A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Career Day/Halloween Costume for dd #1  (Read 2663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Princess Jenny

Its a Dogs Life

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004 12:32:40 PM »

Last Friday was career day for my 7th grader.  She has wanted to be a veterinarian forever, so I whipped up some scrubs for her.  They will do double duty for Halloween, once she found out she couldn't get a cut from her sisters' trick or treating candy, she decided to dress up too.
Including pattern (bought at 99cent sale at JoAnns), the entire scrub outfit only cost $5.50 to make.  Cool!
I embroidered her name and DVM on the scrub shirt pocket.  She said no one understood DVM meant doctor of veterinary medicine--I said it was better than dh's suggestion to embroider VD (veterinary dr). Roll Eyes
Here's a  couple of pics:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
IceCreamCone
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004 08:15:55 PM »

Yay yay.
Good job!

Let your daughter know that for good experience on becoming a vet, she can always volunteer at her local animal shelter.
We have a girl who's been volunteering for a long time (who plans on going to school to be a vet), and you can bet she's going to get good recommendations!

She can walk around with the clinic staff and learn the medicine dosages, and we answer all her questions.

Good luck to her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kkiinnkkyy
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004 11:47:37 PM »

Let your daughter know that for good experience on becoming a vet, she can always volunteer at her local animal shelter.

That's so true. Volunteering at the animal shelter was enough to put me OFF being a vet (carrying animals in to be euthanised was hard enough - how could I actually be the one doing the euthanising?!). On the other hand, we've got college and high school kids in all the time who, after volunteering, just strengthen their resolve in becoming a vet.

It looks great, Jenny. And that's really cheap! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men.  ~Leonardo Da Vinci
laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004 03:21:11 PM »

Ahaha, we just had career day at our high school, and a lot of kids had scrubs like that, but having them homemade is way cooler.  Your daughter is adorable, too Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
Princess Jenny

Its a Dogs Life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004 07:36:49 PM »

Thanks, guys Grin
Ratfinkpink, volunteering at a Vet clinic or animal shelter is  a great suggestion.  We have 2 saint bernards that we adopted from a Saint Bernard Rescue in Los Angeles, so she already has a wonderful head start knowing how important proper animal care is, and the sad consequences of animals being displaced because owners did not have enough knowledge of the breed before purchasing, back yard breeders, and pet store puppy mills.  She is saving her allowance to donate to the rescue as part of their annual fundraisers.  And she has been a vegetarian since she was 4 (We all are expect dh).  I think she make an excellent vet one day. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sara_

supa*BLING*ing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004 11:13:24 PM »

lol VD Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebeccaks
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004 10:04:36 AM »

i work at a vet clinic, and have moved up the ladder very quickly. all i did was call one day and ask if i could volunteer. let your daughter know that until you are an acutal vet your job is 90% cleaning and 10% 'fun stuff'
i wouldnt trade my job for anything in this world. its the most satisfying job ever. good luck to her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004 09:52:45 PM »

Hey, for the Halloween thing you should buy some matching elbow-length rubber gloves  (you know, mad scientist style).  Paint a little red on them... Maybe get an industrial-style apron to paint some red blotches on too since I'm sure she doesn't want to mess up those excellent scrubs.  And finish with a mouth/nose protector.   Hehehe, she would definitely have to tease out her hair too, give it a really crazy look.  She could say "Trick or treat.... or organ transplant!!!  Mwa-ha-ha!"   

Yeah ok so I got a little carried away there.  Being a veterinarian is excellent for Halloween too.  It's just so...wholesome!  Like being the good witch when you could have been the bad witch.  Wink

When I used to work in a lab for NIEHS I had this dream of "borrowing" an official labcoat and some of the latex gloves that we used.  I wanted to get a mouse mask and cut slits in the gloves to have fur peeking through, maybe some claws coming through too...  It would have been great.
But I was too scared to take a labcoat off the property and too cheap to buy a mouse mask.  Smiley

Lystessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Philippa Gregory on The Plantagenets
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 2
Eric LeMay Talks About Immortal Milk
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Talk About The Adventures of Meno Series
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...