A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue bird costume  (Read 1677 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rangerbeth
« on: October 24, 2004 11:11:19 AM »

My friend and I are going as "birds and bees" so I need a very inexpensive and quick bluebird costume.  So far what I have is: orange long socks for the legs, pair of blue jeans rolled up over that, a few blue feathers to do who knows what with. I was thinking about getting a blue sweatshirt and making some wings somehow, also I was going to spray my short hair blue.  Any other suggestions? I am trying to avoid looking too frumpy.  Thanks! By the way, Here is a picture of some unfortunate girl in a similar costume.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/tinklav/bluebird_front.jpg
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011 05:46:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicegirl512
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004 07:22:32 AM »

Those wings would be easy to make, just a half-circle of fabric and then stitch them by hand to your sweatshirt. 

Put on the sweatshirt and hold out your arms, and have someone measure from your back to your wrist.  This is the radius of your half circle. 
Take blue chiffon fabric and fold it in half.  Using your radius measurement, measure down the fold, and then all the way across the fabric (as though you were using a compass like in geometry).  You should have marked a quarter circle.  Cut it out, open it up, and voila, a half circle. You can finish the edges using a rolled hem foot on your sewing machine, or dilute fabric glue (the white kind that comes in a bottle and is similar to elmer's glue, not the clear kind that comes in a tube) and paint it along the edges with a paint brush to prevent fraying (put plastic grocery bags under it, the glue will stick to cardboard).  You can sew or glue on feathers (use the clear kind that comes in a tube and is touluene based for that), sequins, beads, etc. for decoration.  The sew it onto the sweatshirt with a whip stitch.  Easy.

You can make a beak out of felt and use elastic straps to hold it on, or make it out of craft foam and glue it to your nose with spirit gum.

LOVE the blue hair idea, that will look so cool.  You should slick it back and put a few feathers in it.

For a birds and bees theme, I'd also make a big red heart for your chest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
rangerbeth
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004 08:18:18 AM »

You are SO clever! Thanks so much for the wings instructions. The heart idea is GENIOUS! I was trying to make it look sort of cartoony.  I think I will paint big red balls on my cheeks.  Craft foam it is for the beak.  I am not familiar with spirit gum, but I was looking for a nontoxic glue for skin. You are the answer to all my questions. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Program by Suzanne Young
The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper
Valerie Harper Talks About Her Audiobook I, Rhoda
Manology Cover Shoot With Tyrese and Rev Run
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...