A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: itchy wool  (Read 2582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kanhakanha
« on: March 10, 2007 10:33:50 AM »

i've looked on the board for how to make wool bearable against the skin. i remember something in a clapotis thread once about using fabric softener, but can't seem to find it again. does anyone know how to make wool not so itchy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007 03:43:43 PM »

You could use a little fabric softerner in the water you soak your object in. Others use hair conditioner instead.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
AWynkoop
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007 04:04:17 PM »

Try Merino wool...both of my sisters think wool is itchy as can be, but love my merino sweater! Neither believed it was actually wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007 06:56:01 AM »

I find that a good soaking in Eucalan makes wool softer, however some wool is just itchy and nothing you do will ever soften it enough to make it bearable to wear next to your skin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
queenoftroy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007 07:08:03 AM »

an old solution to soften wool was to simmer it in fresh urine.
(sheep or human!)

alternately you can use a mild soapy amonia in hot water, and soak, with out aggitating for a half hour or so, drain, rince with warm

this will often soften itchy wool.  amonia is cheap enough, (compaired to top quality stuff like Euclan!) its worth a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitknitter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007 08:37:58 AM »

an old solution to soften wool was to simmer it in fresh urine.
(sheep or human!)

alternately you can use a mild soapy amonia in hot water, and soak, with out aggitating for a half hour or so, drain, rince with warm

this will often soften itchy wool.  amonia is cheap enough, (compaired to top quality stuff like Euclan!) its worth a try.

How would one get the ammonia smell out afterwards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenoftroy
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007 12:30:04 PM »

a good rinse or two, and its fine.. (when dry)

its an off beat solution, but it does work..
one reason 'heirloom' baby blankets and clothes are so soft is years of being soaked (unintentionally perhaps, but soaked none the less)in urine..(stale urine turns, into an amonia the same way wine turns into vinegar--its a natural process)

the amonia smell disappears as the amonia evaporates and it does this as as it dries.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007 02:27:17 PM »

You think soaking it was bad - pity the people whose job it was to walk around in urine stamping fibres underfoot to soften them! Urine was also used to bleach/whiten leather.

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenoftroy
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007 03:01:54 PM »

right you are redwitch--there were awful jobs in days past..

Whitening leather (using urine) sounds bad, (and it was) but tanning (turning leather a deep brown) required another form of nitrogen.--dog feases.. and people had the job of collecting them, and mashing them and smearing them onto the raw leather.

today, many chemical are manufactored--modern nitrogen is extracted from the air-not extracted from raw material.   in days past, 'waste' from various animals (guano, etc) was the source. and dealing in these materials was a real (if disgusting) business.

in NYC at the South Street SeaPort Musuem, there is a ship, (the Peking) that carried guano.(from SA to US)  the ship was 'decommissioned' more than 50 year ago, and it still stinks.. (i can't imagine what is smelled like when it was full of 'cargo'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007 03:40:11 PM »

Faeces and urine are different levels of disgustingness, I reckon. Especially since urine is easier to wash off and feel clean after (I'm just guessing). But urine in a healthy person is actually sterile (doesn't contain bacteria, viruses, anything like that to make you sick). I'd be a pee-walker anyday over a dog-do tanner!
Mm, what shall I title this post?

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Crop Top
Back To School: Send Your Kid Back to School in Style
Back To School: 4 Hot Looks For the Fall Semester
The Hottest Celebrities on the Red Carpet
Recommended Clothes for a Beach Holiday
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...