A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help Sprucing Up a Boring Cubicle  (Read 4699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MeOwZa
« on: January 12, 2004 07:09:11 PM »

Hey Everyone

A good friend of mine just got a paid internship with Nortel & today was his first day of work. As soon as he got home he called me and asked me to make him something crafty for his ugly cubicle. I asked him what he had in mind and all he said was-- and I quote...

"just something to make me the envy of my all my coworkers"

I have no problem going out to buy supplies but I'd like to keep the project around $20 max. I have the usual crafting supplies-- a ton of construction paper, hot glue gun, etc. etc. etc. I have bins full of supplies.

I was thinkin of making a little "clothes line" for him to hang pictures on. But if I do that I'd like to do something else as well.

And remember, nothing too cutesy-- he is a boy afterall!!

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004 10:01:50 PM »

You could glue some bottle caps down the top of a stapler (label sides up so it's not pokey.)

You could turn a plain (appropriately sized) cardboard box into his in-bin decorating it with something crafty but manly like duct tape or bottle caps or comics.

If there's a band or comic or something he's really into you could make him a whole themed desk set (in-bin, pencil cup, stapler, junk holder for paper clips, rubber bands and post-its.)

I think it would be cool to make a whole desk set out of industrial type things like duct tape and odds and ends from the hardware store. Or you could do a computer tech-y theme with chunks of old circuit boards and wires.

And if you go with a theme you could make him a funky nameplate (since the corporate ones are always so blah.)

Hope my rambling sparked some creativity for you!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004 08:26:59 PM »

i went to ikea and i bought cheapo wooden frames  right before i went off to college. i never took them with me but during winter break i realized they were just sitting there so i went to lee art supply in NYC and bought a few basic paints. now i have 3 really cute frames hanging in my room. so you could do something like that
then my mom went nuts on the crafty stuff this x-mas (b/c we're so broke) and she made me a calandar and got it spiral-bound @ kinko's.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004 03:48:46 AM »

i HOPE this image is working.  There's the link right beneath in case not.

Soda/Beer can pencil holder

Look!  Now keep in mind, I made this at 3 am because I couldn't sleep (which is maybe why it looks a little ghetto), and also keep in mind that a guy would probably like a beer can better, but yay!  Soda/beer can pencil holder!  Maybe you could do other desk stuff with beer/soda stuff - get a little cardboard box from craft store and cover it in beer/soda labels peeled off glass/plastic bottles?  So easy, obviously, since I'm doing it at 3 am - just cut and the duct tape is on top to protect from sharp edges, on the bottom for aesthetic purposes. =)  Inside is lined with cardboard for strength.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyjoy726
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004 07:10:29 AM »

if i know anything it would be sprucing up a boring cubicle!!!

1 - you should ask him if he has magnetic or fabric walls.  if magnetic, there are are great magnet ideas on this forum... or, use the same techniques to add to push-pins

2 - if he does have magnetic walls, get those printable magnet sheets and make custom magnets for him, or even a magnetic frame for pictures

3 - nothing says office like a great MUG or WATER BOTTLE... i have this glass that has a line in the middle that reads "optimist" above the line and "pessimist" below... for a glass, mebbe you could frost the glass and handpaint it?

4 - if you have a cool chinese grocery near you, i also buy tea in those tea decorated tea tins that i've glued together for holding pens, paper clips, etc...

5 - vintage simple toys are awesome!  i have a jacob's ladder and wooden yo-yo that i have just in case i'm ever stuck on really long phone calls.  since they're wooden you could also personalize them.  a really great vintage toy for boys are those old wooden planes (the ones that came in those packages with the rubber bands for the propellers).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- fortune cookie of the week -
"do not let great ambitions overshadow small success"
lucky numbers:  7, 19, 22, 25, 27, 33
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004 07:15:33 AM »

if he has fuzzy cubicle walls just add -- the hook side of self adhesive velcro to the back of anything to hook into the nasty fuzzy cubicle walls ---- and that will help - flowers also spruce a small drab area up - bring him some fresh flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babyjoy726
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004 08:33:07 AM »

ooh... another idea, make him a wrist-rest for his keyboard or his mouse using corn-feed like in the spa package posting
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=1259;start=msg7621#msg7621

but insert a thick base to shape it like a foam board or something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- fortune cookie of the week -
"do not let great ambitions overshadow small success"
lucky numbers:  7, 19, 22, 25, 27, 33
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004 04:13:04 PM »

Hello ... =)
A CD disco ball ... http://www.azcentral.com/rep/style/articles/1228discoball28.html

masaic desk set... maybe ypou could use bottle caps?   Also glue bobble caps to push pins
http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty/0530craftyideas30.html
cigar box memo board   http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty/articles/0621craftyideas21.html

Bambo, it's really easy to deal with! Use the tall thin glass vases (alot of time these are used for a signle floating candle) put about 2 inches of rocks, marbles, gravel ... in th ebottom of the vase, rinse of the stems & arragne then how oyu want them the add more filler rocks almost to the top of the vase. Fill with spring water. (most offices have a water bubbler) Give him a bottle of liquid plant food & tell him to put a few drops of it in each mnth & to fill the water once a week ... so easy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004 09:04:20 AM »

I'd go with the stationary set. the clothesline sounds really cute, too! I have one Smiley Maybe you could buy a cheap pin-board and decorate the edge with some neat pins to match?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004 08:25:43 AM »

Meowza ...
What did you decide to make for him??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take 3D Photographs
How to Draw Betty Boop
How to Miniaturize Picture Using Photoshop
Photoshop Basics: Correcting White Balance
How to Stitch Together a Panoramic Photo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...