A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More onion eggs  (Read 208924 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , egg , onion_egg , easter , featured_project , easter_egg , natural_dyeing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eMeN
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2007 10:37:09 AM »

Hahahahaha... that sounds exactly like my kitchen!  I'm glad it worked Smiley  By the way, the yellow will wash off after a good soaking, just make sure you keep your hands away from it because it'll stain your hands too (if it hasn't already).  The cabbage didn't stain half as bad for some reason.

Let's see some pictures! Smiley

Happy Easter, everyone!

Hehehe! My hands did not get stained for som reason.
No pictures, we already eat them. I was too happy that i acutally worked i forgot to take a picture... Hmm.. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peihan17
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2007 10:50:09 AM »

Hehe glad to hear it Smiley

I gave most of mine away... so now I want to make more Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
lemadrid
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2007 01:04:16 PM »

i really love this idea! i tried it my self and mine didn't come out as nice... but they're still lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2007 03:51:17 PM »

I finally did it. They turned out great. I used mostly parsley leaves though because I boiled my onion skins with my eggs at the same time. I think I remembered someone asking if you can use toxic plants for this project. I was going to eat my eggs and didn't if I was boiling them with the eggs and skins at the same time because I don't know if it would contaminate your eggs if they cracked some while boiling or whatever. (I also added vinegar to the water while boiling my eggs to with the skins) 

I used mainly herbs..parsley, something that starts with an F, and I tried basil but that didn't work too well it made just an oval blob like impression. I used a mixture of the brown skins and the purple onion skins. I used white eggs which gave me a good brown color.

My house didn't smell like onions afterward, the skins smelled different like to me sort of a pleasent scent of lemony cleaner or something... when dumping out the water it did stain my counter top and sink though (I let it sit on my top for a bit because I was more excited to get the panty hose off my eggs) but I used one of them freaky Mr. Clean scubing pad things that gets off almost anything, which worked well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
Rhapsodomancy
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2007 05:58:59 PM »

I tried this and here are my results!

I rubbed the eggs with a little oil to make them shine.
I stuck tape on one of the eggs to get those lines; somebody else posted an egg like that a few pages back!

They didn't come out as well as they could have for reasons I'll state further down.  Here are the eggs' 'bad' sides  Undecided
Bad Sides

The flora I used:
Leaves Used

What I learned:

-One of my eggs (not pictured as it was quickly eaten by my mum) exploded a little so next time I'll put a little salt in the pot just in case.  I also kept the eggs boiling for 15 minutes--maybe 10 is better and then salt won't be necessary.

-One of the eggs has a green leaf  Roll Eyes  In order to have light brown imprints, pick greenery that is a bit thicker--no thin leaves!  Pick things that can lay flat (see the random small dots in the 'bad' sides photo...)

-It may help to make the eggs in a smaller pot with less water so that the dye will be more concentrated (not sure about this one but Dad insists...)

-When you've got the egg in the nylon and the top is tied, pull on the top so that the nylon is very snug around the egg.  I think that this will ensure a better imprint and, because the fabric is stretched, the dye will be able to come through better.

-For the egg with the tape: It's better to either stick clear tape on an egg that's not wet and cold or just use the thicker bandage tape.

-Those damn pink expiration stamps!  Next time I think I'll either try washing them off or position the leaves so that they're not covering the stamps.  When done like this, the stamps are almost fully covered by the dye.  All you can see is a faint imprint.

I can't wait to do this next year!  But wait, who needs to wait 'till next year?  I can do this again right now!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007 06:10:34 PM by Rhapsodomancy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsch, please! (a knitting blog) Updated!

You say 'kitschy' like it's a bad thing.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2007 07:06:03 PM »

As a practice run, I tried boiling the eggs without the nylons and flowers/leaves.

I found that the dark color from the onion skins rubbed off. Some of the color actually scraped off as I was taking them out of the pot. So, I scrubbed it off and it still left a nice lighter color underneath, but not as cool as the dark color was. Should I have done something to keep that from happening?

The turmeric also left a "film" on the eggs, which I washed off. They still came out a nice color yellow.

I did beets and purple cabbage, too, but they came out very pale.

I added vinegar to the water, but didn't let them sit overnight (I needed the space that the bowls were taking up, so I had to take them out after a couple of hours). I might try this again, but I'm not sure...if I can get better results, then it's a keeper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2007 07:38:18 PM »

How beautiful everyone's eggs are!!  I tried too, but with an egg dyeing kit that my hubby and I bought five years ago.  I love the results!!  And it was so much fun!  We had a friend come over too, but I wasn't able to take pics of her eggs.

I made three more, but they kinda suck, so I left them out... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2007 07:38:53 PM »

Oooooh bubba!  THOSE are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
peihan17
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2007 07:38:59 PM »

Wow, those eggs are wonderful, rhapsodomancy!  I didn't try shining mine up with vegetable oil because I was giving them out at work and didn't know if they'd get greasy or something  Tongue

I had trouble with getting the fabric tight enough around the egg too... I just used thin fabric instead of pantyhose, which didn't help, haha.

craftADDchick, I noticed that the color can come off while the eggs are still wet too... I read somewhere that people use that to their advantage by sponging them right after to make them more texture-y.  I just took them out carefully with two big spoons *shrug*  Any uneveness I just chalked up to the charm of their naturalness Wink

The tumeric turns out okay after it dries, though I was worried about the film too.  I didn't try beets, but the red cabbage was definitely pale even after 4-5 hours, but after overnight, they came out a very pretty blue.  I had problems with finding enough bowls too  Tongue

I'm definitely going to try this again with all the tips and ideas that people have come up with... just as soon as I finish eating the broken ones  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peihan17
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2007 07:40:37 PM »

Bubba, just saw your eggs, and they are amazing!  I love the color combinations!  Never thought of dying them, and THEN putting leaves on and dying them again.  So cool  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backstage Beauty - Deborah Lippmann Mani Cam
Birchbox and InStyle: How to Get a Holiday Party Makeup Look in 10 Minutes
Birchbox and InStyle: How to Create an Indulgent Home Spa Experience
The Sweetest Scrub for Kissable Lips
Go Matte For Flawless Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...