A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: coin rings! i'm an addict!!!  (Read 43227 times)
Tags for this thread: ring , craftster_best_of_2007 , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

francis
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2007 06:16:55 PM »

when i was making mine i wasn't quite paying attention so i ended up sizing it to fit my left ring finger (my right one is bigger since i sprained it a few times and it never really went back to normal) but i just wear it anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dnagirl
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Shun the unbeliever..shuuuuu nn....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2007 01:26:22 PM »

My first coin ring!

I'm wearing it on the pointer finger of my right hand. I used a hammer, vice grips, my dremmel, my hubbies power drill and a 1974 quarter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud to be a Beta Sigma Phi!
http://www.iamthysister.com

Don't apologize for your camera or bad photo skills! Learn to do better.
Avril222
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2008 01:54:55 PM »

quick question for everyone who has attemped this:
i started hammering last week and have been doing it in 20 min increments with a US 1961 quarter...how long did it take you to get it hammered out?

also, i know some people asked about a proper drill bit...i used a unibit (like in the tutorial floating around) and it worked amazingly! but, it did cost $35 so if you drill alot like i do it is totally work it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2008 03:25:24 PM »

I did not use a silver quarter like you are, but it took me about 4 hours of hammering to get it to about a size 7. I used a unibit too (yay for free access to the school labs!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
schtickl
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2008 05:35:41 PM »

I really dont get this lol. I checked the tut. Im a little slow today so that may contribute to my dumbness lol. Is the ring made out of an actual coin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5488961
zen-art-gallery.deviantart.com

SoRo Jewelry Design
ragdoll193
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2008 06:21:21 PM »

yup, you hammer the edge (or hit it with a spoon) until it's smooth and about the size of a ring. the edge will flatten out so it's like the coin has a thick rim, then you drill the center out and finish the inside so it's smoother
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
schtickl
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2008 06:57:13 PM »

ok, i dont mean to spoil the fun but... isnt this illegal? i thought you couldnt destroy money.

Nope! It's only illegal if you're trying to use this destroyed money/you're doing it with the intent of cheating people, pretty much.

From this site
"FACT #4: Know how and when it is illegal to destroy money.

Nothing in the law forbids anyone from destroying coins, in spite of a belief to the contrary. Defacing or mutilating a coin and then passing it as currency is another matter. The intent to commit fraud is what is being penalized in this case. As far as paper money is concerned, leaving money in your pants pockets to be drenched in a washing machine won’t harm your bills. That’s because they are made out of linen and cotton fibers, which aren’t affected by water. On this note, here’s an interesting but unverified observation from an online forum:

It’s illegal to modify money in a fraudulent way (i.e. make a defective mint Penny and sell it for a thousand dollars), but it is perfectly legal to retrieve the base metals from money, just as it is legal to possess shredded paper money (and use it for stuffing pillows, toys, etc)."

Tada. Cheesy
It is a myth that goes around a lot, though.

Actually, i do believe it is illegal. I do not care at all lol - i mean, im all for it, but i dont want ot see anyone on here getting in trouble Shocked

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=426715

This  link explains it.

Hope i didnt make anyone TOO sad Sad I totally wish it was legal too because BOY would i have a field day with a few of those REALLY new coins!

Then again -- they DO have those coin crushing machines at zoos and stuff for pennies to turn them into wierd embossed logos lol! --- mmmm 'tis a question that may never be answered Shocked lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008 07:04:43 PM by schtickl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

SoRo Jewelry Design
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2008 10:00:09 PM »

If you read lower on the page it seems to say that it may possibly be illegal but it's one of those things to which the government turns a blind eye.  Looks like no one really has a definite answer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
schtickl
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008 08:15:38 AM »

Yea  - it seems to be a "no-biggie" type law-breaker like jay-walking. I mean, why stop people from hurting Quarters and Pennies when they have REAL criminals out there lol.

Then again, there ARE those REALLY WEIRD cops that stop you for jay-walking, so you never know. Psssht- i could care less! YOU GO GIRL - kick that quarter and half dollar's ass!

You never know, it may come in handy one day haha -
Scenario: "Hey Rachael do you have a quarter? I need just one more for the vending machine"
            "Sorry Sarah, I sure dont! ...... Oh wait! I DO" *Pops coin ring off her finger and pops it in the vending machine! Voila! HEHEHE ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2008 02:37:11 PM »

Tehe, but first you'd have to figure out how to re-hammer it so it's flat and vaguely quarter shaped again!  Now a coin with a hole in it to be a necklace pendant... that could be useful in emergencies!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008 02:37:59 PM by Haylie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Loaded Potato Soup
How to make Creole Gumbo
How to make Pizza
How to make Meatloaf
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...