A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my GREEN ribbon dress (that has no use for wearing in public)  (Read 146311 times)
Tags for this thread: prom_dress , prom , party_dress , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2004 06:57:58 PM »

This is justa  suggestion...maybe some of the more seasoned sewers can comment:  What about doing the ribbons then adding a ribbon stiched down the side of the zipper, to hold all the oter ribbons in place, & cover the raw edges like fold the ribbon over the existing fold in  the fabric, alongside the zipper. It may be hard or impossible, not sure...just a suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessicakes

Callipygian means having shapely buttocks.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2004 07:12:23 PM »

If I were a celebrity you would totally be my designer!!!

~jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2004 07:16:53 PM »

oh my gawd...
i dont know how I could havemissed this post until now...that dress is STUNNING. I for one LIKE the rawness of it...it reminds me of a mermaid.
Gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org')
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2004 02:48:55 PM »

The only trick is finding a cheap source for trimmings.

I'm thinking you could pick up a notions grab-bag at a thrift store.  Smiley They often have bags full of lace hem tape, rick-rack and other goodies that came from the bottoms of old ladies' sewing baskets. They're plentiful and cheap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
           <<  preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.sassycrafter.com')  >>
                     crafty repurposing
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
always_me14
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2004 04:06:50 PM »

I love your dress so much that I registered just to tell you that. I was looking for a pattern for a new formal dress for my college's Mid-Winter Ball. I think I just found it. And the lady that taught me to sew has a TON of ribbon that I'm welcome to use.... Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickle-me-emo
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2004 02:39:18 AM »

i know this is on the same tact as everyone else but woah thats is so beautiful you look stunning in it. i am guessing for a very unexperienced sewer like me it would be a bitch to make and turn out wrong so i will leave it to the proffesionals. i rele love your work and you should definatly think of selling more along the same lines as you can just tell that anyone and everyone woudl love your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriedust112088

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2004 03:12:56 PM »

That's beautiful! The ribbon must have been expensive --- I love trimmings, but they always cost so darned much. You've done a lovely job!

I agree about the beauty part, but I think it would be a lot cheaper than actually buying a prom dress. I know of the dress that she is speaking of and it is GORGIOUS! (I try it on every time I see it, and might I add that it looks stunning on me ;-P) but it is sooo expensive. A lot of times girls spend upwards of $150 dollars on just prom dresses. When you compare the prices, both emotional and monetary, I'm sure this one is a lot better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sakijane
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2004 01:05:27 AM »

That's beautiful! The ribbon must have been expensive --- I love trimmings, but they always cost so darned much. You've done a lovely job!

I agree about the beauty part, but I think it would be a lot cheaper than actually buying a prom dress. I know of the dress that she is speaking of and it is GORGIOUS! (I try it on every time I see it, and might I add that it looks stunning on me ;-P) but it is sooo expensive. A lot of times girls spend upwards of $150 dollars on just prom dresses. When you compare the prices, both emotional and monetary, I'm sure this one is a lot better.

this is true.  I guess I haven't quoted the cost of the dress yet..  all the materials together cost about... 60 dollars, i think.  which isnt much at all for a prom dress... its just to be able to sell the dress.. if done through a boutique, i wouldnt feel right unless i took about 75 to 100 for profit, and since the shop usually takes about 50%, the dress would be around 300 dollars in a store.  and when it gets that pricey, you might as well buy the designer version.

The only trick is finding a cheap source for trimmings.

I'm thinking you could pick up a notions grab-bag at a thrift store. Smiley They often have bags full of lace hem tape, rick-rack and other goodies that came from the bottoms of old ladies' sewing baskets. They're plentiful and cheap!

i didn't even think of this and i think thats an amazing idea.  you might not have enough length to wrap around your body, but probably enough for the skirt part, since that takes the most ribbon anyway..

Edgeofheaven..  whoa totally skipped your post somehow.. and let me (as a relative newbie as well) welcome you to the wonderful world of craftster!  lets also welcome Always me 14  Cheesy    anyway, I think you might be able to do it, but in this case I would probably hand-sew all of the ribbons on.  I placed the ribbons on when it was open and flat on the ground, and since you'd be working with something 3-d, it will be trickier.  you may also need a body to put the dress on while you're pinning the ribbons.  I would probably work the ribbons around the zipper in this case too, and like trufflegirl said, folding the ribbons so the raw edges don't show.  or... OH!  I just had an idea..  You would need to hand sew this too, probably but.. instead of one length of ribbon going around your entire body, you could just have the ribbon going halfway and sewing it, and overlapping billions of ribbons, that start and end at different points all over the dress.  that way you don't have to put it on a body either, because you're only working with half of the dress at once. 

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004 03:27:42 AM by sakijane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2004 09:25:44 PM »

Why wouldn't you wear that in the public? I know I would! Especially when Ling takes me to China Town Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kylieultra
hippopotophile

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2004 10:31:25 PM »

Hmmm, would all different coloured ribbons look too silly?

Cos I have HEAPS of different ribbons from remnant bags I collected for art a while ago, and would love to do something like this to a top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean White Shoes
Rihanna Wins Battle Against Topshop
5 Fashion Items Worth the Splurge
Best Shorts For Your Shape
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...