) is so wonderful for your skin, however it is comodogenic (sp?) so it is possible that if you used it on your face you could clog your pores and get some acne issues. Lavender is lovely and gentle and useful for all kinds of skin ailments. There are different varieties, and I am not a big fan of the scent of lavender (love it's healing properties!) but I find for me that Bulgarian lavender is less medicinal smelling than 40/42, and my favorite is Provence, it smells kind of like honey, I think it's more spendy though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007 11:19:45 AM »

Maremare is right on the money.

Shea butter (best if unrefined) is great for healing skin. I get mine "fresh off the boat" from this place... http://www.agbangakarite.com/

Another thing to try is olive oil (again..unrefined is best).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's a real burn, being right so often" - Malcomb Reynolds

Some of my illustrations:
http://www.dreamstime.com/easystreet_portfolio_pg1
My greeting card store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/easystreet
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007 04:03:37 PM »

Bya~have you ever used olive butter? Sigh, there are so many wonderful oils and butters out there that I want to try. My fave supplier is running a pre-buy on sweet almond butter, she said it's fabulous .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007 04:57:56 PM »

Not yet, but I also buy from here ...

www.oilsbynature.com

and they have a fabulous new line of butters. This is where I buy my Jojoba oil.

I just need a raise before I can buy them!!! LOL

FYI: Avacado oil is also very kind to your skin. Especially if you are over 40!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My greeting card store:
anaoly
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007 05:06:58 PM »

Hello Cinnamon
To me the best remedy is to eat almonds and some omega 3 oil in the morning and that has help me a great deal, since my skin is dark I use to say that it was like a blackboard...... lol... you could almost write on it!!!
So to me instead of doing it from outside in, it work best to eat some oils and now my skin is much better

HTH

Blessings
Anaoly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007 05:23:48 PM »

Oh yeah, omega 3 oils are good to take for sure.  I take evening primrose and cod liver oils in capsules for my icky dermatitis.  I agree too that those oatmeal baths are great and that you should stay moisturised too.  My dermatologist told me to use the cheapest creams with the fewest ingredients, namely aqueous cream or sorbolene (not very glam I know).  He said they are least complicated and so don't contain any nasties and warned me not to get suckered in by the whole 'all natural' tag (weird right?).  Obviously natural is always preferable, but apparently just because something is naturally occurring, doesn't automatically make it good for you (and just 'cause something is chemical doesn't always mean it is harsh).  It is certainly something to think about anyhow.  I definitely read labels more now and don't buy anything with too many ingredients that have long indecipherable names.

Don't use 'real' soap and drink lots of water, it really does make a difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007 06:02:59 PM »

Another vote for omega 3's here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My greeting card store:
aphie
Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007 06:23:24 PM »

Bya~have you ever used olive butter?
I used olive oil on some stretch marks on my tummy at one point - it is WONDERFUL. I have sensitive, oily skin, and I got no breakouts, my skin felt very smooth and soft, and the marks faded in three weeks to almost invisible. (I think that may have also been the rubbing it on though, stimulating the bloodflow)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
johnarae89
the queen of cheesiness

i tend to twinkle

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007 07:38:08 PM »

Bya~have you ever used olive butter?
I used olive oil on some stretch marks on my tummy at one point - it is WONDERFUL. I have sensitive, oily skin, and I got no breakouts, my skin felt very smooth and soft, and the marks faded in three weeks to almost invisible. (I think that may have also been the rubbing it on though, stimulating the bloodflow)

i have icky stretchmarks on my tummy tum tum.. did you just use olive oil. or olive oil butter?.. how many times did you apply it daily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hoper, a prayer, a magic bean buyer. . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some fax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
aphie
Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007 07:49:06 PM »

I applied a handful or so once a day of straight olive oil (bought from a healthfood shop, for cooking in!), and massaged it on/in for about fifteen-twenty minutes.
I would still be surface oily after this, but I'd just wear a bra and low skirt, and allow the oil to soak into my skin. I noticed an improvement after about 6 days.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
johnarae89
the queen of cheesiness

i tend to twinkle

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007 08:07:59 PM »

oh awesome! whats the brand you used?.. just in case that might make a difference lol.. i need to get rid of these bad boys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hoper, a prayer, a magic bean buyer. . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some fax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
aphie
Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007 07:22:09 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't remember the brand! Sad
It was a few years ago now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Crafting Contagious Content with Emotions
Crafting Contagious Content with Stories
How Ayana Mathis Creates Characters With Soul
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...