A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: five bags made from salvaged vintage dresses  (Read 4298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stephielou
Ohio Uber Alles!

"She ain't no riot grrrl, just a riot"

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2007 06:09:50 PM »

Since I really just used the dresses as fabric, I thought this might go here & not in recon...

These were really fun to make. They were made from dresses which couldn't be worn or sold due to some kind of damage, so they were all designed around how much fabric could be salvaged.

Details...

#1 - This was a dress that I got for $1 at an estate sale. The dress was tiny and had stains all over it, but I fell in love with the fabric so I had to have it! It inspired this whole "collection." I've had the green fabric I used for the lining for about 10 years, I bought a ton of it at the thrift and haven't used it until now.

#2 - The eyelet was a dress that I tried to sell twice with no bidders. The top half of it was kind of matronly (which is why it didn't sell), so I cut it off and made the bottom half into a skirt. This is what was left from the top, plus that trusty green thrifted fabric.

#3 & #4 - This one has an old dress as the lining. I thought it was too obnoxious to use for the outside, but I like it as an accent. The outer fabric for both of this is wool that I inherited from my sister-in-law's mother-in-law (?!). I don't think she's sewn since the 70's, so I'm guessing it's vintage too.

#5 - this & #1 are my favorites. It's hard to see the pleats, but they were part of the dress - it was an accent at the right hip, but just below that was a massive stain. Here's another pic, sorry it's kinda crappy! The color in the first pic is more accurate.

I hope to make more bags from this fabric. It was tricky to work with because it's silk & I cut the back on the bias. I've never worked with bias-cut silk before. Once I stitched on the non-fusable interfacing, it was no problem though.

I'd love to get some feedback on these. They're really the first bags that I've created completely out of my head. As a self-taught sewer, I'd never have been able to figure any of this stuff out without the help my beloved crafsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007 06:12:56 PM »

wow they're gorgeous!  way to go on recycling vintage dresses!  I really like the cut-out handle ones Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
AbbyOzzy

Jack of all Trades (Mistress of None )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007 06:19:16 PM »

Fabulous!!! They are all just beautiful! I have to say that #2 is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
my_idiosyncrasy
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007 06:19:56 PM »

guh, wow! those are superb! I love them all! such a great use of old clothing, that I'm sure look much more flattering as a pattern on a bag than a pattern on a body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007 07:12:22 PM »

Oh wow!  They're all fantastic!  Cheesy

I love #2, and then #1...I know you said you did them w/o a pattern, but would you ever consider doing a tut on the second bag? 

You've done such great work on all of these...just beautiful!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007 07:17:28 PM »

Of course, #1 is my favorite because it is just completely outstanding.  All of them are amazing, and you must have taught yourself to sew a long time ago because you have awesome skills.  Each on of them looks so great and perfect.

P.S.  That's a great idea about the fabric.  I love Estate Sales and I used to go all of the time, but I figured if I had to find room for one more vintage dress I would go insane.  This is a great way to find ann excuse to go to them again.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007 07:20:05 PM »

ooh, ooh #2 & #4 are my faves. i'm gonna have to try that old dress method out sometime! great job!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
stephielou
Ohio Uber Alles!

"She ain't no riot grrrl, just a riot"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007 07:47:34 PM »

I love #2, and then #1...I know you said you did them w/o a pattern, but would you ever consider doing a tut on the second bag? 

Thanks runnermom! I actually do draft patterns for each of these, that way I'm sure I'm cutting the lining to the same shape as the outer fabric. I use tracing paper to figure out the largest possible dimensions I can cut, which makes it fun because I have to figure out how to make that limited area into something interesting.

Regarding #2, and a tute, it's pretty similar to stargirl's cutout handle bag, as are #1 and #3. The major difference, aside from the obvious shape, is that stargirl uses a piece of coordinating scrap fabric to back the cutout, and I just put the lining and outer fabrics right sides together without using another fabric. Does that make sense? So #2 is a cutout handle bag where the cutout is... um... football (?) shaped, then I bind the top with a bias strip cut from the lining fabric. That way the "handle" looks like it's separate, but really it has all the stability of the multiple layers that make up the entire bag. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007 07:53:18 PM »

Another vote for 1 & 2!!!  LOVE them! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
tomatojane
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007 09:35:00 PM »

Taking my two passions, vintage clothes and handbags and combining them is my dream craft! All of them blow me away! Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: How to Make the Perfect Holiday Red Berry Trifle
How to Make Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
How to Make Toasted Coconut Snowball Cupcakes
Homemade Gourmet Fruit and Nut Chocolate Bars
Decorative Christmas Cookie Cottages
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...