A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1960s/70s Polyester Squares! Please Help!!!!  (Read 865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oranginaqueen
« on: March 11, 2007 08:50:12 PM »

On one of my thrifting excursions I came across this "thing" of 1960s/70s patterned polyester squares that had been sewn together, similar to a quilt. So, I bought it and I've had it for quite a while unsure of what the heck to do with it. I was thinking of some sort of bag, but I really have no idea what would be a good type of bag to make. Does anybody have any suggestions, or perhaps not even a bag but of some other random idea I haven't thought of??? Thanks!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miserylovesme
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007 09:04:59 PM »

It sounds like it might make an adorable hobo style bag. I have a patchwork hobo that I have carried so much it is a frayed mess. I didn't make it, though. Tinafish posted a great tutorial if you need instructions for a hobo.

Or, if you want something a little easier, you could make a great tote with a square bottom, maybe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oranginaqueen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007 09:19:41 PM »

I was thinking maybe of some kind of bag with an over-the-shoulder strap. Some sort of hippie style bag(similar to a messenger bag but not really) with maybe a fold over flap with a really big button to close it. I have no idea how to make something like that. My sewing skills are lacking. Blah, I just don't know what to do. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to check out that hobo tutorial.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miserylovesme
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007 09:40:40 PM »

How about you modify this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28858646@N00/338363314/in/photostream

Instructions here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32021.msg293251#msg293251

You can make it larger if you want, and easily add a flap. If you like the bag shape and don't know how to add a flap, etc, I can help you out. No problemo. I've made tons of those bags.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007 09:56:23 PM by miserylovesme » THIS ROCKS   Logged

oranginaqueen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007 09:51:10 PM »

OOo. I am liking that. That's very similar to what I think I'd like to do. An over the should bag similar to that(perhaps a little larger), add a flap or maybe just a thinner piece that flaps over and buttons... with big ol' button, and viola! Haha. My boyfriends mom told me to bring the patchwork with me when we come this week and she'd help me make whatever I came up with. You've been super helpful! Thanks so much! I'll keep posted on what I decide/ the end result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007 10:57:56 PM »

don't forget that given enough of them you could make a coat of many colours!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oranginaqueen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 07:31:52 AM »

And 9 months later I STILL have that giant thing of polyester squares....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Fire Island Inspired Meal
Nearly No Fat Fudge Brownies Recipe
How to Make Perfect Pancakes
How to Make Crispy French Toast
How to Make a Basic Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...